Cocoa Books

I have Building Cocoa Applications from O'Reilly, but it's for 10.1 and doesn't teach graphics.

I need to learn Cocoa. I use METAL BASIC. How should I go about learning?

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Quote this message in a reply
Switch to XCode and Obj-C (if you've not used C before, crash course with C For Dummies first, it's rather good) and then get Aaron Hillegass' Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X.

Various people (OSC!) might comment about XCode etc. but for learning Cocoa it's a good common ground.
I have Panther, and I've never used PB, so using Xcode was a given. I know a little C.

So yeah, I'll go out and get it.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
also, you might want to fine tune yourself on the idealogy known as Object Oriented Programming. Knowing the fundamentals, without being bound by a programming language, will help you better understand the structure of Foundation and AppKit
Anark
Unregistered

I'm in a vary similar position as diordna. I've started the journey into Cocoa. I read through "Learning Cocoa With Objective-C" and understood it well enough. The problem is that the book only barely touched on graphics and didn't talk about audio at all. I want to start programming games in cocoa but I need to learn more about the graphical aspect of it...where should I look for good information at this point?
Cocoa Quartz-based graphics aren't really well suited, performance-wise, for most games (except perhaps mostly static games) so you may want to take a look at OpenGL or, if you would prefer using Obj-C only, to a Obj-C library wich uses OpenGL for drawing (search this forums)
Although Quartz isn't a bad place to start. Offender was entirely programmed in quartz, and it ran ok-ish. It's not great, but it's a start...
blobbo Wrote:Although Quartz isn't a bad place to start. Offender was entirely programmed in quartz, and it ran ok-ish. It's not great, but it's a start...

Offender was an entry for the Vectorized contest, and therefore line-based. If you try to use sprites, Quartz becomes slow very easily.
My uDG 2003 entry, Garden Pests, was a retro style arcade game that used Quartz and not OpenGL. It was playable.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Looking for some books gszauer 0 2,164 Feb 15, 2007 08:01 PM
Last Post: gszauer
  Mac OS X Programming books XxtraLarGe 7 4,746 Nov 17, 2005 12:04 AM
Last Post: Jordan