Your inspirations [games]

blobbo Wrote:God, Deus Ex was and is the best game in history. Period.
personally I hated it because it involved too much sneaking around
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
Zork 1-3. Nethack. Ms Pac Man. Conan. Sinistar. Gauntlet 1, 2. Zelda 1, 3. Ghosts N Goblins. Gradius. Blaster Master. Mega Man. Ninja Gaiden. Sorcerian. Ys 1-3. Castlevania 1-4. Strider. Super Metroid. Chrono Trigger. Mario 64. Zelda Ocarina. Conker's BFD. Silent Hill 1-3. Viewtiful Joe.
TRON the movie, the games, the art (Mobius and Sid Mead are gods), thats were it all started for me.
Marathon and Myth series Tomb Raider, Resident Evil ....heh, no less than three of each of these were made, hadn't noticed the trend before.

Hmm thats all that are mainstains of inspiration for me, everything else is just stuff.
skyhawk Wrote:personally I hated it because it involved too much sneaking around

Then you didn't play it "The Right Wayâ„¢" Wink
Or you expected a generic FPS and got a kind of RPG-FPS hybrid.

And igame3d, yeah, Mobius is good, I also like some of the comics he has worked on.

Just to keep it on topic, one game that made me want to make my own game was Secret of Mana. I wanted it before, and I wanted it after but I think it somehow bounced it up on my minds priority list.

"Gameplay Uber Alles. And if you can make it psychedelic too, great!" - Jeff Minter
Bachus Wrote:My dad was telling me about Logo and how it could be used to make games.

I had an almost identical experience. My mom showed me Logo on our Macintosh Classic. Apparently my grandfather had worked on developing LogoWriter (and early version of the language), so the house was saturated with various Logo books and other such literature. She also said that Logo could be used to make games, but me, being about 6 at the time didn't quite grasp the contest. Resolved to make a game, went on to the main page and wrote this:
Quote:(-o-)

>o<

My game: the player needed to place the cursor directly before the lower "X-Wing" and press delete fast enough that they could overtake, and delete the upper "Tie Fighter" in under 10 seconds (as measured by a second "Co-Pilot" player using the wall clock)

By the time I was 8, however, I was successfully programming in logo.

I guess my greatest inspiration for games comes from movies, literature and the real world. I have never, or rarely, played a game and said, "this is cool but I could do better." I often find myself saying while reading a history book, or watching a film noir, "This would make a great computer game." I started at one point making a side-scroller of the legend of Theseus. Unfortunately, the concept was a bit ambitious. Pardon, a bit overly ambitious.

I don't conceptualize games by thinking, "I want to make a real time strategy game," I think, "I want to make a game about the film industry, how could I make that game and have it be fun?"

That was long. I'm not one for long posts. Huh
skyhawk Wrote:personally I hated it because it involved too much sneaking around

But the great thing about DX is that you didn't have to do that! You can play it by going barging through everything/one. You just have to be that good Smile
sam
Unregistered

So Deus Ex is good, huh. I have a copy but never played it. At first my computer would have exploded at the sheer processing power needed and then it was Mac OS X time. I got it for free so I never worried about it. I think I saw a Mac OS X Patch.

But Chrono Trigger was insanely good, like SoM II (I haven't finished 1) but, for me, not overly inspiring. They were excellent but made by a huge company, and lack the sort of feeling that makes you think think "wow, this is some person's passion. They are a geek. They spent years of they're lives doing this."

Books and Music most often inspire me (NCarter: Yoshimi Battles the Pink RobotsSmile). Several times a day. With stupid crap or overambitious cliches. Yay, excellent. Now I have about 20 unfinished games on my hard drive.

