Microsoft Advertisements

It seems a bit weird to me that we have advertisements from Microsoft floating around at the top of the board. Anyone else seen these?

I mean, I don't have anything against Microsoft (I rather like it, really), it just seems weird to be advertising its products on a Mac forum Rasp

Worlds at War (Current Project) - http://www.awkward-games.com/forum/
Quote this message in a reply
Yeah, it is kind of weird. I hope Carlos is finding a way to pay the bills with it though Rasp
Founder
Too many people run Firefox and that ad killer so ads are not what they use to be, that's for sure. Well, in terms of ads from ad networks like Google.

We are doing much better in the last couple months running ads from software developers and game asset designers. They are really helping to pay the bills.

I moved this to free talk by the way... I just wanted to post our visitor platform breakdown and thought everyone would be interested to also see it.

1. Macintosh 53.52%
2. Windows 39.75% (Could be many of you coming here during work.)
3. Linux 4.71% (These guys have less games than we did in the 80s. Wink )
4. iPhone 1.25% (Once TMobile gets a cheaper data pay as you go plan, I might get one. I hate ATT)
5. iPod 0.40% (How does the site look?)
6. ? <--- Hey Amigans, no need to hide your platform from us!
7. FreeBSD 0.03% <---
8. SunOS 0.02% <-- and they said Larry doesn't like games. Oh, could be the target of an MA?
9. Android 0.02% <--- Get a real phone! Rasp
10. Playstation .01% <--- I thought WebTV would be higher than these guys.

Firefox 40.33%
Safari 38.44%
IE 10.77%
Chrome 6.32%
Opera 2.48%
8. Camino .15% Owe, and you call yourself Mac users! 2.0 looks nice!
10. SeaMonkey .06%
11. W.H.O.P.E.R

1280x800 19.64%
1440x900 17.03%
1680x1050 15%
1920x1200 12.66%
1280x1024 11%
1024x768 7.89%

10% visit twice a day
4.85% visit three times a day

We get 76% of our visitors coming in from Search Engines. Very good SEO.

#1 key word search 'iphone game development'
#3 cgmousedelta
#4 johncmurphy.com <--he teaches Cocoa, iPhone, Obj-C programming. Not sure the connection
#5 glbindframebufferoes
#6 objective c struct
#7 objective c enum
#9 nsalert iphone
#11, onesadcookie name contest <-- OK, this one is just plain weird
#12 anotherjake gamekit
#13 uiwebview touches

Other top keywords:
bullet physics xcode, gl_triangle_strip, gltexcoordpointer, sdl iphone, rpg maker mac (sorry ColdStone Engine is dead dead dead), igame3d (BIll has fans!?)

Cheers

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
I saw the dating agency one too. Very clever targeting Smile
⌘-R in Chief
Quote:4.85% visit three times a day

I guess I'm in the 0.01% category which visits 10 times a day.
Carlos Camacho Wrote:#4 johncmurphy.com <--he teaches Cocoa, iPhone, Obj-C programming. Not sure the connection

That is odd. I visit this site many times a day, but I don't know how that would have anything to do with my site.
Anyway, I am glad that advertising is helping and I think I will join in. As it stands, I get a couple dozen visits per day from this site even without advertising!
Carlos Camacho Wrote:5. iPod 0.40% (How does the site look?)

Like every site on the iPod touch/iPhone looks: like you're looking through binoculars, only the wrong way Rasp Otherwise it renders almost identically to Safari 4 on Snow Leopard for me.

Everyone's favourite forum lurker!
https://github.com/NSError
Interesting stats! Thanks for posting those Carlos. Smile

FreakSoftwar Wrote:I guess I'm in the 0.01% category which visits 10 times a day.

Me too. .. although, in my defense, I do pretend to do it so I can approve new posts. Sneaky
wyrmmage Wrote:I mean, I don't have anything against Microsoft (I rather like it, really)

That's like saying you don't have anything against the Nazis, some feelings are better kept private.
NelsonMandella Wrote:That's like saying you don't have anything against the Nazis, some feelings are better kept private.

