Unity is FREE

- Lincoln Green
http://www.binkworks.com/
Quote this message in a reply
That's pretty outrageously cool! I don't get it though, what's the catch? How are they planning to generate revenue now? Just from pro licenses? What about all those who paid for it?
I guess from the Pro licenses as you suggested. And people upgrading to other platforms such as iPhone and Wii.

As for those who have already paid for it - well that is just life. Whenever you buy anything there is the chance it will be cheaper the next day.
Well, just so we don't start spreading misinformation here by accident, I found this from nicholas posted today on the Unity forum. I'm sure he won't mind if I copy it here in case someone stumbles upon this thread:

Quote:Hey guys.

Sorry for dropping the ball on getting you the facts - been kind of crazy here at our conference Smile

We certainly don't want to leave any Indie users out in the cold, so our email servers will be sending out mails to all existing indie users (unless they asked we don't mail them)

The deal we're offering looks like this:
Existing paid indie users get the following upgrade offers:
We are giving a 400$ discount on a Unity Pro upgrade, or a $250 discount on the iPhone Basic - so you can add iPhone games to your roster for $150. We don't care when you bought it - we'll be happy to upgrade you Smile

This offer is valid to the end of the year, so you've got some time to save up to make use of this.

Alternatively, if you've purchased Unity Indie in the last 60 days, you can also get a full refund. In this case you'll get an email no matter if you asked not to be contacted (if you're really annoyed by getting an email containing money, you have my apologies Smile). If you choose the refund, you lose the upgrade rebates naturally.

Again, all this is in the mails that are going out today and over the night so don't worry.

Also, please don't panic; we're not gonna drop a bunch of ads in your dev tool or in your games or any other weird stuff. It's literally the same Unity that you've always had.

If you can't activate right now, bear with us - our servers are getting hammered, so we're scrambling a bit to catch up Smile

Sounds fair to me!

Oh, here's a link to that thread: http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=218663#218663
Damnit I got it a month ago I don't know if to get a refund or cash out 150 more for the iphone version Wink

No wait I would still save some money asking for a refund and then buying iPhone Basic when needed.

This is weird, I was happier when unity wasn't free and I had $200 less Rasp

An easy, powerful free tool might increase competition quite a bit. Even though to make a complete game in 3D still takes a LOT more time than a 2D one, no matter your engine.

My guess is they do this to push the web player, kids will be able to make web games without buying flash and if it becomes a new "standard" it will be huge.

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
Najdorf Wrote:This is weird, I was happier when unity wasn't free and I had $200 less Rasp

Heh, yeah, I feel so much less elite now.

- Lincoln Green
http://www.binkworks.com/
Najdorf Wrote:My guess is they do this to push the web player, kids will be able to make web games without buying flash and if it becomes a new "standard" it will be huge.

... Which makes me wonder if they're working on a Unity "2D" (perhaps they are, I wouldn't know, since I haven't paid much attention). If they did, and it was free, it'd kill Flash for games. Actually, yeah you're right, heck even as it is it might kill Flash for games now that it's free, even though it's 3D.

Najdorf Wrote:This is weird, I was happier when unity wasn't free and I had $200 less Rasp

Hairball183 Wrote:Heh, yeah, I feel so much less elite now.
Interesting. I thought their new policy was pretty fair, looking at it from the outside, but I'm not an owner so I didn't see that viewpoint.

Reading through some forum posts over there, I gotta mention, it looks like there are some super-duper-hard-core fans of Unity. They kinda scare me a little, actually. Also, Unity's forum makes iDG look like a ghost-town in comparison. I remember when they started out. They certainly have come a long way! Would you guys estimate that most of their users are for Windows, or is that really how big the Mac market for Unity is too?
So I've been doing some more digging into why they did this. Apparently the main reason (at least that they say publicly) is that the large majority of their revenue wasn't coming from the indie version. Sooo.... It appears that perhaps my initial doubts about them being able to generate much revenue from that market wasn't completely full of $hit after all. I don't remember which post that was in (back around when they first announced Unity here on iDG), but I believe one of the Unity guys wasn't on board with my "guesstimate" at the time. I'm glad that in the end they found some other way to make it happen though, because now that it's free and they found a solid revenue stream enough to make that happen, I pretty much don't have any choice but to expend some free time into learning the system. Smile

Aha, found that thread I was talking about! http://www.idevgames.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9714

Heh, how funny, gatti put up that poll. I forgot about that. Hi Casey! Grin
Yeah if you look at idevgames there are like 10 or so Mac developers in the world Rasp
Apple's app store seems to say otherwise.

