ALT: Programs for making 2D games

PS2gamrfreak
Unregistered

Hi everyone, i am a newb when it comes to making and programming games... but i really want to get into it. My goal is to make a 2D game in the style of Sonic, Mario, etc...the side scrolling games. First thing i need is a program that will give me the oppertunity*(dont think i spelled that right) to make a game like this. I dont expect myself to be able to make a big 2D game right away, but i wanna learn. So any 2D programs for Mac OS X that anybody could tell me about would be great!

PS I would like to start with freeware, then mybe buy a program....thanks Grin
Quote this message in a reply
I'm not aware of any freeware for the kind of 2D games creation you imply (i.e. with no coding); in fact, the only app like that I know of is The Green Machine, although I've never used it.
(Oh, and if you're in OS 9 or earlier, maybe check out Klik & Play; available as abandonware on a couple of sites; I say OS 9 and not Classic intentionally, as the app won't run in Classic.)
If I'm wrong and you're willing to learn how to code, I'd suggest you go with Xcode and learn a mainstream language (C, C++, et al) and the OpenGL and SDL APIs, rather than TNT Basic, Metal Basic, et al, but that's just my opinion.

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
Sage
If by "give me the opportunity" you mean drag-and-drop type game creation, I don't know of any like this.

If you really want to make a game like that, just download Xcode (or install if you have it like you should with Mac OS X) and learn to program. I recommend, with some people but not all, that you learn C++ (it's a programming language if you didn't know). Then I would suggest learning SDL. I use it for input from the keyboard and mouse but you can use it for simple 2D graphics as well. Then you could learn OpenGL if you wanted a, in my opinion, better graphics "set up". OpenGL will also let you go 3D if you wanted some cool effects or eventually wanted to make a 3D game.

For some simple SDL tutorials (after you learn C++ of course), please check out my website. I have helped edit some tutorials from another site to be easier for Mac OS X beginners to understand (the tutorials were written with Windows and .NET in mind).

After that, if you want to learn OpenGL, I would suggest http://GameTutorials.com for some nice code. There aren't any actual tutorials, but there is free code which is commented a lot so you should be able to understand it (if you learned C++ and SDL).

I went through this whole process in about a month and a half (but I'm still a beginner/novice in my mind). I think that this process will make you happier as any program made to make you games will tend to be more uniform in output, meaning that all games it makes will share common features and functions. If you wrote your own code and made games, you could do anything with them you want. I'm sure more people will respond and tell you other things and some may tell you what I have. And a few still might correct me and others. Either way this is the way I suggest you take. Hope you learn and have fun.
Back in Mac OS 9 there was an app that let you create basic 2D games, I forgot the name.

You may wanna try SpriteWorld. You'll need to have some knowledge of C++ though, but the level editor is quite handy.

If you aren't really into programming then I don't know of any freeware alternative.
Taxxodium Wrote:You may wanna try SpriteWorld. You'll need to have some knowledge of C++ though,

No you won't. SpriteWorld is all in C. Please don't confuse C++ with C...

Alex Diener
ThemsAllTook Wrote:Please don't confuse C++ with C...

I didn't, just thought SW was in C++, guess not. Thanks for pointing that out.
Welcome to iDevGames!

Game development can be a daunting, frustrating, and sometimes rewarding hobby. If that doesn't scare you away, (hopefully not!) I'd recommend taking a look at SilverCreator. It seems like it would be a good place to start.

-Jon
PS2gamrfreak
Unregistered

Thanks for all the replays and help! some people mistaked me...I do want to program but i dont no what, C, C++. anyways i will probably start with those and work further. Now about Xcode...what is it? and do i have to download it...?
PS2gamrfreak
Unregistered

Also i cant seem to find Xcode on my mac...tell me where to look or where i can download it. Also Silver creator wont let me download cuz its is a .sitx file? or something
Sage
Xcode is a program made by Apple that will compile and run programs you make for your Mac. Some people really like it, some don't. I personally like it a lot mainly because it is free. The other widely used (or so it seems) program is CodeWarrior. If you have some extra money lying around then you could pick up a copy but Xcode should work for a beginner and even an experienced programmer. To get Xcode you'll probably have to head over to this site here to get the newest version. I believe the older version (whichever was released with your Mac) should be in Applications->Installers->Xcode Tools. I recommend getting the newer version, though. At ADC, you'll have to register (I think though it's been a while for me) but I do know that it is free so there is no cost for the tools.
As for the .sitx file, that is a StuffIt file. You should have the required software with your mac to decompress that. Look for a folder called StuffIt Standard in your Applications folder. That program should allow you to decompress it. If you do not have it, you can get it at this site.
Glad to know you meant programming. C and C++ are similar if not nearly identical languages. I recommend skipping pure C tutorials and using C++ as it encompasses many aspects of C. For more details about the differences between C and C++, just look here.
Hope that all helps you out.
Control Click "Save Link to file" in your browser to download .sitx files, sounds like
the guys server needs update mime types. But Silver Creator is horrendous, don't bother.

Bug the Green Machine guy, maybe you can help him beta test and inspire him, I used to have his AIM/iChat handle but lost that.

Midnight Mansion should be coming out soon and it has a great level editor, an excellent place to start without having to code.

dim3 should have the potential to make a 2D-ish side scroller in 3D check it out and find the download here in its own little nook of the forums.

Apple's developer site sign up to get xcode.
Sage
Oh I didn't realize his problem was actually downloading the .sitx file. I thought he couldn't decompress it, which seemed odd to me. I guess that's why.
SimReality/Nick Wrote:C and C++ are similar if not nearly identical languages. I recommend skipping pure C tutorials and using C++ as it encompasses many aspects of C.

Sorry Nick, but I'll have to strongly disagree here. Setting aside my hatred for C++ for the moment, it's still a bad idea to dive right into C++ (or Objective-C, or any other C-variant) without first knowing C itself. While most C++ tutorials maybe claim to cover any necessary aspects of C, they're not likely to cover it adequately. Understanding C first gives you a much better foundation to build from, or it may even be all you ever want or need.

As for C and C++ being "similar if not nearly identical languages", that's rather misleading. C++ is (almost) a superset of C. Any C code is valid C++ code. The same goes for Objective-C; although, unlike C++, it is a true superset of C.

The book every C programmer should have

Alex Diener
Sage
SimReality/Nick Wrote:I recommend skipping pure C tutorials and using C++ as it encompasses many aspects of C.
That superset thing was the word I was thinking of. I knew that there were some differences, hence the link. I just think they seem so similar. I guess it's because I have a very shallow understanding of pure C whereas I have a decent understanding of C++. Sorry to mislead anybody.

Just for my information, there are no classes in C, correct?
I'd recommend TNT basic for newbies:

http://tntbasic.com/

Judging by your responses, I hope that you don't become frustrated with initial difficulties in programming. Remember that we'll try our best to help.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  I just want to get down to making games. Any tips? TimMcD 9 12,676 Dec 1, 2011 05:19 PM
Last Post: johncmurphy