Linux IDE's

Anyone here a closet Linux-head?

The PC programmer on my project has been working on our Linux port. However, he considers KDE the most unuseable piece of junk he's ever seen. He cannot believe that Linux developers tolerate it.

C/C++ support is what's needed.

Anyone got suggestions on other Linux IDE's?

Thanks,

Wade
Quote this message in a reply
I'm a bit confused here - you are asking about IDEs (Integrated Development Environments) but then you talk about KDE which is a graphical Desktop Environment!

If you want a better GUI have a look an Gnome.

As for IDEs, the only one I'm familiar with is Eclipse (http://www.eclipse.org) which is mainly for Java but they have a C/C++ project, which may be at a useable stage.

Cheers

- Iain
The only IDE on Linux I've used has been KDevelop for C/C++ (which runs, unsurprisingly, on KDE); it is passably useful, (or at least, nicer than the CL tools), but I've read in passing that it attaches an onerous license to anything you produce with it... I'm not sure whether that is right, wrong, or a piece of deliberate misinformation I'm helping to spread though...

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
Luminary
Wait, a Linux-head wanting an IDE? What's wrong with GNU Make (or one of the nicer alternatives like CONS or SCONS), the command-line, and his text editor of choice?
Doh! My apologies. I meant to say KDevelop. That's what he has described as a useless piece of crap". Smile

Wade
Iron Wallaby
Unregistered

OneSadCookie Wrote:Wait, a Linux-head wanting an IDE? What's wrong with GNU Make (or one of the nicer alternatives like CONS or SCONS), the command-line, and his text editor of choice?
Nothing. I like it very much. Smile GNU Make + bash + ne makes for an excellent combo.

As for Desktop Environments: KDE is slow and messy, GNOME is slow and bloated, and both of the two are very resource-hungry and will make your system run slowly. If you want a fully-integrated, nice-looking, properly-functioning, AND light system, have a look into XFCE4. (http://www.xfce.org/)

I myself use ION, which is still my favorite window manager, even though it is so simple.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Unholy method to link Linux library? Cochrane 3 3,181 Jun 30, 2008 06:37 AM
Last Post: OptimisticMonkey
  Linux geek wanting to get into Mac games programming supenguin 8 5,165 Nov 16, 2005 09:49 PM
Last Post: EvolPenguin
  porting linux glut code to mac os x zynek 12 6,460 Jan 23, 2005 05:47 PM
Last Post: zynek
  Linux Games/Tibia Kris 3 4,551 Sep 27, 2004 04:08 PM
Last Post: ERaZer
  Obj-C on Linux Steven 40 18,625 Apr 14, 2003 02:34 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie