What makes a good game

DudetheCreator
Unregistered

My favorite game is specter. I don't have to cry because i don't have it though, it's still around! I played it in 3rd grade...

Get old/not so old games here:

http://www.mac.the-underdogs.org

(for free...)
Quote this message in a reply
DM6
Unregistered

skyhawk Wrote:Blink
He was trying to say that a a good game should have this, and I was providing a valid counter-example.

But your little criticism sure showed me how I was wrong. Rolleyes

Sorry I blew up at you pal. I took it way too far. But "Obviously your assumption is wrong." is a little more opinion than counterexample, know what I mean? No hard feelings, I was just kinda stressed that day or somethin.

-Duncan
How to make a game fun. I think a small book could be written about that. I think timing of the game can also play a part in how fun it is. Some times what is acceptable in society changes and if the game touchs raw nerves then it won't sell.

I think a more interesting and maybe more important question would be, what makes a game very successful?

Now I realise we don't have the scale for $ advertising and large dev teams but there are a number of things which the indie game dev can do. User interface, load times, good $ value, etc.

What are other peoples thoughts?

Justin "LordFire" Baldock
Baldock Wrote:I think a more interesting and maybe more important question would be, what makes a game very successful?
marketing...

heh, I don't know man... I just got back from Oni-Con (an anime convention), and I learned so much about the anime industry, a lot which can hold over to the gaming industry.
These panelist said: "It doesn't matter whether a particular comic is good or bad or whatever, we make all our money on merchandising. I give my comics away free now since it would be ridiculous to ask for money for them with how much money I rake in via merchandising"
Thats a interesting point. How much merchandising would it be possible to generate for a shareware game and would it make money?

Would people buy TV shirts, Mouse mats, stickers. magnets etc for a popular shareware game?

Justin "LordFire" Baldock
Sage
I know back in junior high, I sure would have bought escape velocity merchandise...
Good memories...
Baldock Wrote:Thats a interesting point. How much merchandising would it be possible to generate for a shareware game and would it make money?

Would people buy TV shirts, Mouse mats, stickers. magnets etc for a popular shareware game?
make a game with an adorable characters, and plushies sales will give you so much money it isn't even funny
skyhawk Wrote:I guess you sure showed maxis wrong

If you think about it, there is always some goal also in simulaton games: say when you drive an airplane, you want to be able to lift up and get back down safe...

If you make a city you want to make it a big-nice city.

If you interpret a character, you probably dont want him to die starved or make him a nerd Rasp ...

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
Hog
Najdorf Wrote:If you make a city you want to make it a big-nice city.

or you want to see the city get ravaged by an earthquake, Gojira, King-Kong, aliens from outer space, a volcano, hurricane, floods, whatever...
Najdorf Wrote:If you think about it, there is always some goal also in simulaton games: say when you drive an airplane, you want to be able to lift up and get back down safe...

If you make a city you want to make it a big-nice city.

If you interpret a character, you probably dont want him to die starved or make him a nerd Rasp ...
I was annoyed with The Sims because it would not allow me to let my character be a hermit.
Najdorf Wrote:If you interpret a character, you probably dont want him to die starved Rasp ...

I just build mine a pool, and when he got in I removed the ladder... LOL
wow. My random ramblings have never produced this much conversation and heated emotions... Grin

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
I never saw the big deal with The Sims, sure i liked Sim City and all but by version 4 it was getting just a little silly. I still enjoy the old C64 version. So speaking of old games before i ramble off. Me and my buddy pawned our XBox for a SNES a few weeks ago. Picked up some classic games and play 10x more, recalling our lost childhoods. Some of the best games ive ever played were on a C64, SNES, or Mac SE. Sure there are some good games out there now, i find most the hold my attention are rather cheap and made by if not indie companys very small companys (ie DeltaTao). Although some of the new games do hold my attention for a while I enjoy a good game of Unreal Toury 2004 and Worms 3d.

I guess what im trying to say in my obsecure ramblings is that replayablilty is the most important thing to me. This can be achived through Gameplay, Humor, Caring about the Characters/Outcome, Challeneges that are attainable but difficult. I belive that graphics is a product of a good game not a factor. I even prefer some of the 2d graphics of some of the older games to the early 3d stuff. Its getting hard not to love particle effects and the such though Wink .

Anyways just my 2 cents.
kodex Wrote:Me and my buddy pawned our XBox for a SNES a few weeks ago.
Blink

I had no idea SNES were so expensive...
well pawn shops give you like 50% value and we needed to pick up about 15 games too, and we got lunch out of it too =)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Any good game making tools? Sambo110 7 8,388 Jul 5, 2007 12:28 AM
Last Post: KnightRaider
  Making a game good enough for the major portals. BasilStudio 8 4,258 Sep 7, 2006 10:59 AM
Last Post: Yoda
  Why good ideas beat good graphics BeyondCloister 38 16,312 Jun 6, 2005 09:38 AM
Last Post: Dan Potter
  Wanted: Good idea for a physics based game. Skorche 16 8,317 Jan 15, 2004 11:49 AM
Last Post: whogben