Can Blender be used for uDevGames?

acheron
Unregistered

It says on the uDevGames registration page that you have to be able to compile your source code into a working game. However, that could be a problem if you were developing a game with an engine such as Blender. If you used some python script you might be able to include that, or I suppose you could just include the entire Blender development file, but of course it would only be useful to other Blender users. I am interested in participating in UDG but with the way things are currently worded I would not be able to meet requirements. Ideas?
Quote this message in a reply
you should include everything that is needed for someone else to be able to reproduce your work on their computer (assuming they have the correct IDE/tool)
What kind of playable output does Blender generate? Last year we have a requirement that the entry must be a presented as a file which can be launched with a double-click (and not by being manually loaded into an application for playback). We don't have that requirement this year, but I think it would be problematic if your game requires Blender to run (problematic for non-techy gamers, that is - could affect your votes).

As far as the 'compilable' thing goes, that wording is my fault! Wink It hadn't occurred to me that some development systems might be driven by uncompiled scripts. I'll confer with Carlos on this subject and we may be able to adjust the rules to explicitly accommodate such things.

I don't know anything about Blender, unfortunately. Could you explain what your source code consists of and (again) what your playable output would be so that we can make an appropriate decision?

Neil Carter
Nether - Mac games and comic art
acheron
Unregistered

Blender creates stand-alone executables (Example). It dosen't generate source code per se. Everything is contained within a Blender file (*.blender). More info is available at http://www.blender3d.org.
In that case, you'd submit the *.blender file as your source. Everything should be fine with that...

Alex Diener
I couldn't make your example link work, but I found some examples here. Very interesting stuff!

acheron Wrote:It dosen't generate source code per se. Everything is contained within a Blender file (*.blender).
To my mind, that sounds just as legitimate as a REALbasic program, so I don't see any problems with Blender entries. If you bear skyhawk's comment in mind, you'll be fine.

Neil Carter
Founder
Once our FAQ goes up, someone remind me to add this to it. Thanks for helping to answering it.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Wired
Unregistered

NCarter Wrote:To my mind, that sounds just as legitimate as a REALbasic program
I'm not arguing for the validity of Blender3D, but REALbasic applications are not like Blender applications. REALbasic applications are fully compiled to native machine code for both X86 and PPC. It does have a framework library, and that's similar to a C application linking in another library to provide some common functionality. It is not interpreted in any way.
ellrx
Unregistered

acheron Wrote:It says on the uDevGames registration page that you have to be able to compile your source code into a working game. However, that could be a problem if you were developing a game with an engine such as Blender. If you used some python script you might be able to include that, or I suppose you could just include the entire Blender development file, but of course it would only be useful to other Blender users. I am interested in participating in UDG but with the way things are currently worded I would not be able to meet requirements. Ideas?

acheron, i was interested in getting started with blender as an alternative to the other python game integrations, and upon seeing the examples and things i was really interested in the idea...do you have any good links, resources for me to get started in blender game development..i've been shopping python for a long time, this looks like the best solution from all my research.

any info would be appreciated, email,IM, me or post here please..
email: ellrx@yahoo.com
aim sn: nohbahdii

another quick question, with the 3d web plugin, will standalones play onlineĆø
--answered my own question..yes

lol it'd be nice to one day have a python board on here Love
Wired Wrote:I'm not arguing for the validity of Blender3D, but REALbasic applications are not like Blender applications. REALbasic applications are fully compiled to native machine code for both X86 and PPC. It does have a framework library, and that's similar to a C application linking in another library to provide some common functionality. It is not interpreted in any way.
Yes, I know that! I'm using RB right now! Wink

I simply meant that a Blender source submission is as reasonable as a REALbasic source submission, in the sense that they're both comprised of a single project file instead of lots of separate source files.

Neil Carter
Wired
Unregistered

NCarter Wrote:Yes, I know that! I'm using RB right now! Wink

I simply meant that a Blender source submission is as reasonable as a REALbasic source submission, in the sense that they're both comprised of a single project file instead of lots of separate source files.

Ah, alright. That makes sense Wink I thought you were comparing the output.

Sorry -- I'm new here Rasp
acheron
Unregistered

ellrx Wrote:acheron, i was interested in getting started with blender as an alternative to the other python game integrations, and upon seeing the examples and things i was really interested in the idea...do you have any good links, resources for me to get started in blender game development..i've been shopping python for a long time, this looks like the best solution from all my research.

I'm relatively new to Blender myself. Most of the sites I have found seem to be in French Huh . Try the forums at http://www.elysiun.com. Googling for 'blender game tutorials' turns up a number of helpful sites.

A Python forum would be very helpful.

Hope that helps.