Some basic uDG questions - entry requirements

Perhaps I'm just exhausted but I can't find the anwers to some very basic questions.

1. Do we need to include a uDG/iDG readme in our distribution? If so, where is it?

2. Do we need the "uDevGames 2004 entry- visit uDevGames.com for more games!" notice in our game this year?

3. What is the deadline for submitting the prize list- is it Nov 9, or do you only have to submit it if you win? If the former, where do we submit it and in what form?

I guess what disturbs me a little is that the official rules on the uDG website don't seem to address any of these questions, yet experience with past uDG contests suggests that I will be disqualified if I miss one of these details. Can someone just point me to the answers? Hopefully this is just me being stupid and the contest requirements are obvious to everyone, especially the people who are new this year.

Thanks!

Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.
Quote this message in a reply
Founder
>Perhaps I'm just exhausted but I can't find the anwers to some very basic questions.
I know. I've been so busy ever since uDG started in my real job. I haven't even LOOKED at the games!!!! Outside of deleting people who have dropped out, I haven't even worked on the uDG site since "finishing." Can't really use that word sense it is missing some key content, like a FAQ. I recall asking for help but... you know how it goes....

>1. Do we need to include a uDG/iDG readme in our distribution? If so, where is it?
Yes. I need to put it online.

>Do we need the "uDevGames 2004 entry- visit uDevGames.com for more games!" notice in >our game this year?
Yes. I think that is stated someplace in the rules page, though it may say to go to idevgames and not uDG's site.

>What is the deadline for submitting the prize list- is it Nov 9, or do you only have to submit >it if you win?
Frankly, I'm only concerned with getting a prize list late from people who win. Wink Since it holds up everything. I'll look into this issue soon. For now, don't worry about a deadline for this issue.

>If the former, where do we submit it and in what form?
I'll make up a new form/page and let the winners know.
If might be a good idea to THINK about what you want now in your head.

>I guess what disturbs me a little is that the official rules on the uDG website don't seem to >address any of these questions,
Again sorry, but without much help this year, and a major change ahead of me in my life, focusing on anything for the last few months has been ultra hard. Remember, we almost didn't have the contest this year with all the downtime, and the lateness in getting ready and getting sponsors! But in the end, I buckled down and pushed it forward because I felt it was so vital to keep going.

I know that you are just expressing normal concerns and not complaining, especially since you've had a hand in the backroom work on uDG in the past and realize the effort involved.

(Crossing fingers) I'm planning on getting many of my to-dos done this weekend for uDevGames, though it will be tough because I have to give a presentation for my day job in a few days that will have a major impact on my career. Everything is so stressful these days. Sad[/quote]

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Quote:I know that you are just expressing normal concerns and not complaining,

Yes, definitely.

Quote:(Crossing fingers) I'm planning on getting many of my to-dos done this weekend for uDevGames, though it will be tough because I have to give a presentation for my day job in a few days that will have a major impact on my career. Everything is so stressful these days. Sad

Obviously your health and career come first. That's easy to say, but I mean it: as we saw last year, unforeseen delays for parts of the contest didn't destroy the contest, they were just inconvenient. Hope it doesn't come to that, but you know what I'm saying.

Now I'm off to MY real job- thanks for all the answers!

We still need a readme! I have taken the liberty of editing last years' and pasted the text below.

At this point I would recommend creating the proper texfile and simply emailing it to every team with a mass-mailing (you can also remind them of the next deadline.) Or put it on the website and email a link to everyone.

Hope this helps,
Matt

uDevGames 2004 ReadMe.txt Wrote:uDevGames - The Macintosh Game Development Contest

This game was originally entered into the uDevGames 2004 contest, held by
iDevGames.com. The contest finishes on November 6 2004, and voting runs
for two weeks starting on November 8 2004.

To vote for this game, download more games, download source code, or for more
information about the contest, please visit http://www.idevgames.com/

This package is provided by the original developer. For licensing, acceptable
use, distribution terms and other issues, please read the accompanying
documentation.

As per the conditions of entry into the contest, all contestants were required
to provide the source code of their entries which will later be made public on
uDevGames.com in accordance with the entrant's choice of Open Source licensing
arrangements.

Questions concerning this package or the source should be addressed to the
original developer, whose contact information is contained in the accompanying
documentation. For questions regarding the uDevGames 2004 contest, please contact editor@idevgames.com

Founder
Email has been sent out. Much thanks!

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Drat! I see a link in there to iDevGames.com that should have been changed to uDevGames.com. Sorry about that! Not that I've gotten the email yet, but I expect to.

Maybe the old link is good enough, particularly if people put the proper link in their game like they are supposed to. (Although that 's not on the official rules page. Next time you contact everyone I would let them know about the requirement for a notice like "uDevGames 2004 entry- visit uDevGames.com for more games!" prominently somewhere in their game.)

I never got that readme. Did anyone else?

Perhaps you could fix that one link and resend? (And also inform people of the in-game notice requirement? If you don't tell them soon then I would simply drop it as a requirement this year- there may be some new people who didn't know the rule from last year.)

Thanks!

MattDiamond Wrote:I never got that readme. Did anyone else?

I got it.

Yet for some strange reason my email server keeps claiming uDevGames emails are spam, even though it has been told more than once they are not, yet it has no problem with iDevGames emails which come from the same domain Huh
Ironic. Can someone forward me that email? I suppose I can create one from the text I mangled above, but I don't want my readme to differ from anyone else's.

I usually get uDG messages no problem...

Thanks,
Matt
squarebin "AT" comcast.net

Here is the text:

Quote:This game was originally entered into the uDevGames 2004 contest, held by
iDevGames.com. The contest finishes on November 6 2004, and voting runs
for two weeks starting on November 8 2004.

To vote for this game, download more games, download source code, or for more
information about the contest, please visit http://www.udevgames.com/

This package is provided by the original developer. For licensing, acceptable
use, distribution terms and other issues, please read the accompanying
documentation.

As per the conditions of entry into the contest, all contestants were required
to provide the source code of their entries which will later be made public on
uDevGames.com in accordance with the entrant's choice of Open Source licensing
arrangements.

Questions concerning this package or the source should be addressed to the
original developer, whose contact information is contained in the accompanying
documentation. For questions regarding the uDevGames 2004 contest, please contact Carlos Camacho, Editor-in-Chief of iDevGames, editor@idevgames.com
Awesome- the link I was agonizing over had already been fixed. Carlos sees all, knows all.

Thanks for the text. I'll put it in a file called "uDevGames 2004 ReadMe.txt". If there was anything else of interest in the email I hope someone mentions it...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Consider using libstem for your uDevGames entry! ThemsAllTook 2 5,272 Jul 1, 2011 02:10 PM
Last Post: stevejohnson
  Help test out Chipmunk's auto-geometry stuff in your entry! Skorche 0 4,752 Jul 1, 2011 09:31 AM
Last Post: Skorche
  Entry OK? pinguoren 8 5,846 Mar 4, 2009 03:51 PM
Last Post: pinguoren
  Long lost uDev entry.. Johan 8 5,833 Jan 29, 2009 02:46 AM
Last Post: Johan
  3DU System requirements? StarManta 9 6,454 Dec 16, 2006 09:06 AM
Last Post: BeyondCloister