Game Design for Couples

whoah, more stuff about bean, i only read the first book. what are the rest called?

Alex
Quote this message in a reply
Ender's Shadow, Shadow of the Hegemon, and Shadow Puppets

You can get the set of these three books on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det...s&n=507846

You should follow an iDG link first though, and get the site some commission money.

Even totally more off totally off topic, I am reading a book and came across this line I just had to share. Any idea what book or what author?

Quote:...and indeed [he] was the finest fellow that a fellow could possibly be, while still having spent the night dumping the corpse of a murder vicim into a river.
er, idg link? I still don't know how to do that.

Alex
Uhm, instructions are right here:

http://www.idevgames.com/forum/showthrea...ght=amazon

But I personally can't figure out how to get them to work (Amazon's URLs are so complicated)
er, but i don't want that book...
Gah forget it, i'll go to borders and just send carlos some money.

Alex
Mods: Seems to me this thread is ripe to be split. Lots of talk about Ender's Game should be put in an "Ender's Game" thread maybe...
Bonehead
Unregistered

Now that this thread has gone completely off topic...

I think a game like Puzzle Pirates (http://www.puzzlepirates.com/) might fit what Carlos was talking about. I haven't played it, myself, but from what I understand it is a non violent cooperative puzzle solving MMORPG. no, really, it is!

The nonviolent and puzzle parts come from the idea that each activity, wether it's swordfighting or piloting a ship, is resolved through some sort of "puzzle" game - like tetris, for example. And the cooperative part comes from the idea that in order to do some things, like pilot a ship, several puzzles have to be solved simultaneously - one puzzle for handling the ship, one puzzle for navigation, one puzzle for firing the cannons, etc.

Players, therefore, can't get very far in the game if they DON'T cooperate with others.

This sort of thing sounds like a good "couples" game.
The best couple game I've played with my girlfriend is Mario Kart Double Dash. Though invariably, I drive and she shoots; from there it gets kind of boring since we destroy all of our competition even in Mirror All-Cup Mode.

The greatest design feature of MKDD, IMNSHO, has to be the item passing dependance. The front player (driver) holds one of the consumables when a double block is encountered. This makes it necessary for the rear player (shooter) to tell the front player to pass it back once it is needed (often times to save the kart from an incoming missile). In the middle of a heated race, this makes for lots of shouting and lots of fun.

When cooperative players have a interrelated, interdependent goals and are required to communicate in high-stress situations good games are born. Back to the millennium falcon scenario, I think it must be more than just one person shoots while one person flies. Their effectiveness as a team must depend on their interaction. (e.g. In MKDD, the driver must depend on the shooter to do the mushroom nitro boost for certain jumps and turns and to do the "counter-boost" around hairpin turns; the shooter must depend on the driver to maneuver the kart in into range for attacks and to pick up consumables.)

Looking at cooperative games like Myth II where unit control is divided, there lacks the inter-dependance of the team members. In that game it seemed like one player on the team had more power/control than the others and/or similar conflicting goals. Strict division of goals should be the focus. It should be made so you can't sacrifice your teammates for the win (not many people like to repeatedly be the martyr).

---Kelvin--
15.4" MacBook Pro revA
1.83GHz/2GB/250GB
MKDD sounds like an excellent couples game. Nintendo seems to be experimenting with teamwork more and more recently. Hopefully with the DS and wireless multiplayer and voice chat and all that built in, they will continue to explore team type games.
Darkgold
Unregistered

Well, my girlfriend and I play lots of random games together, but we have very different skills. If we're playing something like Halo or UT I win a good 70% of the time. But pull out Starcraft or other strategy related games and she beats me to the ground. Because of this seperation of skills, I think it would be very interesting to play a game where Player 1 and Player 2 are playing almost completely different genre games. For example, imagine a game split down the center in the usual two player fashion...on the right side you have player 2 who has a top down version of the game world. From that view they have control in the style of a puzzle game where they can move blocks around to accomplish goals. Then on the left side you have player 1 who has a 3rd person view of that exact same world. His controls are more in the action genre. He is running around killing and collecting things. Player 2 is frantically trying to move boxes around to make a passages for Player 1 to reach the end of the level, block off doors to prevent more monsters from coming in and tormenting Player 1, and other miscellaneous objects. Now obviously this is only the basic idea for a game, but I think it could easily be fleshed out into a solid fun game for couples whose talents are neccesarily one and the same.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Workflow - tried and tested for game design marchon 0 638 May 1, 2014 09:40 AM
Last Post: marchon
  Apps for game design? XxHeadShotxX 9 13,996 Aug 14, 2012 05:28 AM
Last Post: EastbayHill
  Game design feedback tross 11 15,036 Aug 12, 2012 06:33 PM
Last Post: Play Go
  any suggestion for game poster design jc82111 3 4,465 Jun 20, 2012 02:27 AM
Last Post: James Andy
  Board Game Design ahnona84 0 2,730 Oct 31, 2011 11:54 PM
Last Post: ahnona84