Game design documents.

Lucis-Gladius
Unregistered

Greetings Idevgames

The design documents that I posted on this forum is the whole project of <<Purple|Star>>, a summary of 2 games, 2 episodes and 3 dynasties. Am thinking about writing new design documents for an easy prototype, if you have any interest you can contact me at...

AIM: Lucis Gladius or e-mail: centurio_romanum@lycos.com

I am a newcomer here on Idevgames, and am also new in the world of game development and C++. My skills are writing concepts, in the past I used to compose music and did lots of research about industrial design. Am working on a new game concept, and wanted to know what Idevusers thaught about the genre so that I could learn from their opinions.

Here`s 1 really cool quote by Duncan from my previous thread:
"amidst your brainstorming stay grounded in reality, in what you or your collaborators can reasonably do. That, I think, will help most of all."

Later all

Alex.
I voted all because the poll allowed me too...

otherwise, I refuse to comment much/at all on something that not even briefly explained in 1 or 2 lines minus the generic words mentioned in the poll
Yeah, i dunno what we are supposed to be polling...

Alex
EvolPenguins Wrote:Yeah, i dunno what we are supposed to be polling...

Alex

Same here...
I believe the question is is an RPG/action game a bad or good idea.

I'd have to know a whole lot more about it to tell you whether or not I think it's a good idea.
jabber Wrote:I believe the question is is an RPG/action game a bad or good idea.

I'd have to know a whole lot more about it to tell you whether or not I think it's a good idea.

My understanding was about the type of game and is it worthing writing another game of that type and not a question about a specific game.
Apprentice
If by RPG/Action he means something like Morrowind III, then it's great. However if he means games like Diablo, Dungeons & Dragons, Baldur's Gate II: Dark Alliance, Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel, then I'm absolutely against it. Those annoying and mindless point and click, click, click, click, click, click-games aren't of any good entertainment.
Hog
i completely agree with Rincewind.
additionally the option "Not so good idea. The design (plot, graphics, etc...) will be hard to do and take alot of time." is missing
BeyondCloister Wrote:My understanding was about the type of game and is it worthing writing another game of that type and not a question about a specific game.
Ah, but how in the world can we tell if it is worth writing without knowing more about it? Action/RPG can encompass quite a lot.
jabber Wrote:Ah, but how in the world can we tell if it is worth writing without knowing more about it? Action/RPG can encompass quite a lot.

Sounds like chicken and egg the way you put it Blink

The way I see it, the poll is about the genre. That would mean if the poll said no more then he may not both writing the design, not if the poll said no then he would not write the game based on the design.
gregorypierce
Unregistered

Rincewind Wrote:If by RPG/Action he means something like Morrowind III, then it's great. However if he means games like Diablo, Dungeons & Dragons, Baldur's Gate II: Dark Alliance, Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel, then I'm absolutely against it. Those annoying and mindless point and click, click, click, click, click, click-games aren't of any good entertainment.

I dunno. I have this thing about walking mindlessly for hours in a world that just isn't all that interesting because its too large to make it interesting.
Oldtimer
Lucius, since your old thread got locked, I just want to recommend you a book: Game Architecture and Design. It's the best intro book to game design there is. Good luck, and I hope you achieve your dreams. Just keep in mind it will take you many years, and you'll probably be working in beta testing for a couple of years.
Founder
I think the problem is that the author may not be able to express himself in English. Anyone speak Dutch?

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Camacho Wrote:I think the problem is that the author may not be able to express himself in English. Anyone speak Dutch?
There's always trusty old Babelfish Wink
Luminary
The Dutch have the best English-as-a-second-language program in the world... if Lucis Gladius is more than about 12 he should pretty much be fluent.

They also have a very effective Dutch-as-a-second-language program, as a consequence of which I do speak some Dutch Smile
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Workflow - tried and tested for game design marchon 0 944 May 1, 2014 09:40 AM
Last Post: marchon
  Apps for game design? XxHeadShotxX 9 14,492 Aug 14, 2012 05:28 AM
Last Post: EastbayHill
  Game design feedback tross 11 15,758 Aug 12, 2012 06:33 PM
Last Post: Play Go
  any suggestion for game poster design jc82111 3 4,725 Jun 20, 2012 02:27 AM
Last Post: James Andy
  Board Game Design ahnona84 0 2,880 Oct 31, 2011 11:54 PM
Last Post: ahnona84