Advance Wars Online?

<off topic>Before anybody else suggests it, the iDevGames spy unit, able to hide for up to six months...</off topic>

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
Quote this message in a reply
First, I just want to say, I've often wanted to play Advance Wars because I know I've enjoyed games like it (what was that game on the mac classic?) but I'd really sit down to play it if it was on my mac. Smile So, I'd really like to see more discussion on this game... I have a couple projects I'm working on now, but I could see myself working on a project like this ( and I know someone else who would love to.) So, by all means keep discussing it!

Should we just have a forum category for game ideas? Or requests?
Honestly, I enjoy seeing what types of games people stick their necks out for; what people who can't make games are dreaming about. It's nice to see someone get excited about a type of game and then discuss the good and the bad about it. I don't see a problem with that. In fact, I don't think it's out of the question that a discussion like this could lead to a lot of problem solving and designing right in the forum until someone just picks up the idea and runs with it.

Perhaps if there was a separate forum category for it, those who get bothered by it can just ignore it, and if someone posts in the wrong place a moderator can just move it to the correct category. What do you think?

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain." - Wizard of Oz
I dunnno, I think Game Design encompasses game ideas and requests. Well, I don't exactly see them as requests, but even so I guess they would go here.

I like the idea of iDevGames themed AW, though that would only be cool to a very limited audience. What about some kind of skinnable/moddable Advance Wars engine? That woudl be awesome ... and people could create their own units and AI and stuff, and then someone could create that iDG theme game.
I think that might be more complicated than making the game straight out... but yeah, it's an awesome idea falcon.

Alex
eekaydee
Unregistered

I think I might take a shot at it, but I'm not going to bother myself or anyone else with making graphics, sounds, or music until I'm sure I can make it.
aaronsullivan Wrote:(what was that game on the mac classic?)

Would it be Empire Deluxe? If so I used to spend countless hours on it. At one point though I moved and lost the manual, which I needed to get past the copy protection (third word in the second sentence in the fourth paragraph on page 145, anyone?)

DaFalcon Wrote:I like the idea of iDevGames themed AW, though that would only be cool to a very limited audience.

The goal would be to make it cool to everyone, and that very limited audience notices the references in the COs and gets that much more out of it. It's kind of like Quentin Tarantino's Kill Bill: I probably didn't get even 10% of the references (if any at all) but I still went in and loved that movie.

But I agree: a skinnable engine would rock so much harder.

Justin Ficarrotta
http://www.justinfic.com
"It is better to be The Man than to work for The Man." - Alexander Seropian
acheron
Unregistered

Advance Wars Wow Please someone make this Grin
eekaydee, if you do get something started on this, send me an e-mail and I'll start some kind of graphics.
Yes, I was thinking of Empire Deluxe but the sad fact is I couldn't find a link to even a picture of the mac version! There is a PC version with new graphics that has network/internet play. Smile

eekaydee
Unregistered

I never knew about Empire Deluxe. I guess it beat me to it before I even started. Blink I mean, isn't Empire Deluxe basically an online Advance Wars? It has the same units and buildings.

Trying to come up with a unique system, I now see how ingenious the AW system is. The double purpose of cities (money and repair) simplifies the game.

I can't believe it, those two games are so similar! Maybe I shouldn't be so worried about copying Advance Wars.
Empire Deluxe had the interesting twist that you had to "discover" your world as you played... the maps were randomly generated and you can't see the rest of the map until you explore it (like Warcraft I and II.) It was the first computer war game I actually enjoyed.

eekaydee
Unregistered

How did the game work? For example, is income based on cities? I tried to find out on the site, but it doesn't give enough information.
I don't believe there was income at all. The amount and type of units you could make was based on the number of factories you owned (and if they were on a coast... if I remember right.) You were limited by rounds. For instance a carrier might take 4 or 5 rounds to complete. Instead of getting money from victories, you tried to aquire more factories. That's how my foggy memory sees it anyway.

Nope, Cities worked like this. Each city you own gives you 1,000 a round, which you can use to buy new guys. If you have an injured/out of fuel/out of ammo unit, they can get ammo/health/fuel at a city too. THe unit is built instantly and it goes into play next round.

Alex
eekaydee
Unregistered

So it is just like Advance Wars! Shock
So no one would mind if I used cities for income right? And had the exact same units?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Avance Wars Online SUPJC89 1 3,494 Oct 25, 2004 06:18 PM
Last Post: Josh