Game Well Dried Up

Sage
I'm out of ideas for games that I could make by myself (spare for some help with music and art). I plan to do all the coding. I've made a simple Cocoa game (though prefer SDL and OpenGL) and a simple engine for a sidescroller. I can't think of more to make the sidescroller work better (physics) nor can I think of a good story to use it with so it's just sitting on a shelf right now.

Does anyone have any simple game ideas (puzzles or such) that I could use just to make some more games? I'm thinking I might try some old board games but I'm not sure just yet. The idea of AI is kind of scaring me right now.
Quote this message in a reply
SimReality/Nick Wrote:I'm out of ideas for games that I could make by myself (spare for some help with music and art). I plan to do all the coding. I've made a simple Cocoa game (though prefer SDL and OpenGL) and a simple engine for a sidescroller. I can't think of more to make the sidescroller work better (physics) nor can I think of a good story to use it with so it's just sitting on a shelf right now.

Does anyone have any simple game ideas (puzzles or such) that I could use just to make some more games? I'm thinking I might try some old board games but I'm not sure just yet. The idea of AI is kind of scaring me right now.
you've made games? Blink

Rasp

but seriously, um.... try polishing your games. Finished games >> non finished games.
I recall that OpenGL sidescroller engine being a pretty cool start- why not slap some textures on your primitives and work from there?

But if you're totally out of ideas already- play some more games. Dig up some early coin-op and 8/16 bit console titles. Think about what's fun in whatever you play.

Justin Ficarrotta
http://www.justinfic.com
"It is better to be The Man than to work for The Man." - Alexander Seropian
rossum
Unregistered

Yeah old games are a good reference, especially old obscure ones. But maybe try the opposite and get inspiration from non-game things, like a book on the symbology of the ancient egyptians, make all the ships cartuches or look at a book on biology and make the ships different types of flying molocules and when you upgrade with new protons you change into a different molocule, like you start out a hydrogen molocule and pick up a couple of oxygen molocules and you have water attack abilities. Just some random thoughts.

I think 2-d side scrollers are fun as hell but most of the time 90% of them look and act the same, IMHO. Try something radically different.

or instead of ships use people i was just playing a vertical shooter with people instead of ships on the dreamcast the other day and was wondering why it hasn't been done more often. Something to think about anyway.
JustinFic Wrote:I recall that OpenGL sidescroller engine being a pretty cool start- why not slap some textures on your primitives and work from there?

But if you're totally out of ideas already- play some more games. Dig up some early coin-op and 8/16 bit console titles. Think about what's fun in whatever you play.

Back in my day, the Commodore 64 had tons of great games. None of this silly 8-bit console crap where you get more than 16 colors and two TWO! fire buttons. Smile But yeah, if you're out of ideas, you're not playing enough games. Try playing some of the online flash games for some inspiration on fun projects or some of the Classic MacOS games; I've been dying to do a remake of Chiral myself.

The brains and fingers behind Malarkey Software (plus caretaker of the world's two brattiest felines).
do have really good ideas. They lack good gfx and sound but the gameplay is really great. Play old games and get the point, find out what's fun in them. Then do a remake, but don't get caught in the gfx-hype. Just a few titles with really interesting ideas:

Necromancer
Drelbs
Rainbow Walker

I'd also love to see a good lady-bug clone ...
Founder
>I'd also love to see a good lady-bug clone ...
What's wrong with Gaichu?

If you want to work with Cocoa, grab the Hooptie code. Go through it. Maybe add features and expand it.

If working with SDL, look at all the SDL games on the SDL page and see if there are any that need a hand in finding their way to Mac OS X.

The feedback from the uDevGames voting has a field for the type of classic game that gamers want to see on the Mac. I recall seeing Q*Bert.

If I were you, I might look at games that require minimum graphic assets, so that you can concentrate on finishing the game. For example, "Tempest." (Vector game)

By the way, if you have a side shooter. It would be nice to turn it into MoonPatrol. Last year, someone was going to enter such a game in uDG, but dropped out. Scramble is also a game that could be re-made.

Also, rather than set your side-scroller in space... why not have it underwater? In deep underwater caverns?

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Other good places for inspiration are movies and tv. Don't rule them out Smile

For instance I just saw the remake of Dawn of the Dead for the first time around Halloween. Towards the end, when they take the vans out and start running down zombies by the hundreds and there's heads exploding and propane tanks blowing up and everyone's getting wasted by chainsaws and... I need a moment Love Cry

Justin Ficarrotta
http://www.justinfic.com
"It is better to be The Man than to work for The Man." - Alexander Seropian
JustinFic Wrote:Other good places for inspiration are movies and tv. Don't rule them out Smile

For instance I just saw the remake of Dawn of the Dead for the first time around Halloween. Towards the end, when they take the vans out and start running down zombies by the hundreds and there's heads exploding and propane tanks blowing up and everyone's getting wasted by chainsaws and... I need a moment Love Cry

God damnit, thats our udevgames entry next year sssssssh don't let the cat out of the bag 10 months early for crying out loud!!!
Make Klax, Nick. To my knowledge, nobody has made a Klax for Macs.
JustinFic Wrote:Other good places for inspiration are movies and tv. Don't rule them out Smile

So can we expect to see a chainsaw in the next update of Kill Dr. Cote? Smile

The brains and fingers behind Malarkey Software (plus caretaker of the world's two brattiest felines).
I just lost a huge post with lots of games. Here's a shorter one:
Space Harrier
Fantasy Zone for SMS (using the trackball made it great)
Duck Tales for NES (or was it Rescue Rangers? - if I remember right it had cooperative stuff.)
Metroid has never had a good clone made of it.
Root Beer (or just beer) Tapper is a great simple game with deep skill set to learn.
Sinistar was made for pc's but it lost all the kinetic energy of the original.
There hasn't been a really good Gauntlet style game in a long time.

I love Xybots, but it might be weird on computers that are so accustomed to first person shooters. The key to this one is cooperation.

Use a board game. I've always wanted to see a good computer version of Carcasonne (the Ark of the Covenant version is the most fun) or Settlers of Catan. Please take advantage of the interactivity of the medium though! Gold Geier is a pretty cool game, but it doesn't know it's on a computer. Wink

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain." - Wizard of Oz
Will P. (Akisha) and I nearly did a version of Carcasonne. I wish we had, its an amazing game.
How about something like Final Fantasy Tactics, except for mac. If i remember correctly, there was something like that for 21 days, it looked cool. Does anyone remember the link?

Alex
Shivers Wrote:Will P. (Akisha) and I nearly did a version of Carcasonne. I wish we had, its an amazing game.

Sorry to go off topic, but have you heard from Will lately? He seems to have vanished as of July or so. I've tried sending him e-mails, but gotten no response (no bounce, either). His web address now points to someone's printer... Huh

- Alex Diener