I made some low poly models...

Namoreh
Unregistered

Over the past three days I've been working with cinema 4d, and made a few things:

[Image: revwar2.jpg]
[Image: keepn1.jpg][Image: keepn1w.jpg]
[Image: weapons.jpg]

Anyway I've been making these for a game I'm working on (as a programmer, these are my experimentations into the art side) but am finding modelling a welcome relief from debugging problems, and I was wondering how much interest there would be in a collection of models like these (low-poly, game-oriented) for free or cheap.
And if anyone would be interested, what kinds of models would be most useful? Characters, weapons, buildings?
I would think weapons and buildings would be best, since characters are a bit too game-specific, but maybe characters good for generic NPCs?

Thanks for your input!
Take care,
-Will
Quote this message in a reply
I believe there would be MUCH interest in free low poly 3D models... there seems to be a gigantic lack of those
Sweet work man! Keep it up. Happy to see low poly count models.
You could sneak the freeness here and sell them to "outsiders" over at turbo squid.

Cool.
Keep pumping them out as you go along. Often animation problems don't show up in models until they are actually in use. I boned a zombie that started out at 60K polys, reduced to 970, that look GREAT, but once his limbs started moving all kind of horrors happened to him. Almost appropriate for a zombie I guess, but I decided I'd have to remove a limb or two so the bad bone/animation would be of no consquence, that wouldn't work for say Lara Croft, now would it Smile
borges
Unregistered

Newbie query: what exactly constitutes a low poly count? Of course I understand that the exact number depends on the model; I guess I'm asking what the maximum number would be.

Thanks,

Peter
Tops 3200, for a really well rounded woman complete with detailed bumps and curves. Sounds good right?

Depends on how many of these you have in a scene.
When you start adding up the terrain, and the objects, and particles, and all that, then you start really noticing that things are not going so well.

Its best to keep things simple.
I'm guessing the patriot in the top picture is about 870 polys, and the little cartoon guy below that is 600. The rounded handles of the axe and the short sword at the far left of the last picture probably have more polys than the first three swords on the left combined. Totally guessing there, don't bet money on it.

Its usually not at all difficult to complicate a low poly model to gain detail, yet much more difficult to take a 140,000 polygone Darth Vader and turn him into 1,400 polys and still look good. Its kind of like sculpting or sketching, or building a house, you start with the very basic structure, a block, some shapes, a frame, and then start adding in details. With game modeling you cheat with textures where and when you can.
Namoreh
Unregistered

Yea, low-poly is a very relative term. Some models for things like Shrek will have tens of thousands of polys, those are definately not low poly. Pretty much whenever you're making the model with real-time usage in mind it will be low poly. One thing you have to do is remember the texture, for example I was tempted to give the patriot buttons (for his jacket), but that would be an enourmous waste of polys, when buttons can be drawn on the texture.

igame3d: Thanks for the encouragement! I too have had that high poly-> low poly problem, the models need segments to 'bend' at their knees and elbows and they generally dont get them when you do that. That's why I built these two guys from scratch Smile

Your guesses were a bit low on the poly counts, I wish I could make them that efficiently! The guys are in the 1600-1800 range, although the cartoon guys hair is alot of his polys, I could probably cut them down. Today I'm going to be mostly working on programming so I probably won't get anything new modelled.

Ok, so if I do make a pack of models (by the way I'd texture them before I released them), what kinds of models should I make, (ie would be most useful)?

Cheers,
-Will
borges
Unregistered

igame3d Wrote:Tops 3200, for a really well rounded woman complete with detailed bumps and curves. Sounds good right?

Heh... my mama always told me to marry a low-poly woman, but did I listen?

Thanks for the replies. I like goofing around in Meshwork and have started dabbling with Cheetah 3D, so if I come up with anything half-decent I'd also like to contribute to the iDG resources.

Peter
ships, people, trees, house, animals (of the non anthropomorphic kind), things you would find in a microbiology lab.
ibullard
Unregistered

Those are nice models. I like how evenly the polygons are distributed and they're overall size. They'd bump-map well.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Advanced poly modeling set, ORIONFLAME .3, is released ! killMeNow 2 3,684 Sep 2, 2005 01:41 PM
Last Post: killMeNow
  I made a song!!! Najdorf 11 6,132 Feb 4, 2005 09:21 PM
Last Post: BinarySpike
  Ideas for pre-made explosion graphic? Gravelle 8 7,167 Aug 21, 2004 09:45 PM
Last Post: Skorche
  EI/Low Poly + w3d SleeK 2 3,738 Jul 31, 2004 10:46 AM
Last Post: igame3d