Godwin's law without a debate! Ninja

Apple does rotten things from time to time too, in a business sense -- all large companies do; it's just the way business is done... and sometimes they even have to do rotten things by law! To me, nowadays, as I've started to emerge from my youthful, idealistic naivete, the only visible difference between Apple and Microsoft is that Apple makes better products most of the time (sometimes ridiculously better). MS makes great stuff too once in a while though (Xbox 360 for example).

Other than that though, I'm a game developer (well, hobby game dev), and I don't care what platform my games run on. Sure I like developing games on the Mac primarily, but that's just because I prefer the environment right now and I have a substantial running investment in it, in terms of equipment, software, and familiarity. Other than that though, I find I'm happy blabbing with any game developer on any platform. While this is very much a Mac-oriented forum, I'd sure hate to scare off any mult-platform game devs. Wink
Luminary
Carlos Camacho Wrote:#11, onesadcookie name contest <-- OK, this one is just plain weird

LOL Blink
Love the new 3drt ad, I remember I often want to check that site out but can't remember the link, they got some super sweet models!

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
AnotherJake Wrote:Apple does rotten things from time to time too, in a business sense -- all large companies do; it's just the way business is done... and sometimes they even have to do rotten things by law! To me, nowadays, as I've started to emerge from my youthful, idealistic naivete, the only visible difference between Apple and Microsoft is that Apple makes better products most of the time (sometimes ridiculously better). MS makes great stuff too once in a while though (Xbox 360 for example).)

<moderator voice>Just because you're less naive than others doesn't mean you should go around making others feel rotten for being naive</moderator voice> Rasp

OneSadCookie Wrote:LOL Blink

LOL

- Lincoln Green
http://www.binkworks.com/
AnotherJake Wrote:Godwin's law without a debate! Ninja

Apple does rotten things from time to time too, in a business sense -- all large companies do; it's just the way business is done... and sometimes they even have to do rotten things by law! To me, nowadays, as I've started to emerge from my youthful, idealistic naivete, the only visible difference between Apple and Microsoft is that Apple makes better products most of the time (sometimes ridiculously better). MS makes great stuff too once in a while though (Xbox 360 for example).

Other than that though, I'm a game developer (well, hobby game dev), and I don't care what platform my games run on. Sure I like developing games on the Mac primarily, but that's just because I prefer the environment right now and I have a substantial running investment in it, in terms of equipment, software, and familiarity. Other than that though, I find I'm happy blabbing with any game developer on any platform. While this is very much a Mac-oriented forum, I'd sure hate to scare off any mult-platform game devs. Wink

I must defend the Nazi analogy by saying that because so few individuals have had the kind of negative impact on the entire world that the Hitler, Stalin, or Bill Gates have had- it's only possible to compare them amongst each other.

I didn't mean to suggest that apple was in any way morally superior to any other company, Apple is a corporation just like any other. I also have many qualms of my own with their business practices. And yeah the xbox is a great machine while it's working properly, I've owned 3 myself(all of them new), and they each broke, half the people I know who bought a 360 within two years of it's release have had a similar experience. The also created the single worst piece of software ever created and they keep releasing new versions of it force-feeding down the public's throat.
NelsonMandella Wrote:And yeah the xbox is a great machine while it's working properly, I've owned 3 myself(all of them new), and they each broke, half the people I know who bought a 360 within two years of it's release have had a similar experience.
That's a fair argument. Actually, I don't know anyone who's Xbox didn't break. Mine did too and they fixed it free of charge. That's pretty good customer service in my book, although I have one friend who's had to send his in three times so he's not as satisfied about it as I am.

One other thing MS did was put out XNA to allow indie developers to program for the 360. They acknowledged it was a little rough around the edges and gave all of us early adopters a few free months extra in return, which I thought was a very nice gesture. Apple OTOH, about that iPhone developer program that they made so miserable with NDA nuttiness for months and massive other hiccups? eh... I'll withhold my comment about what I really think about that.

NelsonMandella Wrote:The also created the single worst piece of software ever created and they keep releasing new versions of it force-feeding down the public's throat.
In all fairness, they're not force-feeding it down the public's throat. One of the great things about competition is that there are other products out there. There's no law forcing you to buy Windows. While I'm primarily a Mac user, and will continue to be, I do plan to purchase a copy of Windows 7 sometime in the future to help facilitate cross-platform game development.