Online Drag Racing

Sage
I've had this cool idea in my head for a while and it may be possible (in a few more months) to at least begin it. The game will be online racing in one big city. I believe EA Games had a game similar called Motor City Online, but it went offline last year I believe. The player will be able to create, customize, and race cars. Each race is set up by the players participating, meaning there will be no set courses with blinking arrows (so kind of like Midnight Club). I also like the blurring shaking effect you get in Need For Speed Underground when you go really fast and that will probably, at least in attempt, be in the game. I'll probably actually not start this for another year and a half because I don't think I have the knowledge and/or resources to do something of this scale. I am planning on going to Westwood College in Woodridge, IL next fall for Game Software Development (and yes they have a Mac Lab) and then I'll be able to work with people in person to create this game. I'm hoping to finish up college with this game close and I would like to release it commercially soon after. It'll probably, if I'm lucky, end up on one of those $20 game lists on the internet but it would still be worth it. I wanted to see what some of you thought of a massively multiplayer online racing game. I think it'll be pretty cool when it's all done.
Quote this message in a reply
I think it would be possible, as long as races never happen on the same server. That is, you have a single server that keeps track of people online and current races, but when people set up a race between themselves, it happens between their computers. Except for possibly current race leader, and race winner (when the race has ended), no data should have to be sent to or from the server, only between the racers computers. Except for tracking racer statistics (# races run, won, lost, ect) and current races, the server won't have to deal with a large data load.

You'll still have to either buy or rent at least one server though.
Sage
Yeah that would be the problem. I'd have to make a couple games (or a lot of money) before that to get the financial resource to support such a game. I would like to do it though. I would try to keep all of the specific data of the race (start point, end point, time, winner, etc) on the individual machines but I would like the race to still occur on the main server so that other people can see the race while driving around, so that there would be police, and to create a more realistic feel. I have no knowledge of networking games as of now so I don't know how much is possible.
Justin Brimm Wrote:I think it would be possible, as long as races never happen on the same server.

This would be a necessity for gameplay purposes too. Or else you'll get people like me coming out of nowhere and sideswiping people out of their races with my beige Volvo. Ninja

Justin Ficarrotta
http://www.justinfic.com
"It is better to be The Man than to work for The Man." - Alexander Seropian
Sage
I think that would/could make it interesting. Having to watch out for other cars. You wouldn't know there were races going on. There wouldn't be big arrows, checkered signs, or anything to tell you there's a race so if you found them it would be by pure luck.
isgoed
Unregistered

just keep in mind that this would be a big project and will need at least a year of fulltime development (probably even with multiple people). Know what you are starting. Making it profitable depends for a great deal on quality control and marketing.
Sage
I know. I'm working on something else. I'm waiting to see if, in a year or two, I still want to do this. Then I might start.