Beginner questions...

mdavis1982
Unregistered

Hi all...

Having recently switched to a Mac from the PC platform, I was amazed to find that all the development tools I needed were on my hard disk already! So cool! Cool

I'm not totally new to development having spend lots of time on my PC writing software in Delphi (Object Pascal), and before that wrote lots of things in AMOS on the Amiga and BASIC on a Spectrum!

So, I'm interested in game development. I found the FlipSquare tutorials on http://www.createmacgames.org and I've finished the parts that have been posted currently. Pretty impressive, and I learned a lot about Cocoa. I've also ordered the Hillegass book which should be with me tomorrow! Grin

So, I'm wondering where to go from here. Do I just sit down and read the Hillegass book, and then jump into writing something along the lines of Connect-4, or do I take a different approach. I eventually want to use OpenGL (for 2D games), but obviously that's a long way off yet!

Any help or advice would be excellent, as I'm really starting to like developing on the Mac... It's such a refreshin change to the horrible PC I've been used to for the last 11 years!

Cheers,

Matt
Quote this message in a reply
mdavis1982 Wrote:So, I'm wondering where to go from here. Do I just sit down and read the Hillegass book, and then jump into writing something along the lines of Connect-4, or do I take a different approach. I eventually want to use OpenGL (for 2D games), but obviously that's a long way off yet!

That's probably the best way to go, as you can use custom NSView objects (read the Hillegass book) to handle your drawing. Start off with simple board and card games and work your way up from there.

The brains and fingers behind Malarkey Software (plus caretaker of the world's two brattiest felines).
Founder
Welcome Matt (Maybe change your name to AnotherMatt aka AnotherJake) Wink

Did you order the 2nd edition of Aaron's book? I hope so.

Also, have you browsed Apple7s dev site? developer.apple.com. Go to their game dev section.

You have about a month to learn a bit more and then jump into our programming contest, uDevGames.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
mdavis1982 Wrote:So, I'm wondering where to go from here. Do I just sit down and read the Hillegass book, and then jump into writing something along the lines of Connect-4, or do I take a different approach. I eventually want to use OpenGL (for 2D games), but obviously that's a long way off yet!
Once you get comfortable with Cocoa and Objective-C, I would recommend trying out the (now dead) CocoaBlitz.
Nibbie
I would try jumping into openGL as soon as you can. One Sad Cookie's GLUT tutorial http://203.79.121.211/~keith/XcodeGLUT/ . You already have the tools you need if you have XCode.
Camacho Wrote:Welcome Matt (Maybe change your name to AnotherMatt aka AnotherJake) Wink
...or maybe MuchoMattcho! Rasp
That's the way to go. Seems like you have a pretty level-headed approach to it. See how things go with the Hillegass book and go from there. The NeHe tutorials should be another thing to look at afterwards when you're ready to move on to OpenGL, although some of the Cocoa code is already a little dated and broken.
mdavis1982
Unregistered

Hi Guys...

Thanks for all the advice! The Hillegass book came this morning, and I'm just about to start reading it! Mmmmmm... UDevGame 2004 would be cool to enter! Not quite sure what you have to enter, and what the rules are, but hey!

I think the best approach for me, bearing in mind what everyone has said, would be to read the Hillegass book, and then try developing something along the lines of Connect-4 or something, without using OpenGL, just to make sure I have everything understood. I've already seen the Apple docs, but couldn't find the Game Dev section. Maybe someone would be kind enough to post a link?

The Hillegass book is the second edition, so don't worry Carlos! ;-)

Right, I'm gonna get started reading it.. and hopefully I'll hear some more from you guys...

Thanks again,

Matt
mdavis1982
Unregistered

Hi again,

Also, how do I change my name? I can't for the life of me figure it out, although I'm probably overlooking something very simple!

Cheers,

Matt
mdavis1982 Wrote:Hi again,

Also, how do I change my name? I can't for the life of me figure it out, although I'm probably overlooking something very simple!

Cheers,

Matt

On the mac? or on iDevGames?

on IDG, you need to ask an admin.

On a mac, go to System preferences, o your dock (hopefully), go down to "users", then click on your name. I think you can figure it out from there. Wink
Nayr Wrote:on IDG, you need to ask an admin.
Specifically, ask the one known as Camacho...

Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath the clear blue sky?
Yeah, Camacho is the head honcho. But, make sure you do all the examples in his book. If you read it, and don't do the examples, you learn only 1/2 of the stuff you could learn. Reading code is not the same as writing code, and taking a break to write some code from the book and see something in action is fun! I know it was for me, but maybe i'm weird Rasp . I don't know if you will be ready for UDG (uDevGame '04) but you can always enter something. Doesn't matter if you win, just enter to get a deadline and make something fun. BTW, if you need some cocoa help, you can IM me at funkyhobohouse . Or, more likely, OneSadCookie (but i don't wanna give away his aim, he might kill me) cuz he is a guru on almost everything. Check out the irc chatroom for more talking and less coding. Ninja Have fun with cocoa and game programming!

Alex
mdavis1982
Unregistered

Okay...

Camacho, can you change my name for me on iDevGames to MuchoMattcho? Grin

Seems it would stop some confusion! :confused:

Cheers,

Matt
eekaydee
Unregistered

Wow. Thank you Joseph for posting that link to OSC's GLUT tutorial! I always thought that openGL was incomprehensibly complex, but I just made a square move! Wow

Wow again, maybe I should try something other than basic. Ninja