My uDG 2004 game ideas

Well now that Carlos has spoken and said that discussion of ideas is okay here are the ideas that I've got flying around my head:

Hyper Olympics type sports collection game with a twist that I'll keep to myself for now, hence this thread.

Manic Miner platform single screen per level game, hence this thread.

Space Invaders with a twist - the player controls the alien invasion fleet!

A turn based strategy game (more like a board game than something like Settlers) with pottery playing a major role.

Garden Pests 2 - a sequal to my 2003 entry.

I'm not sure exactly what one I'm going to do as I've got various factors to take into account (free time to do it, motivation, getting a workable control system). Of course in the coming weeks I'm bound to have other ideas spring to mind and none of the above may see the light of day Wink
Quote this message in a reply
BeyondCloister Wrote:A turn based strategy game (more like a board game than something like Settlers) with pottery playing a major role.

I'm still waiting for someone to recreate M.U.L.E.
BeyondCloister Wrote:Garden Pests 2 - a sequal to my 2003 entry.

Just a heads up on sequels, since they're a somewhat sticky area. To enter a sequel into uDevGame, it must be different enough from the original to be seen as a separate game. For example, do not reuse artwork from the first game. Perhaps even take the game to a slightly different genre.

We'd have to ask Carlos for the official ruling, but I remember a user wanting to talk GLFighters (one of the winners from 2001), revamp it with new weapons and items and enter into the contest. This was forbidden then, and a similar attempt will probably also not go over well.

Another point, I believe, is that Blork and Blork 2 were both entered... the difference being that Blork 2 used a completely different engine and sprites (memory fuzzy here).

Again, just wanted to give you the heads up to check it out with Carlos before you.

Fwiw, I'd like to see the Manic Miner game entered this year ;-)

Cheers,
Rocco
The original Garden Pests was a single screen per level type game.
Garden Pests 2 is played over a much larger level area and so would use a different engine.

I'm not sure about the reuse of graphics though. Are you allowed to use graphics that are public domain? And if so, are not graphics from previous entries public domain?

Anyway it is all hypothetical as that is at the bottom of my list of possible entries but thanks for highlighting it for everyone else.
BeyondCloister Wrote:I'm not sure about the reuse of graphics though. Are you allowed to use graphics that are public domain? And if so, are not graphics from previous entries public domain?
Beware: the source code may be open or public domain, but the graphics and other media may not be. Anyone considering using assets from previous uDevGames entries should read the license and check with the original developer first. Certainly I wouldn't be happy if I saw the graphics from Yoink turning up in someone's finished product (although I'd tolerate their use as placeholders during development).

I can't imagine why you shouldn't be allowed to reuse your own assets, but I think it's a bad idea to do so without injecting something new. People who voted in previous years are likely to think "hey, this looks suspiciously familiar" and mark you down accordingly.

Neil Carter
Nether - Mac games and comic art
NCarter Wrote:People who voted in previous years are likely to think "hey, this looks suspiciously familiar" and mark you down accordingly.

Maybe I'm just so confident that my game will score full marks in all the other categories that I can afford to lose 1 point in the orginallity score Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  New Game Ideas? Le Muck 18 15,036 Dec 20, 2009 12:58 PM
Last Post: Frank C.
  Game Ideas: Your Thoughts Man With No Name 16 8,934 Mar 10, 2008 08:15 PM
Last Post: JustinFic
  Game ideas muffins91 6 5,076 Aug 2, 2007 07:53 PM
Last Post: AnotherJake
  Searching game ideas Iceman 7 5,551 Aug 27, 2005 04:13 PM
Last Post: unknown
  Spaceships strategy game ideas Achenar 1 4,040 Jun 26, 2005 02:18 AM