Wow, long post.
arekkusu Wrote:Zork 1-3. Nethack. Ms Pac Man. Conan. Sinistar. Gauntlet 1, 2. Zelda 1, 3. Ghosts N Goblins. Gradius. Blaster Master. Mega Man. Ninja Gaiden. Sorcerian. Ys 1-3. Castlevania 1-4. Strider. Super Metroid. Chrono Trigger. Mario 64. Zelda Ocarina. Conker's BFD. Silent Hill 1-3. Viewtiful Joe.
Holy crap! I was just thinking this afternoon how impossible it would be for anybody to ever know why I name my level bosses "skoosh_man". Skoosh! Skoosh! Ninja Gaiden is one of my all-time favorites! Gauntlet, Castelvania, Zelda, Gradius even! Damn! Zork!!! Holy Crap! Did you grow up down the street from me or what? Why only Super Metroid though? I really loved the original one, I never played Super Metroid to be honest...

[edit] Wow, blast from the past. I just remembered that I played hookie by lying to my parents that I was sick when I was 13, to stay home from school, just to play Gradius one day. LOL Yeah, I'm old, back off...
Sage
^^ not a complete list. Metroid and SMB 1-3 should be added. Probably Rygar and Rastan too. And Banjo Kazooie.

That's the "inspirational" list, of course. There's a separate "kicks ass" list which includes things like Star Wars, Commando, SF2, GTA3. Those games are really enjoyable, but don't inspire me to create anything.

And if you haven't played Super Metroid, you're missing out on the best game of all time. At least, EGM said so. Might as well pick up Zero Mission now...
arekkusu Wrote:^^ not a complete list. Metroid and SMB 1-3 should be added. Probably Rygar and Rastan too.

Rygaaar!!! Legend of Kage, Genghis Kahn, Tiger Heli. Not to mention the oportunity to play the *original* Tetris by Tengen waaaay before it was the rage. In college I took intermediate guitar (classical) with my best friend. We played a duet of one of the tracks from Genghis Kahn and blew everybody away. Easy grade.

Video games around that time heavily influenced my closest friends and I. When I was in high school we started a garage band and won "battle of the bands". One of the songs we played was called "King of the Monsters" which we wrote and was based on the Neo Geo arcade game of the same name. Interestingly, many of the guys participating in that contest went on to be rock-stars... Go figure. One of them is my best friend, John, who is the new bass player for Disturbed. He was really into Rygar and Ninja Gaiden too. Small world...

After thinking about this, it seems that one of the largest influences for me programming games now was the original Nintendo Entertainment System.
Sage
Wow, I also am in a band which sometimes covers video game tunes. In fact we've done most of the games I initially listed.

For me the root influence is probably Apple ][ (Zork, Conan, Bruce Lee, Quasar...), followed by NES/SNES.
arekkusu's list brought a tear to my eye.

My personal influences are mostly from the NES/SNES. Particularly anything made by Nintendo, Capcom, Konami or Square.

Zelda, Metroid, Megaman, Contra, Gradius, Castlevania, Final Fantasy, Seiken Densetsu.

Doom II for gratuitous violence, Robotron 2084 for gratuitous action.

Justin Ficarrotta
http://www.justinfic.com
"It is better to be The Man than to work for The Man." - Alexander Seropian
arekkusu Wrote:Wow, I also am in a band which sometimes covers video game tunes. In fact we've done most of the games I initially listed.

For me the root influence is probably Apple ][ (Zork, Conan, Bruce Lee, Quasar...), followed by NES/SNES.
Totally cool... My root influence starts with the TRS-80 since that's what I started with, but also C-64, Sinclair 1000, Apple ][, and Atari... followed by NES (I don't remember all the stuff between then and now).
BobbyWatson
Unregistered

For me, the inspiration might be from "The Adventures of Lolo" 1, 2 and 3 on the NES. It's whats currently driving me in the game I'm working on. I guess Final Fantasy Tactics would probably be second, then Mega Man, any Final Fantasy game, Chrono Trigger...
Max
Super Mario Bros 1 and 3 rocked! Chrono Trigger was awesome... but I kinda discovered it 3 years ago... on an emulation site. Wink I also liked Sierra’s adventure games, like King’s Quest and Space Quest. Damn they were fun. I’m not really hooked on today’s games. Metroid Prime is fun. I don’t like Halo... and I don’t understand why many gamers think it’s the best.

Freelance video game artist and video game compliance tester at Enzyme Testing Labs.