Full Screen or Not Full Screen...

Hog
aaronsullivan Wrote:I am talking Alt-F4... and no one uses it because it doesn't always work. Sigh.

that reminds me of Starcraft, where players on battle.net always try to trick other people into pressing alt-f4. and then you think: hey i'm using a mac, that isn't going to do anything here, see ... and all of a sudden it's gone
Quote this message in a reply
aaronsullivan Wrote:*Trivia: Anyone know the shortcut key combination to instantly quit out of (many) apps in Windows? Hmm? I'd say 50-60% of mac users know that command-Q quits instantly, but about 5% know that there is a similar shortcut on windows...

Actually, 95% of all Windows users know a handy key combination to get out of (many) apps... no, not Alt+F4... but CTRL-ALT-DEL!!! LOL
Zwilnik Wrote:One of the main reasons we never do windowed mode is that games make use of a level of sensory deprivation to acheive their aim of drawing you into the game world. When the player has the game in a window with lots of distractions going on around them, they're not playing the game at its best. So we don't let them do that Smile

Windowed mode is fine for card games or puzzle games etc. where you're not required to be 'in world', but for any sort of arcade game, it reduces the effect.
nevertheless, I still like a way out without having to quit the game.
I'm also reponding to Zwilnik's post:
Airburst should have a windowed mode in my opinion. I do prefer playing in fullscreen most of the time. The effect is more all encompassing and thrilling. BUT, sometimes I need a diversion. In a time when people have no time, making your game feel quickly accessible, and also quickly droppable or hide-able/layer-able (couple new words there) is a good idea. I really want to be able to play a little while waiting for a buddy to pop up on iChat, or whatever. Sometimes people like to play games while keeping an eye on something else on the desktop. When I sit down to really play a game, however, fullscreen is the only way. Smile

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain." - Wizard of Oz
When we get round to writing a diversion instead of a game, it'll have a little "Diversion" sign on the box Wink
I prefer full screen for the reasons Zwilnik mentioned (though I don't think sensory depravation is the right term for what I'm thinking of). But I think that Rooster's got my ideal ... full screen with options. And always, always, keep my stuff where I put it (in other words, do full screen 'right') if you want me to play a second time. I wish Water Tower were full screen (and 32-bit fully animated graphics, etc.) but oh well it excels at gameplay and that's a good thing. :-)
Another advantage of having the option of windowed mode is that, if you are not supossed to be playing games Blush , you can do a little Expose magic (or just hit Cmd-H) and no-one-will-know Grin
I prefer command(or alt on windows)+tab, being the proper combo to switch applications. I believe this works on many Fullscreen FPS such as Q3 based ones, UT series, Red Faction, etc, etc. I think Mac OS X may handle the switch however. It usually returns to my orignal resolution, and then I just click the icon in the dock to return to the game. Overriding the hot key and having it do the same thing only auto pausing unless in a network game, would be, I think, the proper way of minimizing through a key combination. Blizzard games use command+m to switch to windowed I think, which I have found useful at times.
srcleaves
Unregistered

Personally I like having the option, but like the others if it is going to go fullscreen do it right. If it screws my windows I will NOT run it again. Its that simple. But I really think it should be up to the user, it is afterall their time and their experience. As the developer you may feel that the full experience requires X or Y, but in the end the user should be the one deciding. Just like key assignments. If I am told I have to use ijkl for movement and I want to use wasd I'm going to be pretty annoyed right from the start.
TDCheme
Unregistered

Most games auto-pause when you switch out to windows with Alt-Tab or the Windows key (not sure about Macs). Usually the program contains code that only runs when the window has the focus. Only 3-4 games I know of actually keep running in the background. As for the window switching, if your game has a lot of graphics or calculations it's definitely advised to default to fullscreen mode. Otherwise your computer has to draw every open window (even those hidden behind your game window). It also has to figure out which window has the focus and be prepared to switch constantly. This uses a lot of extra processing power that can slow your game to a crawl. I'd recommend defaulting to fullscreen but leaving the option of switching to windowed mode (maybe in the launcher).
Redrawing background windows is not as much of an issue while on Mac OS X - windows are double-buffered by default and only update when needed.

Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath the clear blue sky?
Sage
Background windows are not a problem on OS X. It isn't Windows.

But it's definitely better for OpenGL performance if you go fullscreen and capture the display-- then the front buffer IS the display and you get real pageflipping instead of a memcpy. Also, VBL sync works reliably in fullscreen mode.

Cmd-H can work for fullscreen games too. You just have to write the code to exit fullscreen mode.
One issue that hasn't really been mentioned yet- if your game does not capture the mouse but instead uses it "normally" (to select locations on the screen, as opposed to completely capturing the mouse FPS-style) then fullscreen is preferable to windowed mode, since it makes it impossible to accidentally click out of the game.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Fixed screen sizes for games- opinion? MonitorFlickers 11 7,739 Feb 6, 2006 04:04 PM
Last Post: Mark Levin
  Implementing Full Gravity Justin Brimm 2 3,333 Sep 5, 2002 09:03 PM
Last Post: w_reade