Programmer looking for freeware tilesets download

link_jr97
Unregistered

Hi, the last few weeks I've been working on a game but I haven't gotten anywhere with the engine yet because I don't have any graphics to test it with. I could really use some graphics for my 2d rpg that I'm making. I need the tiles to be standard 32*32. I was wondering if somone might know where I could find such a download. if anyone knows of any rescources like this, please tell me. I would really appreciate it.
Quote this message in a reply
Blake
Unregistered

i dont know where you could find any images but you may just want to open up a graphics program like photoshop or something and just create a temporary texture, dont expect to wait on the engine development until you have the graphics. I cant tell you how many alphas or betas I have seen that had horrible graphics simply because the artists hadnt finished the graphics yet.
link_jr97
Unregistered

I never really thought of it that way. You make a good point blake. I think I will do it that way. But if anyone here does know of any rescources like that, i'd still really appreciate it.
Check out this site for some pretty good free tilesets.

Neil Carter
Nether - Mac games and comic art
link_jr97
Unregistered

hey, thanks for the link Ncarter. It's a big help. I'm already starting to pick out some graphics that I can see being used in my game.
thanks.
From the site:

Quote:idevgames.com - This site has some kind of unholy Macintosh fetish. As such, it is overly "pretty" with nice rounded corners (so mac-users don't hurt themselves) and an unsettling predilection for tacking the letter 'i' onto the iBeginning of iThings it doesn't iBelong on. Moreover, it has some fantasic graphics. Many of the graphics collections here are licensed for use only in games that are for Macintosh. Some are public domain. Pay attention which you download.

Shock

-Jon
aarku Wrote:From the site...
Oh yeah, I remember Carlos mentioning that a few months ago! I didn't notice that it still said that! LOL

Neil Carter
Founder
I sent him a note on that and he said he would "alter" the text. Seems like he didn't. Mad

You need grass, dirt, water tiles?

Go to Photoshop. Fill your tile with green (grass), brown (dirt), blue (water). Then select a lighter shade of the color. Select the Noise filter and apply noise.. Not too much, but enough to add some "texture" to the tile. Boom, done. Easy. Works for sand too.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Camacho Wrote:I sent him a note on that and he said he would "alter" the text. Seems like he didn't.
Well, he does warn people to check the license on our downloadable assets before assuming they're free. Wasn't that the reason you wrote to him before?

To be fair, he's completely within his rights to mock us for being Mac users! Wink

Neil Carter
Those mac bashing comments are mostly in good fun. It's more like elbow jabbing the guy you are jealous of because he has better assets than you. Don't take it to heart, Carlos. Grin

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain." - Wizard of Oz
link_jr97
Unregistered

thanks everyone, oh by the way carlos, I actually need alot of tiles for my engine, 110 to be exact. thanks for the tips though, I know they'll come in handy one day.
Max
Where are the iDevGames tilesets anyway?

Freelance video game artist and video game compliance tester at Enzyme Testing Labs.
Founder
On my backups, waiting for the download section to go back online.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
I have most of them... If camacho doesn't mind,I can give them to you if you want them for some game.

Alex
Founder
No prob here.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Reiner's Tilesets: free sprites and tiles! Chris Burkhardt 7 11,352 Jan 6, 2005 10:22 PM
Last Post: Chris Burkhardt