Source code gold mine

While we're on the topic of people mocking my laziness...
Just released (well recently) from Magic Software is the source code to their 3D libraries. A veritable gold mine that includes Mac OS X buildable C++ source for...
  • Approximation
  • Containment
  • Curves
  • Distance
  • Geometry
  • Graphics
  • Image Analysis
  • Interpolation
  • Intersection
  • Mathematics
  • Meshes
  • Numerical Analysis
  • Rational Arithmetic
  • Surfaces
  • Systems
  • Tessellation
  • and more...

There's also win32 and linux/unix code available if you're interested.

And no, I haven't really looked at the code. 4 pages.... Feh! Feh I say! Feh to all yous.
Also, I don't think I'll post in the CMS, so this one is up for grabs. I'm starting a new job on Saturday and I don't have time for much, I actually found this like 2 weeks ago, but I haven't had the motivation to spend the time to post. Wacko

---Kelvin--
15.4" MacBook Pro revA
1.83GHz/2GB/250GB
Quote this message in a reply
I've looked at the Magic Software source code (and copied a function out of it), and let me tell you, it's ugly as sin. I'm not saying the code is bad... It's just really, really hard to read. Maybe that's just me, though... Or maybe it's the fact that it's in C++ instead of C. Mad

Alex Diener
ThemsAllTook Wrote:I've looked at the Magic Software source code (and copied a function out of it), and let me tell you, it's ugly as sin. I'm not saying the code is bad... It's just really, really hard to read.
I'm using WildMagic in my uDG entry, and so far I've found it to be pretty effective. It looks scary because it's huge, it has a lot of templates and it uses weird header inclusion tricks, but it isn't really as bad as it seems. As you suggest, if you're sufficiently fluent with C++ it's less of a problem.

My main complaint with it so far is that it has some strange omissions. For example, it has 4x4 matrices, but they have less features than 3x3 matrices - you can transform a vector with a 3x3 matrix but you can't with a 4x4 one. However, since OpenGL uses 4x4 matrices this is a bit of a nuisance! Elsewhere, in the Quaternion class, there's no way of normalising a quaternion unless you do it yourself. In general, the various different maths classes seem reluctant to co-operate with one another. None of this is a show stopper, though, and I'm getting used to the way it works now.

I hope that the various intersection functions and so on will help me to make much more accurate and sophisticated collision detection features than I've ever managed with my own code!

Neil Carter
Nether - Mac games and comic art
Now, what is that word in th book used as password to dowload the version with physics? Smile

That looks like those old registration systems that asked the user to find a certain word in the game's user manual. Smile
FCCovett Wrote:Now, what is that word in th book used as password to dowload the version with physics? Smile

That looks like those old registration systems that asked the user to find a certain word in the game's user manual. Smile
Sheesh. Just buy the book. :glare:

---Kelvin--
15.4" MacBook Pro revA
1.83GHz/2GB/250GB
NCarter Wrote:I hope that the various intersection functions and so on will help me to make much more accurate and sophisticated collision detection features than I've ever managed with my own code!

Same here - exactly what Im using WM for. Loved the 3d book/code - wish I could afford the physics one.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  OpenGL Source Code Generator Leisure Suit Lurie 2 3,790 Jul 5, 2005 11:55 AM
Last Post: Cochrane
  Setting up OpenGL (was: XCode's fault or Mine?) Marjock 8 3,990 Jun 26, 2004 08:55 PM
Last Post: Josh
  SpaceTime 3D Screen Saver (Free Source Code) ppinter1 11 5,504 Jan 4, 2004 03:06 PM
Last Post: arekkusu
  Beginner OpenGL: Looking for source code CarbonX 4 3,268 Dec 13, 2003 05:01 PM
Last Post: Sohta