What programs or plugins on Mac can load .dds files?

Mars_999
Unregistered

Does anyone know if there is any .dds plugins for Photoshop or a program that will load .dds files to look at and convert to .tga file format?
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
The nvidia Photoshop plugin is PC-only. But if you need code, I ported a DXTC code sample a while ago to be able to view DDS textures. You could easily add code to export with NSImage. Or just screencapture and open in Photoshop.
Sage
Of course, it's perfectly valid to pass DXTC textures directly to OpenGL on the Mac, using compressed textures. That's sort of the whole point Wink
Mars_999
Unregistered

arekkusu Wrote:Of course, it's perfectly valid to pass DXTC textures directly to OpenGL on the Mac, using compressed textures. That's sort of the whole point Wink
I know that OpenGL on Mac can finally do DXTC compressed textures, but my point is I would rather download a utility that displays them so I can look at them! So I really don't want to code up a utility to load them but if I have to I have to...
Sage
Ah. I looked around for a Mac utility and/or sample code a year or two ago and couldn't find any. Versiontracker today gives me zero hits for dds, dxtc, s3tc, so I think you'll probably have to write it. Let me know if you'd like code to start with.

(off topic, might not be a bad idea to add dds format to my comicbook viewer... Wink
Mars_999
Unregistered

arekkusu Wrote:Ah. I looked around for a Mac utility and/or sample code a year or two ago and couldn't find any. Versiontracker today gives me zero hits for dds, dxtc, s3tc, so I think you'll probably have to write it. Let me know if you'd like code to start with.

(off topic, might not be a bad idea to add dds format to my comicbook viewer... Wink

Cool I might start it soon, I will let you know. Later
Luminary
I wrote a DDS viewer at some point. I may be able to dig it up again if there's interest...
Mars_999
Unregistered

OneSadCookie Wrote:I wrote a DDS viewer at some point. I may be able to dig it up again if there's interest...

I thought you dumped Mac and moved onto Linux? Thats another story. Is this just code or is it a full blown Cocoa app that one can use?
Luminary
It's a GLUT-based image viewer that takes the file name as a commandline parameter, IIRC.
Sage
I just hacked rudimentary DDS support (no cube or volume textures) into my viewer. Implementation note: although compressed formats are valid for the GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_EXT target, uploading is very slow (lots of time in glgProcessColor, I guess it has to uncompress to unswizzled RGBA.) So use GL_TEXTURE_2D with compressed textures...
Luminary
Mars_999
Unregistered

OneSadCookie Wrote:http://onesadcookie.is-a-geek.net/~keith/libDDS.zip

nothing special.

Not sure if you forgot to include this file but its missing? binio.h???
Luminary

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Paint and Sound Programs Nick 5 4,611 Jul 8, 2004 06:42 AM
Last Post: applekid