Exactly. Well, and of course iPhone and App Store were several years away when they were betting that the Mac indie market might do it for them. They even admit publicly they made a mistake by starting with the Mac. That was the center of my concern in going with Unity when it came out, especially after being burned by the Torque experience. I just didn't feel that the indie market on the Mac was there to sustain such a product economically. This development, and their public comments, seem to back that up, although the real truth is known only in San Fran and Copenhagen.

Speaking of iDG: After Unity came out, I remember perceiving a long, steady, but distinct slowdown in activity here. Several members seemed to have disappeared into the Unity fog. I don't suppose this'll help! Rasp Good for them though, and I'll prolly be there too now if I have any 3D game projects. iDG often seems like it's just another one of those little niche "demoscene" forums nowadays. Just a few of us nut-jobs hanging around, talking about NES compression schemes.
Outrageously awesome!

The way I see things, the money I gave to Unity way back at version 1.0 was an investment toward this free version. It fed a few devs for a week and three or four years later they haven't starved to death.

Rumor has it they just recently received a multimillion dollar investment from some unnamed source. Wasn't me, but I wish it was.

I'm going to get my daughter learning Unity right after we finish her homework.
Should be a fun winter.(yea its already winter in Colorado, a foot of snow!)
igame3d Wrote:Rumor has it they just recently received a multimillion dollar investment from some unnamed source. Wasn't me, but I wish it was.
Maybe this rumor?

I can only imagine that probably led up to Unity Indie now being free (or was the final decision maker). Makes sense though, since someone else with some cash saw the potential. I wonder what else they're looking at? It'll be interesting to see what happens next with Unity!
I always said I'd wait until I had 30 days free to properly trial it and then buy the indie version if I was confident I would use it. Funnily enough that plan hasn't really changed - I still need some time free to really play with it before I download! But obviously being able to download and play with a version that won't expire is a big plus. Smile

For me it is more interesting as a web deployment option than OS X/Windows/iPhone. That's because Flash sites and games are my day job and if I could work on games all day with an engine of Unity's calibre I'd be well chuffed. Grin
When it comes to making games for OS X and iPhone I actually like rolling my own more.
AnotherJake Wrote:They even admit publicly they made a mistake by starting with the mac.

They didn't say that, they actually said it was a good thing in the gamasutra interview.

I think the mac is a great platform to start. Thanks to the apple site you can get some good exposure even if you're just starting. Once you get going and start to get some general internet traffic windows can make you the same or more money, but its much harder to get noticed at first.

Najdorf Wrote:They didn't say that, they actually said it was a good thing in the gamasutra interview.

Quote:We kicked ourselves for years for going to the Mac first.

I guess you can take that however you want. My point was that I didn't think there was enough market on the Mac indie market alone to support their idea of generating enough revenue to support a company with. I don't want to misinterpret what was said, and I surely do not want to quibble over semantics, but to this day I still don't think the Mac indie dev market alone is robust enough to support a company with, and some of the information they've made public seems to back that viewpoint up to some degree. I'm not trying to criticize anyone. After the success of Unity, I started getting the impression that I was perhaps dead-wrong about the size of that particular market. All I'm saying is that now it looks like perhaps it indeed was too small on its own after all. That doesn't mean there weren't bigger fish to fry (e.g. pro licenses and/or getting to Windows, and iPhone coming along) or that it was a terrible idea to start on the Mac -- indeed I thought it was a great idea, but the response I got at the time didn't indicate to me that they had immediate plans to tap other revenue streams.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Unity Free for mobile PowerMacX 0 1,046 May 22, 2013 06:43 PM
Last Post: PowerMacX