Carbon or Cocoa for Games

Hog
DoG Wrote:Also, Cocoa has a more advantageous learning curve than Carbon, but in the end you can do the same thing with either API.

yeah, after two years of casual Carbon programming you can do just about as much as with the Cocoa you've just learnt after starting with it a few days ago, which doesn't mean you will be able to do it on the fly.
Quote this message in a reply
Quote:Personally, I find Cocoa excellent for UI related things, but prefer to steer clear of Obj-C for performance reasons, hence prefer to code in C++ for core things (despite OSC's crusade againts evil).

C++ isn't that much better than Objective-C speed wise. Really, the only thing I'm not a huge fan of it in Objective-C is the brackets for message passing. I don't have a better solution though, so I don't worry about it. As for speed, hand tuned loops in pure C, without any C++ or Objective-C, would be the best. Though with compilers getting smarter and smarter all this crap I learned to make my programs smaller and faster 10 years ago isn't nearly as important.

So what do you do, build your view in Cocoa, your model in C++ and all the controller in C? What a mess, blah. Though you can do it however you wish! Smile

~ Travis
I program my games in C++ with my Mac specific stuff tied into Cocoa ObjC calls.
I use SDL, with some Carbon stuff sprinkled here and there if I absolutely need it.

Another advantage to SDL + OpenGL combination is you are using nearly all cross-platform code. Porting is (almost) a copy-paste deal.

Cocoa rocks for small tools though.

Justin Ficarrotta
http://www.justinfic.com
"It is better to be The Man than to work for The Man." - Alexander Seropian
Carbon!

Simply because I HAVE to support 9...
(and I still haven't found time to learn Cocoa)
BinarySpike Wrote:Carbon!

no you don't... If you support OS 9, you're helping the communist win!
BinarySpike Wrote:Carbon!

Quote:Occupation: Hobby programer
Rasp

[minimum message length filler /]
Hog
BinarySpike Wrote:(and I still haven't found time to learn Cocoa)

if you are using Carbon then you must have plenty of time to learn Cocoa, ... not to think of all surplus time you would have if you used Cocoa.
if you really have to support OS 9 then Carbon is not the best choice either. OS 9 has poor Carbon support. Carbon is pretty crappy on OS 9. (not fully implemented and never will be)
SDL or Cocoa depending on whether I want cross platform or not.

SDL is easy to use. Highly Cross Platform. OpenGLy. Events are easy peasy.
Cocoa is easy to make UIs with. Objective-C. A bit annoying to do GL in but easy if you make a template for it.

Carbon is hard to use. Bad for UIs. Not cross platform. OS 9 is history, it doesn't even run without classic on the new macs. I only use it when there is some specific feature that it has and cocoa doesn't (like better speach synthesis).

Is quicktime part of Carbon? I think of it as a seperate api. But either way, Quicktime is good too :-).
Quicktime is a C API. If apple loves QT and Cocoa so much, they should make it easier for people to use them.

C and Objective-C go hand-in-hand. I like to use C for my OpenGL bits, plus Cocoa for the classes, event, and communication management.

[edit]Cool. When did I become a mentor? Huh Grin Cool[/edit]

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
MrBeardsley
Unregistered

Quote:Quicktime is a C API. If apple loves QT and Cocoa so much, they should make it easier for people to use them.

I think with Quicktime 7 that is exactly what they are doing.
good Grin I think then we will find much more movie apps other than just "editing" apps, that basically are just apps that allow you to add frames, move sections of movies, etc. think more snapz pro competitors. Grin

It's not magic, it's Ruby.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Cocoa or Carbon? Leroy 5 3,791 May 17, 2007 06:54 PM
Last Post: SethWillits
  Newbie question: Cocoa and Carbon - which for what and how to get started? BliTz 3 3,260 Jul 27, 2006 10:07 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  Carbon C/ Cocoa API Questions Stalin55 3 3,301 Jul 3, 2006 02:07 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  Noob Cocoa and Carbon Questions MonitorFlickers 15 6,300 Feb 23, 2006 06:01 PM
Last Post: Tesselate
  Setting Up Cocoa For Games Nick 9 4,493 Oct 2, 2004 12:41 PM
Last Post: Nick