Cheetah3D

Sage
How many people use/have used this program before? I am currently experimenting with the demo version and I'm quite interested. Is this program worth the $70? I realize this is about 1/100 the price of Maya Unlimited (Mac version coming soon Smile), but still is it worth paying? Also does anybody know of a place I can find tutorials for Cheetah3D?
Quote this message in a reply
I've been playing around with it a bit myself. It seems like a great program, with a very slick interface, and well-written documentation. The only real complaint I've had so far is the lack of key shortcuts for some of the tools...

I haven't actually bought it yet, but as for whether or not it's worth it, you should be able to get a pretty good feel for that, because the only way the demo is crippled is by not being able to save files.

SimReality/Nick Wrote:Also does anybody know of a place I can find tutorials for Cheetah3D?

The included documentation has a few tutorials. Just go to "Cheetah3D Help" in the Help menu.
Sage
I found those. Is there any animation features in Cheetah3D? Any in the future? Could this be used for modeling for games?
cheetah3d
Unregistered

ThemsAllTook Wrote:The only real complaint I've had so far is the lack of key shortcuts for some of the tools...
Hi, I'm the author of Cheetah3D. It is possible to define key short cuts in the preferences window under the "Hotkeys" tab. You can asign over 70 operations to the keyboard. Once you've defined the hotkeys your workflow should increase dramatically.
SimReality/Nick Wrote:Is there any animation features in Cheetah3D? Any in the future?

Not yet. I'm still concentrating on the modeling and rendering tools. I first want to do the modeler and the renderer right before I start with animation or a particle system. But Cheetah3D was written with animation in mind so it won't be to difficult to add animation once I'm happy with the modeling and rendering tools.
SimReality/Nick Wrote:Could this be used for modeling for games?

I would say yes. If you can model any kind of object, or you can render sprites, a application icon (Cheetah3D can save directly to the .icns icon file format), or some other game art.
cheetah3d Wrote:Hi, I'm the author of Cheetah3D. It is possible to define key short cuts in the preferences window under the "Hotkeys" tab. You can asign over 70 operations to the keyboard. Once you've defined the hotkeys your workflow should increase dramatically.

Aha, didn't find this before. Thanks! That helps a lot!

Alex Diener
cheetah3d Wrote:Hi, I'm the author of Cheetah3D. It is possible to define key short cuts in the preferences window under the "Hotkeys" tab. You can asign over 70 operations to the keyboard. Once you've defined the hotkeys your workflow should increase dramatically.

Not yet. I'm still concentrating on the modeling and rendering tools. I first want to do the modeler and the renderer right before I start with animation or a particle system. But Cheetah3D was written with animation in mind so it won't be to difficult to add animation once I'm happy with the modeling and rendering tools.

I would say yes. If you can model any kind of object, or you can render sprites, a application icon (Cheetah3D can save directly to the .icns icon file format), or some other game art.

ha ha! I was wondering if you hung out around idg.
Anyway, I would go out and buy it right away, save for the fact that the rendering thing doesn't work. Sad other than that, Cheetah3d is easily the best 3d-modeler i've ever come across. it's simple, easy to use, and gets the job done. plus, the .icns thing looks supercool. If only i could render...
*sigh* Cry
Anyway, I looked into other modeling things, and blender was too hqrd to use, and W3D didn't seem to render, and was basically crap, unless you wanted somethig really simple.
How extensive are C3D's trimesh tools? I fiddled with it about a year back, but couldn't find any trimesh options after an exhaustive 30 second search. Of course, I am wondering If I missed it. Grin

"Most nutritionists say that Twinkies are bad. But they're not, they're very very good."
if it had lovely trimeshing... heh... would be awesome for using along with my Microbian: Fighter engine
cheetah3d
Unregistered

Nayr Wrote:Anyway, I would go out and buy it right away, save for the fact that the rendering thing doesn't work. Sad other than that, Cheetah3d is easily the best 3d-modeler i've ever come across. it's simple, easy to use, and gets the job done. plus, the .icns thing looks supercool. If only i could render...
*sigh* Cry
Anyway, I looked into other modeling things, and blender was too hqrd to use, and W3D didn't seem to render, and was basically crap, unless you wanted somethig really simple.

Thanks and sorry for the problems. Rendering should normally work if your Mac fullfills the system requirements of Cheetah3D. Do you possibly use a OS older than 10.3?
But please feel free to contact me via email concerning that problem. Than we could discuss it in more detail.

Dr. Light Wrote:How extensive are C3D's trimesh tools? I fiddled with it about a year back, but couldn't find any trimesh options after an exhaustive 30 second search. Of course, I am wondering If I missed it.

Cheetah3D has a quite powerful set of polygon tools which work with ngons. Ngons are much more convenient than triangles during the modeling process. But once you are finished with your model you can easily transform it into a plain trinangle mesh with the "Triangulate" command.
Ah, cool. I'll have to check this puppy out again.

"Most nutritionists say that Twinkies are bad. But they're not, they're very very good."
Founder
Martin, I recall seeing something on Cheetah's feature list concerning ray-tracing. I can't recall if you are doing it via your own engine, or POV. I was wondering if you have looked at some open-source ray-tracing systems out there, like Radiance? Or this one

YafRay: Yet Another Free RAYtracer
http://www.coala.uniovi.es/~jandro/noname/

I'm always looking for something nice to create pre-rendered sprites. Smile

By the way, once uDG 04 is going smoothly, I'm interested in running a little contest. The way it would work is this, providing you are interested. You release a version of your app which doesn't allow for saving, but does allow for uploading to a server. We hold a little contest to create useful game low-polygon count characters. The object is:
* Get people to use Cheetah
* Help build a library of characters which the community can use in their 3D games.
* Have fun

I am willing to put up as prizes a CD containing a great deal of textures. And I am sure others can kick something in as well.

Cheers,

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
cheetah3d
Unregistered

Camacho Wrote:Martin, I recall seeing something on Cheetah's feature list concerning ray-tracing. I can't recall if you are doing it via your own engine, or POV. I was wondering if you have looked at some open-source ray-tracing systems out there, like Radiance?

I'm always looking for something nice to create pre-rendered sprites.

Hi,
I know that there are many great open source raytracers out there but currently I want to stay with my own hybrid scanline-raytracer which is very tightly integrated into Cheetah3D. So I don't have to care about any of the open source licenses and can compile it directly into the app.

Creating pre-rendered sprites shouldn't be a problem with the included renderer.

Camacho Wrote:You release a version of your app which doesn't allow for saving, but does allow for uploading to a server. We hold a little contest to create useful game low-polygon count characters.

That sounds interesting for me. But due to the fact that I've never written any networking code it looks like quite some work to implement a "uploading to a server" feature. And my todo list for Cheetah3D is also still endless Wink Maybe a fully functional copy which expires after 30 days or one which only has one 3D file exporter enabled?
hmm... make it both .obj and .jas. both are very useful. I had to do the Axe tutorial all in one sitting, which was a pain i the but with X-Code running. Smile

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
There is a single feature wich I'd like to see: outline. When I say outline, I mean all of the edges in the render look like they have lines drawn over them(of course when you do that you can't see the actual edges Grin ). You can make cartoony characters look even cartoonier with it, which can give it a much warmer feel.

Founder
Quote:Maybe a fully functional copy which expires after 30 days or one which only has one 3D file exporter enabled?
That would be super.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames