3D physics demo

I can't get to convince myself that creating a game is too much work for one single person.

In the meantime here's a physics demo:
Is work in progress.

if you have question please email me anytime.
Enjoy it! Rasp

physics demo
Quote this message in a reply
1) you're f-'-g insane for wanting me to put S3.Framework in there.... have you not been reading the boards lately regarding that very issue

2) that was a pretty sucky demo.... I finally started it, and I couldn't move... I pressed w, and it sat me down in a somewhat odd position
I don't know about any issues ???
I guess I should read more. where do I read about tose issues?

As I said is just work in progress.
sorry I disapointed you Sad.
I think this is one of the threads which deals with the issue Skyhawk mentions in his first point:

http://www.idevgames.com/forum/showthrea...=Framework
Skyhawk, it's a physics DEMO not a released game or anything. It's meant to be for developers, I assume. What was discussed about bundling frameworks in the app doesn't really apply and why would you expect someone to follow every thread in this forum before posting some demonstration application? Why are you so cranky Skyhawk? Sheesh.

I'm still downloading...

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain." - Wizard of Oz
aaronsullivan Wrote:Why are you so cranky Skyhawk? Sheesh.

I assume it has to do with xcode. Don't let Skyhawk discourage you, Ghost, and good luck.
I see ...
You guys are developers so I'm not worring about installers for now.
If I ever create a real game I'll make sure to have one click installer.
Rasp
Looks good, its very similar to the state of my game right now, except I have a 2 wheeled vehicle instead.

One suggestion, I had this problem in my program at first and had to fix it. When the vehicle is on the side of a slope, it should only accelerate in the direction of the tires, so it can't slide sideways. Here is my code to do that if you want.

Also, you have to do this for each wheel. The code isn't perfect for a 4 wheeled vehicle but on my 2 wheel motorcycle it is, because if you turn sideways you are going to fall off.

EDIT : [1] is the current position and [2] is the last position for the verlet integration

Quote:- (void) checkSideMove
{
[self makeRot]; //gets the rotation of the motorcycle based on the verlet cords

VECTOR d;
float theta;
float dist;
VECTOR slope;

// Front Tire

d.x = Position[1].x - Position[2].x;
d.z = Position[1].z - Position[2].z;

theta = atan2(d.z,d.x)*180/PI - 90;
if (theta < 0.0)
theta += 360.0;
if (theta > 360.0)
theta -= 360.0;

theta = fabs(theta - Rot.y);

dist = sqrt(d.x*d.x + d.z*d.z);
dist *= cos(theta*PI/180);

slope.x = Position[1].x - Position[3].x;
slope.z = Position[1].z - Position[3].z;

slope = [self normalize:slope];

Position[2].x = Position[1].x - slope.x*dist;
Position[2].z = Position[1].z - slope.z*dist;
The way I'm working the slide is applying a force negative to the slide force. It does stop the sliding but when the vehicle is running fast enough and you make a quick turn the vehicle flips.
it still happens in the demo even though I'm just applying a quater or so of the slide force.

Is tricky to get the right numbers in 3d
I have a lot of work to do!!
NYGhost Wrote:I see ...
You guys are developers so I'm not worring about installers for now.
If I ever create a real game I'll make sure to have one click installer.
Rasp

Well, the idea is to not have any need for an installer. Because there are so many developers here, they know how easy it is for an installer to mess up their system, so they don't want to have to take that risk.

Also, I'm not a developer, just an artist and a dreamer, and I still like to give feedback on demos, but wouldn't know where to begin placing frameworks and such, so you may want to see if it is possible to include it in the bundle (I have no idea what I'm saying) or whatever you'd need to do to make it stand-alone.
NYGhost Wrote:As I said is just work in progress.
sorry I disapointed you Sad.

I was disappointed that I didn't see anything the game other than a guy sit and unsit...

no movement other than the vehicles falling...

I was severely disappointed...
skyhawk Wrote:I was disappointed that I didn't see anything the game other than a guy sit and unsit...

no movement other than the vehicles falling...

I was severely disappointed...

Um... did you even read the read me!!! Of course you can drive the car!
Luminary
nice demo, ghost. every so often something goes wrong with player control and he starts spinning superfast. it would be good if he could spin on the spot, too Smile I think once you add friction, this will get really fun Smile
HA! that was funny.
First he current controls are a bit odd, to turn the man both W & A or W & D have to be held, this was odd of course.

Then while driving, very nice, until I flipped and couldn't unflip so attempted to get out of the vehicle with E, I ended up falling through the world, pretty hilarious looking.

Neat demo though.

Just put skyhawk on ignore, he's just angry that the little man wasn't naked.
Apprentice
cool demo! steering is hell of tricky, but other than that things are pretty cool. i especially appreciate the huge cliff after the tunnel (and that if you exit the car when it's flipped over, the guy stands on his head Rasp )

-- hytmal