Advance Wars Online?

Well, rename the Medium tank to SuperKiller Tank or Big Tank or something, and use your own graphics. But they can't relly call you on infantry, or heavy infantry, and such. Or tank. Or recon, the names are so generic.

Alex
Quote this message in a reply
I'd go with the names, Light Tank (to replace Tank), Medium Tank, and Heavy Tank (to replace the Neo Tank).

I'd also consider adding a Aircraft Carrier unit to carry your air force across water and save fuel. Give it ranged anti-aircraft weaponry, and I think it'll still keep the balance among units.

Just a few thoughts if someone ever gets around making an Advance Wars clone.
eekaydee
Unregistered

Applekid, you're talking about the Advance Wars cruiser: anti-air, anti-sub, and able to carry 2 copters.

Yeah, they are generic. But it's not the name's I'm worried about, it's the concept.
Well, i've only played the original, not the new one, so Neo tank is new to me, but sounds cool. Makes me want to get the new one. Good luck eekaydee.

Alex
eekaydee Wrote:Applekid, you're talking about the Advance Wars cruiser: anti-air, anti-sub, and able to carry 2 copters.

It only held copters. That's why we need an Aircraft Carrier to carry the rest of our air force. Smile
Apprentice
DaFalcon Wrote:[If you don't know about Mage Knight or Hero Clix, it is a minatures tabletop game where, when the pieces take damage, you move a dial on their base and their stats change with each "click" of damage until they die.]
Ugh. Thinking of MK as a tabletop game almost makes me sick Wink A real tabletop games consist of more than just the game... Just looking at those "model" makes me cringe. The goggles, they do nothing! Grin

Anyway, I'd love to see a real tabletop game being translated to the computer. So far I haven't see a really good translation. Sad

Advance Wars Online would be nice, though. Loved AW on my GBA.
I don't know why you'd do that, but it would probably be okay. You might as well put your own original spin on it, though. Make it more fun. Advance Wars is not perfect... or at least, it doesn't meet everyone's tastes in games exactly. Do something different with it. Where you will really get into trouble is if your THEME is the same. Characters, story, and themes are the easier way to prove that someone has copied you (or you have copied someone else.)

Just make the game exactly the same and tweak it until it's different/better. Grin

I don't think the game I used to play had money as a resource, so it might be I'm thinking of a different game or something... I might be mixing it up with the old Buck Rogers strategy board game back when those Master series games like Axis and Allies and Shogun (now Samurai Swords) were popular. Wink

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain." - Wizard of Oz
eekaydee
Unregistered

What do you think about giving the player more control over his buildings? For example allowing them to build the buildings rather than capture them? This might be more fun...or it might not. Anyone have opinions?

It would certainly take something away from the importance of the map, but with it also the amount of work it takes to create one.
If the players can build cities/factories where they please, there's no reason (except for lack of breathing room) for the players to try to take enemy cities, and the players will just revert to tank-rush mentalities...

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
I think you should just remove the CO aspect of the game. If any of you played any of the prequels of Advance Wars (Famicom Wars, GB Wars, GBC Wars, Super Famicom Wars), you know that those didn't have any COs and was still a good game. Or maybe, the player will be given a random power or two when they start a game. It would make players playing online change their tactics and strategies as needed.

I would advise not allowing the ability to build cities or bases. It'll make it too complicated.
Yeah, I like that bases are where bases are and you can't build more.

I didn't realize there have been a line of "Wars" games, but I guess that explains the generic "Advance Wars" title... it comes from a long line of genericism. Were any of those games released in the US?

I agree that it would still be a great game without the CO power. What might be interesting is to tie these powers to specific buildings. So you have to capture the Temple of Great Speed and then you have that power (when it builds up, as it would for a CO) ... it adds even more strategic advantage to which buildings you take. Still, there should not be many on a map, and they need to be evenly distributed near players. You could make it random so that you don't know what ability a building has until it is captured, and it changes each time you play the map. Just an idea.
eekaydee
Unregistered

Well, I already have an idea for the COs that I think would make it more fun.

As for the cities, bases, ports, and airports, I do like them being fixed in the map. Again though, my concern is about cloning too closely. Maybe it is ok for uDev, but what if I wanted to sell this? (Or anyone else for the matter; I do not reserve the right to be the one and only to make this game, lest I abandon the project unfinished.)

You have an interesting idea, Falcon. It's like that one map in AW with the sole airport in the center of the mapñeveryone struggles to capture it first. Perhaps it could work the same way.
Frankly, I think the CO's should stay in some way, even if it's a diminished role. Why? Because they add so much character to the game. It sets it apart from the 1000's of other war games that use variations of this exact same game design (which has lived before hand in boxed games with lots of little hex tiles )

The trick is to make the CO's interesting/fascinating and unique enough to stand out... and call them something different than CO's so you don't get sued.

I kind of like the idea of liberating the leader from a city. Makes it a nice surprise each level... however, usually the more random a strategy game is the less satisfying it is overall.

As for worrying about an exact replica... don't make it an exact replica. :/ Using a city and commanders and tanks is not a new idea. Plus, you will be using a MOUSE! So, it's completely different! Wink Sounds like you have a different idea for CO's that's cool. Tweak it how you like it and don't use the words "Advance" or "Wars"... Believe me, though, turn based war games have been around for a LOOONG time and you'd be hard pressed to come up with a single original game element that no one else has used. Just put your own stamp on it and make it better by your own standards.

If you are still worried, believe me, people will tell you if they think it's too close and then you can transmorgify it as you go.

Sage
I'm not 100% sure on this, but I don't think there would be a problem with using "Wars" in the name as long as the name is not "Advance Wars". I also don't think there would be a problem with calling the CO's, CO's because that simple stands for Commanding Officer and that seems general enough for me.

As far as the whole idea, I loved Advance Wars and would love to see it come to Mac or PC (really like Mac version though Smile). If in your pursuit of coding you could use some help, let me know and I'll do what I can.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Avance Wars Online SUPJC89 1 3,494 Oct 25, 2004 06:18 PM
Last Post: Josh