Focus on SDL

Sage
Does anybody have this book? I am considering purchasing it but I fear that I will have trouble using it with my Mac. If anybody knows more about the book let me know if I will run into problems. Thanks for help.
Quote this message in a reply
I received it for a prize for uDevGames, and gave it to my windows friend. I glanced at it, it didn't have anything for the mac in it, but all the code was C with some C++ at the end. I can't recommend it or say anything bad against it, because I never had a chance to use it. My friend is still learning C so he hasn't done much graphics with it yet.
Sage
Thanks for that but if anyone has read this and can comment I would appreciate it.
I haven't read it, but it would be odd if a book focusing on a cross-platform library wasn't cross-platform itself... Blink ...after all, that is SDL's USP.

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
Sage
I seem to remember peeking at this book in a store once. Wasn't too impressed with it, didn't seem to say as much as SDL's documentation did.

Um, didn't have any Mac stuff in it? Of course it doesn't have Mac specific stuff in it, but that's the whole point... I didn't remember seeing any Windows only stuff in it either.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
Sage
I was kinda worried about buying because when I looked at the preview pages at Amazon.com the first couple pages explained that the book was written for all platforms but the author used MS VC++ to do the coding so thats the entire first chapter of set up out the window for me being a Mac user. Obviously I cannot know what is in the rest of the book but I was afraid that some of the book may be useless due to his use of VC++. If anyone knows anything else let me know. Thanks.
Sage
By design SDL is very cross-platform oriented. Other than some small differences, everything will be the same.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
Sage
OK thanks for that advice. I'm going to get that book now.
-Rice-
Unregistered

Nick,
try this book instead, as it is unix based. I read it last year, and did the excercises, and it was great.

http://www.nostarch.com/frameset.php?startat=plg

here is a write up about it on freshmeat:

http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/310/

and best of all the author was kind enough to release it as a pdf a while back! Give it a shot and if you have any questions feel free to email me as I went this route as well, or post your questions here (as I did) for quicker (and better) advice.

Rice
Sage
So currently I'm down to looking at three books as my potential next purchase. I'm getting into Mac programming, understanding some stuff, but I do like hard copies of information. Plus some books just are really good learning tools. Currently in consideration:
1) Focus on SDL
2) Programming Linux Games (recommended by above post)
3)Beginning OpenGL Game Programming

If anyone knows about any of these books please help me out so that I don't waste any money. Or if there are better books or if all of these books suck, let me know that too. The end goal is described on another post. I've changed the story so as to go with Camacho's idea of the thief because that sounded fun. But the gameplay still applies.
Check out my Design
For more of an idea of my goals check out the game Yoink! because that was the game that hooked me into making a 2D sidescroller.
Get Yoink Here
Quote:If anyone can tell me how to make links that aren't the webpage but rather a label I would appreciate it.

If you mean in the forum, "[ url = http://your_url ] your label [ /url ]" (without the spaces) will become "your label".

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
Sage
Cool. Thanks for that little tip.
SimReality/Nick Wrote:3)Beginning OpenGL Game Programming

I flipped through this book briefly, and immediately put it back. It's basically just an introduction to OpenGL. You can find this same information online in the first few NeHe Tutorials.

It's also very Windows-centric. The book uses WGL heavily. If you're familiar with the book "OpenGL Game Programming" it's basically that minus the DirectX chapters.

But if you want to learn OpenGL, it's an option, although better options would be NeHe, the Red Book and the OpenGL SuperBible.

If you know OpenGL and just want to learn how to make games with it, then I wouldn't even bother with this book, as you would probably know everything in it already.

As for Focus On SDL, even though the docs are online I still got it and am digging it. There is nothing Windows about it-- I've been working out of it for months. It's a good way to learn the basics, and you can always fish through the online documentation for the minute details. The book also has a final section which focuses on creating an application framework using all the individual pieces of SDL.

Justin Ficarrotta
http://www.justinfic.com
"It is better to be The Man than to work for The Man." - Alexander Seropian
Sage
Cool thanks. I've been going throught some online tutorials for SDL. I'm about to learn sprites. I'll probably get Focus on SDL now.

***I NO LONGER NEED HELP. NOBOBY NEEDS TO POST HERE ANYMORE.***

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  rotate to focus on objects szgezu 1 1,988 Mar 4, 2006 03:59 AM
Last Post: SOUCHAN