2D images

Ok, I am trying to create a simple background image in a window. How would I go about doing this if the image of 640 x 480? I have tried texture mapping, but no luck there unless it is a direct multiple of 64 x 64... If you know of a good tutorial that does not go into 3D like nehe, please share! Thanks.
Quote this message in a reply
multiple of 64 is irrelevant, it's power-of-two that's important.

You have two options here. One is to put your 640x480 image into the bottom left of a 1024x512 texture, and just draw the bit you care about. The other is to use the EXT_texture_rectangle extension, which allows non-power-of-two textures (but won't work on the Rage 128).
Ortho view is what I think I need. I am reading up on tutorial 21 on nehe. Some how I missed it the first time I was going through the tutorials.... Thanks for the help.
For now I will use a 512 x 512 background. In order to scroll the background, I can have 2 textures and then move 2 quads and alternate between the images... Here is what I figured out how to do tonight:

Display the 512 x 512 background in a same sized window.
Display another quad on top of the background.
Allow L,R,U,D arrow keys to move the top quad and detect the walls.
Fire a missle from the current position of the 2nd quad and stop when it hits the top.

Pretty good for one night of really trying out OpenGL.
For a static background there's always the option to do glBitmap with no constraint on size other than the max unpack line width (usually 1024 for rage128 and 2048 for newer cards).

15.4" MacBook Pro revA