3-D modeling/animation apps

I know this has been discussed each year, but I felt that some discussion needs to happen around this topic yet again.

According to the current game industry, most companies require firm knowledge of Maya modeling and animation skills. If people are serious about working for professional firms or even in the general game industry, should 3-D newbies just learn with Maya Personal edition and bypass all the other 3-D suites?

ProRattaFactor
(Retro-infused games for iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, and Mac)
Quote this message in a reply
I found Maya to be a bit too hard.... that being said, I have found myself to like Lightwave... if you are on campus, try to get to a art lab and try it out.
98% of game studios expect you to know PC software, so I guess that means, get a different computer too.
Besides 3-D Studio Max, most industry standard graphic and 3-D intensive apps are already cross-platform. OS flexibility/skill is not really an issue nowadays. I think it would be a good idea to create a list of 3-D apps and categorize them. I'll start it:

edit: I'll constantly update this list
Industry standard (commercial apps)
  • Maya
  • 3-D Studio Max (Windows only)
  • Electric Image Animation System
  • SoftImage (Windows, Linux only)
  • Lightwave

Studio grade
  • Carrara 3
  • Cinema 4D
  • Hash Animation Master
  • Blender (3D app and development suite)
  • Vue 4 Professional
  • FormZ (modeler only)
  • Terragen (terrain generation)
  • Poser
OpenSource modelers
  • Wings 3D
other non-categorized apps
  • Meshwork
  • Cheeta3D
  • Swift3D
  • Sphaera3D
  • Jpatch
  • Pixels3D
  • Amorphium
  • SketchUp
  • uvmapper

There must be more. Let's build this list and hopefully at some point have a place on the idevgame site where this list can be presented with links to eductional versions and product descriptions.

ProRattaFactor
gatti Wrote:Besides 3-D Studio Max, most industry standard graphic and 3-D intensive apps are already cross-platform. OS flexibility/skill is not really an issue nowadays. I think it would be a good idea to create a list of 3-D apps and categorize them. I'll start it:

Industry standard (commercial apps)
  • Maya
  • 3-D Studio Max --- not cross platform
  • Electric Image Animation System --- not used in game development
  • SoftImage --- not cross platform
  • Lightwave

Studio grade
  • Carrara 3 --- not used in game development
  • Cinema 4D --- rarely used in professional game development
  • Hash Animation Master --- only used by studios with no budget
  • Wings 3D --- rarely used in general, not studio grade, no animation or rendering
  • Blender (Is this a 3D app, or development suite) -- both

There must be more. Let's build this list and hopefully at some point have a place on the idevgame site where this list can be presented with links to eductional versions and product descriptions.

Why not just link to 3DBuzz?

You forgot:
    Meshwork
    Cheeta3D
    Swift3D
    Poser
    FormZ
    Sphaera3D
    Jpatch
    Pixels3D
    Amorphium
    SketchUp
    and whats that Bryce replacement?
igame3d Wrote:and whats that Bryce replacement?[/list]
I've seen many terrain generators, but I have YET to see something with the power and versatility (and nice rendering) of bryce
igame3d Wrote:98% of game studios expect you to know PC software, so I guess that means, get a different computer too.[/url]

If you are any good then the platform is transparent. The same is true of coding.

igame3d Wrote:Why not just link to 3DBuzz

Because when someone searches this site they will not find anything if there is just a link to an external site.
igame3d Wrote:and whats that Bryce replacement?[/list]

Vue 4 Professional? Terragen?
As long as you don't forget that it's you who has to do the modelling/animation, you can use pretty much everything.

I've been using Cinema 4D for some time now, mostly because of its user interface, but I've found that I can easily switch between 3D apps. Just don't give me 3D Studio Max. I just hate that application.

But I guess Maya is better also because it has more file exporters than Cinema 4D

"When you dream, there are no rules..."
igame3d Wrote:You forgot:
    Meshwork
    Cheeta3D
    Swift3D
    Poser
    FormZ
    Sphaera3D
    Jpatch
    Pixels3D
    Amorphium
    SketchUp
    and whats that Bryce replacement?
Well, I didn't really forget other 3D apps out there. I just wanted to give others opportunity to mention other applications that they either actively use or had heard of.

