Basics of 3d programming, What are they?

link_jr97
Unregistered

I want to get into doing some 3d stuff, but I dont' know where to start and if any of you guys could help point me in the right direction I'd be happy. I just want to know how to do some of the basic stuff, like a wireframe cube, rotation patterns etc
everyone has to start somewhere. and I guess I have to start from the beginning.
so the first thing I want to know is, how do I make a cube in 3d? say maybe 8 bit wireframe.
Quote this message in a reply
learn opengl, after you do that, come back to me.
If you buy or download some books on OpenGL, they will teach you both how to render 3D stuff (using OpenGL) and also a lot of 3D concepts. Books are probably the best, as they are up to date and generally cover just about everything pretty well. However there are plenty of tutorials online and you don't actually need to spend any money to learn it well.

You will need to know a programming language like C or C++ as well, so if you don't know any yet that would be a good place to start.
http://nehe.gamedev.net/ is all you should need, it doesn't teach you the theory of how the matrix works and pixels are processed, but its better to learn that AFTER you have some stuff up on the screen.

EDIT: Oh, get out of METAL and into a C first, because metal 3D is pointless.
link_jr97
Unregistered

ok, thanks for all your advice. I've been wanting to get into c and c++ etc.. but I haven't been able to find any compilers for it. If anyone knows where I could download any compilers, I'd appreciate it if you told me where.
thanks.
http://developer.apple.com/ - Download xCode, its free Smile
link_jr97
Unregistered

just a few problems with that..... #1, Xcode won't run on my mac, cause I'm running mac Osx 10.2.8, and mac Osx 10.3 is required. #2, I'm not a member and I have to be a member to download that stuff, and it appears that it costs money to be a member, I didn't see any free membership offers there. Thanks for the link though, it was interesting to read about it. I was hoping for something maybe a little less time consuming download wise... I don't really want to sign up for anything if it's gonna cost money becauase I don't have any money.
Signing up for ADC is free. You can pay for extra features like preview versions of the new OSes, but the basic membership costs nothing.

Xcode requires 10.3, but you can still get Project Builder for OS X 10.2. PB and Xcode come with most computers on a separate CD. Just get out the packet that came with it, and install the developers package.