Hyper Olympics style controls

I bought myself one of those 99 old arcade games in a single console things last week. One fo the games on it was Hyper Olympics (main reason I bought it actually).

I thought of doing such a game, and I see that Carlos has mentioned Summergames in the uDG ideas thread.

I was disappointed though that the Hyper Olympics only used the repeat pressing of the a single button for speed.

I remember playing Daley Tompson's Decathlon and Daley Tompson's Supertest on the Spectrum and for that it was pressing 2 keys alternativly for the speed.

The problem I see with doing such a game now is the control method. I would not want to sit there and pound the keyboard of my £1000+ iBook or iMac just for a game Sad

An alternative idea was to use the mouse and move it side to side for the speed, but then again that would cause problems for iBook and PowerBook users..

Using the mouse buttons would only work for the sack race Wink

Does anyone have any ideas how such a control method could be implemented these days without damage to keyboard?
Quote this message in a reply
leggo
Unregistered

BeyondCloister Wrote:I bought myself one of those 99 old arcade games in a single console things last week. One fo the games on it was Hyper Olympics (main reason I bought it actually).

I thought of doing such a game, and I see that Carlos has mentioned Summergames in the uDG ideas thread.

I was disappointed though that the Hyper Olympics only used the repeat pressing of the a single button for speed.

I remember playing Daley Tompson's Decathlon and Daley Tompson's Supertest on the Spectrum and for that it was pressing 2 keys alternativly for the speed.

The problem I see with doing such a game now is the control method. I would not want to sit there and pound the keyboard of my £1000+ iBook or iMac just for a game Sad

An alternative idea was to use the mouse and move it side to side for the speed, but then again that would cause problems for iBook and PowerBook users..

Using the mouse buttons would only work for the sack race Wink

Does anyone have any ideas how such a control method could be implemented these days without damage to keyboard?

you can use 3-4 buttons that have to be pressed when the relative image appears on screen
precision = speed
borges
Unregistered

leggo Wrote:you can use 3-4 buttons that have to be pressed when the relative image appears on screen
precision = speed

This is a good idea... say, you can combine this with Carlos' other request for a typing game. By the end of the marathon event you could have a finished novel. Smile
Actually, the problem of the mouse on a trackpad could be overcome in a strange way, though some people are not used to it.

Hold somewhere on the left of the trackpad, then put another finger on the right side, then lift up your finger from the left side. The cursor will jump very fast to far to the right onscreen.

You could tell notebook users to do that.

KB Productions, Car Care for iPhone/iPod Touch
@karlbecker_com
All too often, art is simply the loss of practicality.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  3rd person shooter w/ lots of controls ferum 12 6,025 Sep 13, 2005 01:47 PM
Last Post: stevejohnson
  Gauntlet-style bot movements buddy 4 4,563 Oct 14, 2003 03:15 AM
Last Post: Jason Colman
  style of game AREM 2 3,894 Aug 28, 2003 06:56 AM
Last Post: Bjoernke
  Thrust Style calculations? Scoops 7 5,238 Jul 2, 2002 11:32 PM
Last Post: Scoops