ProRattaFactor
jamie
Unregistered

"If you are any good then the platform is transparent. The same is true of coding."

While this is true, I think you may be missing the point of the original post...

"If people are serious about working for professional firms or even in the general game industry"

The key here is working for a professional firm. If you expect to get hired by a specific firm then you are going to have to use the software and hardware they already have established. I've worked mainly in the design and publishing field and while the software differs the concept remains the same. Companies already have workflow and systems in place and new employees need to fit into that balance. If they don't fit or are at least unwilling to adapt then chances are they will not get hired. If you are proficient in Cinema4D and want to work for a Maya shop, you can't expect them to adapt to you, and certainly you couldn't be an island working on your own platform. Jobs need to get passed around on a regular basis, everyone in the shop needs to be able to access and use everyone else's files, just like the design and publishing business.

Now if you were thinking of going freelance or starting your own shop then truly you could pick and choose jobs that would make the difference in software or hardware transparent. As long as the finished product is what the client asks for usually they are not so particular how you got to that point, unless of-course some special demands are made so they can put the files back into their specific workflow at some point, then that may become and issue.
skyhawk Wrote:I've seen many terrain generators, but I have YET to see something with the power and versatility (and nice rendering) of bryce

Thats probably because none of them have been on the market for 10 years like Bryce has. Just think for some of the people here, they were still in diapers, or at least kindergarten when Bryce came out (same for lightwave and Cinema4D).

BeyondCloister Wrote:Because when someone searches this site they will not find anything if there is just a link to an external site.
True but many people tend to not search the site (as is found by the same questions being asked over and over). Its much more logical to search the resources of the particular application at the developers website, places like 3Dbuzz,3Dlinks or even google, than to expect the information to be here, and the links to stay updated.

One more resource: UVMapper for .obj models.

This guy has some info on modeling for Aleph One, and plans on moving to dim3.

Here's a model made in Wings3D, on a Mac:
[Image: nuggle.jpg]
Not by me though, that app confuses me.
here's another one
igame3d Wrote:True but many people tend to not search the site (as is found by the same questions being asked over and over). Its much more logical to search the resources of the particular application at the developers website, places like 3Dbuzz,3Dlinks or even google, than to expect the information to be here, and the links to stay updated.
If the main idevgames site had this information for game developers there would be no need to ask questions of this kind. This collective process will be used to tie up this basic question for modelers and animators who are new to game development. idevgames should most definitely contain information of this kind or else it's not providing visual artists with the same level of education as it does for programmers.

ProRattaFactor
DudetheCreator
Unregistered

Maya is very expensive!!! I already have it but it's a home learning thing, everytime you render the words "Not for commercial use!!" are in the background.

What are the best 3D free modellers for Mac os X?

I Have cinema4d to, but it cant export to mesh, which makes things hard... Is there a plugin for cinema 4d CE 6 that makes it capable of exporting into .mesh?

I am VERY cheap, so anything free is welcome with me. (Sweet that rhymes...)
If you have C4D and are using dim3 then export to "wavefront", ie, .obj.

I'm pretty sure thats supported.

Forget about .mesh, like it was just a bad dream you had after eating to many moth balls.

Check out Wings3D, has a learning curve but as you see by the example I posted, it has potential as well.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Advanced poly modeling set, ORIONFLAME .3, is released ! killMeNow 2 3,688 Sep 2, 2005 01:41 PM
Last Post: killMeNow
  Modeling artists Buzzboy_109 15 6,995 Aug 4, 2005 12:39 PM
Last Post: unknown
  3D modeling Buzzboy_109 54 20,196 Jul 30, 2005 05:54 PM
Last Post: NCarter
  Modeling Units Nick 8 4,978 May 9, 2005 12:22 PM
Last Post: Duane
  Character Joint Modeling whogben 1 2,784 Nov 26, 2003 04:40 AM
Last Post: morgant