Slower Movement

Sage
I'm trying to get a mock up main menu for my game and I'm having trouble selecting options. I'm only using keyboard input. The speed of selection options in the menu is too quick and it becomes hard to do due to speed. To see what I'm talking about, download the app and readme below:

DOWNLOAD LINKS BELOW

Any ideas how to help me out?
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
1) Doesn't launch because it can't find SDL. You need to put the SDL framework in your app package.
2) Please don't include 5 megs of build folder in your distributions. Especially if you're not including source.
3) Please don't use Stuffit for archiving. Use zip or dmg.
Sage
1) how can I include the framework?
2) i thought the build folder was necessary but now i know better
3) alright i'll use zip
Sage
1) Search the forum: 1, 2, 3, 4, and Cocodev article.
2) No, and make sure ZeroLink is off in your distribution (use deployment build style)
3) Zip is fine if you only need to support 10.3, but be aware that standard Unix zip doesn't preserve any HFS data or Mac resource forks. The OS X zip built into the 10.3 Finder works around this problem, but unzipping one of those archives on a 10.2 system with Stuffit results in a bunch of extra folders. dmg format is a safer choice if you need 10.2 support. And you can control the icon layout and background picture etc.
Sage
Fixed 2 & 3 but I can't get 1 to work. Here is a new build in zip form and the whole project if somebody who has SDL can help me get it to compile and include the SDL framework. I've tried but ran into an error with a file I downloaded from the SDL site (it had an error unarchiving). The article at CocoaDevCentral also was hard to follow for me because it was using Project Builder which has a different interface than Xcode 1.5. Anyway if somebody can please help me fix this problem so I can fix the menu problem I would greatly appreciate it.

Transylvania Project Files
Transylvania App
Back to the original question...

In Cocoa, we can check an event to see if it is a repeat of the last event. If there is something similar in SDL, that should do the trick. If the event is a repeat (they're holding the same button down), then don't change the selected menu item.
Sage
Ok I just added another bool value called upHeld and downHeld to determine if the player has released the button before it moves again.
That works. Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  glutWarpPointer lag and fps movement Ropeburn 3 6,222 Jan 18, 2011 09:47 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  AI/Movement wonza 6 3,746 Nov 26, 2008 10:23 AM
Last Post: wonza