Cocoa or not?

How many people are able to program in Cocoa, and enjoy doing so? All I'm asking is for a wing specially for cocoa programing. Already there's one for OPENGL, Metal, Real-basic, and Dim-3. Why not one for Cocoa?
*raises hand proudly*
Sage
I can program with Cocoa. In fact, that's how I started. I simply moved on to SDL because I like it more.
I can, but for games I don't. Cocoa severely limits who can eventually play my games to just OS X users. With SDL I can give my game to OS 9 / PC folks with minimal effort.

I DO however use Cocoa to quickly make tools for my games.

I second the need for a Cocoa forum though. Because of the language difference, people looking for an answer in C++ will not be satisfied by one in Obj-C, and vice versa.

Justin Ficarrotta
http://www.justinfic.com
"It is better to be The Man than to work for The Man." - Alexander Seropian
I voted yes, but Cocoa is not my API of choice. I know how to use it, but I much prefer Carbon.

Alex Diener
Carbon is used for games, in my view, and cocoa is used for apps, and possible some 2-d games.
Nayr Wrote:Carbon is used for games, in my view, and cocoa is used for apps, and possible some 2-d games.
that's ridiculous
What? Carbon is not made for apps, while cocoa was.
no, to say that carbon is better for games and cocoa is better for apps. pah! There is little validity to why Cocoa could not handle "games" just as much as Carbon. If anything, Cocoa has an EXTREME advantage to doing games with the simplicity of doing some thing that in carbon would take 80 lines.
I mean, Carbon is better for games over cocoa in much the same way assembly is better for games than C. I'll bet you anything I'll get my game done with less headache in C and be just as fast, if not faster (due to data structures that would takes a LONG time in assembly to do) than the assembly code.
saying an API is limited to something is ridiculous though.
otherwise, here is how I assign my APIs/languages to their uses:
BASIC - Operating Systems
Assembly - 3D modeling and networking apps
Cocoa and Carbon - Calculator apps
PERL - 3D Games
FORTRAN - 2D Games
OpenGL/OpenAL - accounting software
Luminary
In my mind, for fullscreen games there's nothing to choose between Cocoa and Carbon. You'll be writing so little of either that it really isn't likely to make much difference.

For almost any game with a window, Cocoa is probably going to be easier, because it'll do some of the stuff you need, for you.

As for the original question, I don't think there's any need for a Cocoa forum. If you state in your question which language and API you're using, you will get answers for that. If you don't, even in a board dedicated, people will ask what you're using -- see the METAL board for examples. People simply don't see the board category when replying. Also, there are plenty of things in Cocoa where the answer is "use this snippet of Carbon". There are also things in Carbon where the answer is "This piece of Cocoa would be much easier than the Carbon solution" or "here, translate my Foundation code to CoreFoundation and you'll be sweet", so trying to divide the two will only lead to cross-posting anyway.
Program the guts of your game in something portable, and the outer shell (configuration, setup) in Cocoa.

Carbon was fun back in the olden days when we all programmed in Pascal, but it's time to move on if you're not trying to dig up old code. Okay, that's not entirely true, but for beginners I would say it would be best to avoid it.
So who thinks there should be a wing?

CARLOS!
nay

(minimum post length now met)
I personally just prefer Carbon, it's what I know, it's what I like. I don't have a problem writing extra code in some instances. Maybe one day I'll learn Objective-C and do some things in Cocoa, but for now, Carbon does everything I want.

I'd say Carbon has a steep learning curve though, not neccesarily to figure things out, but to remember the naming schemes. It's only now, after years of programming in it, can I remember the names of functions without havign to look them up, or getting them wrong the first time.
Last post by skyhawk on 29th July 2004; need I say more? Wink

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
Thread Closed