easy 3d?

rossum
Unregistered

I am an artist who loves games and have only a rudimentary knowledge of how programming and how games are put together. I learned a bit of basic and c but, it cut too much into my art time which is my main passion. I was wondering though if it is easier to make a game like devil may cry(which i'm playing again right now) or dino crisis, resident evil etc.. being it seems to me that most of the graphics(backgrounds) are static and most of the 3d is with a charachter and interaction with the environment, unlike an fps where it is all 3-d. Am i way off on this being easier to do? Because i would love to make a game like devil may cry, being able to do much of the art work, with minimal 3-d requirements than a total 3-d game. I would appreciate it if some one could educate me further.
Quote this message in a reply
rossum
Unregistered

yeah i think i remember seeing that posted before it looks really cool, but i still don't know when it is going to be available. I'm sure to try it out when it does. I guess what i was really trying to say in my original post, is that i am an artist and can't make the next killer rts like i would like, because i lack the skills and don't think i could rely on "volunteers" to spend tons of time programming and rendering my imaginations because i have no money, but i thought if i could take care of 60 to 75 percent of the game assets like backgrounds and menus's etc.. it would be easier to get a few 3d jockeys and code monkies to help me out, which is why i was wondering if a game like dino crisis or res evil are "easier" to create from a technical stand point, than say a fps. Being that most of the environments are stactic and pre-rendered, and only the main character and items/puzzles/npc's are interactive. In other words i want to focus on my strengths(artwork/charachters/environments)as the thrust of the game, not being able to render 100 things flying around and monsters coming out of the walls, because i can't code that and can't ask other people to do that for no pay, i want to do 80 to 90 percent of a game and commision some good programmers/graphic artists for the other twenty percent. I hope someone will understand what i am trying to say because i'm tired and a bit punchy and am not sure if i am explaining myself quite right.
And does anyone know when gooball engine come out!? Looks like they had the right idea when they set out to make it. simple /generic /and adaptable, works good for animal species why not games!
The "gooBall" engine..Unity, goes beta in November.
Try dim3 out while you are waiting, set up some stactic screens like you are thinking of and then make available , people might get interested/impressed and then who knows.

As for easier or hard? Hmm I don't know anyone around here how has made a game in Resident Evil's caliber, or Dino Crisis. Check the credits on those games, I bet there are no less than three lead programmers, no less than six additional programmers, and at least six artists, then about 20 other people involved at least.
Nibbie
one sidenote: easy 3d is an oxymoron Smile . It's either a challenge, hard or insane in my experiance Wink
igame3d Wrote:Try dim3 out while you are waiting, set up some stactic screens like you are thinking of and then make available , people might get interested/impressed and then who knows...

Shock I can't believe Bill didn't make a sales pitch. Shock
[Image: iGame3DInProgress100904.jpg]

iGame3D is still cooking, recipe calls for more blood, more sweat, and yet another UI revision, and dozens of other distracting watsits.

In the mean time I'll nudge people to dim3 so they can stop dreaming and start suffering the life of a game developer.

Feel the burn.
Apprentice
igame3d Wrote:[Image: iGame3DInProgress100904.jpg]

Wow Blink
rossum
Unregistered

yeah i think dim3 is my first choice, I just need to figure it out a bit more. Understandably there is no documentation, but it seems realtavely straight forward.

I tried to figure out blender but was a huge headachce to learn, the gui sucks.
Wow, Bill. That looks much better than the last one I saw.