Good type and layout app?

My designs focus a lot on layout and type distortion, I have a similar style to David Carson and Neville Brody (if anyone has even heard of them...)

So far, I've managed on Photoshop, but it is really not a very good app if you are trying to work with typography and layout. So what I'm curious to know, is if anyone knows of any better products for this kind of design. I downloaded a copy of Freehand, and was fairly impressed, but the trial expired during the holidays and I didn't get much of a chance to use it. I quite liked the way I could position letters and then convert them to vectors, which made it very easy to distort and manipulate them.
What about other apps like Illustrator or some of those publishing apps that are around? Does anyone have any experience with them?
Quote this message in a reply
For manipulating type Illustrator is your friend. The industry standard and with good reason.

It is good for laying out single page documents but can't do multiple pages. For that I would recommend InDesign although I've barely ever used it as a web designer.
Founder
Mac apps...

Illustrator (also my pick)
Freehand by Macromedia
Canvas
also, check out Create by Stone Design

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
stygianfix
Unregistered

Illustrator or Freehand are definitely your best bet.

Especially if you want to get down to the level of editing the letters themselves.

If you are just interested in kerning/Leading etc... then Quark or InDesign work well (and faster once you get used to them) But these, you can't really tweak the individual shapes with these last two apps.

My preference is Freehand. I started using illustrator first, but switched to Freehand once I discovered it. Of course, that was over 13 years ago. If you do a lot of manual drawing, I still find Freehand easier/faster.

Chris
Founder
Of course, you could get BBedit and right your own postscript. Wink

Or Latex (is that what the scientific app is called??)

Cheers

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
jamie
Unregistered

For page layout and design I've always used the combination of Illustrator and Quark Xpress. Illustrator is great for illustrating (imagine that!) and manipulating type outlines, and though you can do single page layouts in it fairly easy if you ever need to do multi page documents, catalogs, brochures, etc. you really need something like Xpress to do the layouts in. It's really just personal preference that I like Illustrator and Xpress, you could accomplish pretty much the same things with Freehand and InDesign.
I've given Illustrator a go and I really like it. It is like Freehand but a lot easier to use. I'll see if I can get my hands on a Canvas demo as well, because it doesn't look bad itself.
Founder
Canvas' strength is that it does vector and bitmap, much like SuperPaint did years ago. be sure to check out Create, which I reported on today.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Max
David Carson and Neville Brody? Awesome graphic designers! I studied their art in university! I hope I will be as good as them... one day. Smile

Freelance video game artist and video game compliance tester at Enzyme Testing Labs.
They are amazing. I've seen good work from other artists too, but those two just pump out a constant stream of neat stuff.

I studied David Carson briefly in college, and I must say that he is a great designer Smile