Advance Wars Online?

eekaydee
Unregistered

By that you mean Intelligent Systems and Nintendo. Don't worry, if I ever make it, I'll introduce some radical new changes like:
COs will now be called...er...Ls, Leaders!
And Hachi's store will become Bob's black market.
And the game will be called War Underground.
Whoa no one will ever know!
Quote this message in a reply
adlerklaue
Unregistered

i got though goole here and i had a quite similar idea.. why dont make an emulator online-able like mame32 with kaillera?

for those who dont know:
http://www.kaillera.com

that would make things easier. no licences etc and ur free to download the game if u own the cartridge! im not a programmer but maybe some of u?

think about it Wink
eekaydee
Unregistered

Not for macs...
Actually, an Advance Wars TYPE game that can be played online would be a wonderful uDevGames entry. If someone were serious about something like this for uDG 2004, I would throw my personal life out a window for three months and create all the graphics needed so that this would be made.

And actually, I don't know if anyone here has ever played Mage Knight or HeroClix, but I was thinking that some simplified online version of *that game* (maybe a mix of that game's battle/stat system and Advance Wars type resource management) would work wonderfully.

[If you don't know about Mage Knight or Hero Clix, it is a minatures tabletop game where, when the pieces take damage, you move a dial on their base and their stats change with each "click" of damage until they die.]
eekaydee
Unregistered

Wait, so in the Mage Knight and Hero Clix type stat system you're talking about, stats go down proportionally with health, right? Or do some go down first, and then others after?
Well, in Hero Clix you get to play superheroes (and villains) ... so Daredevil gets weaker as he takes a beating. But the Hulk gets stronger for a while. So it depends on the character. Also, you have super powers, so while Punisher might start out with stealth, hit him a couple times and he gains Running Shot, which lets him move and attack in the same turn (which isn't normally allowed) and Smoke Cloud (which lets him cover a hasty retreat).

The stats also don't change porportionally, sometimes you still have really strong stats before you die, sometimes one or two hits turns you really weak. I know in Advance Wars your HP affects how much damage you can do, but there is a lot more to it in Hero Clix (I haven't played Mage Knight, but it is a D&D type Hero Clix type game).

Oh, and some stats change faster than others. Captain America's attack values and speed may drop, but his defense may remain high.
eekaydee
Unregistered

I see, so it all depends.

If I were to enter something into uDev, it would probably be judged only on it's one player mode right? I mean, the judges won't try out the multi player right?
Well, uDevGames is judged by the public as well as judges. And I'm certain some people would organize multi-player games during the contest. But you're right that a game without a solid single player mode would probably be at a disadvantage.
diordna Wrote:So, how about you go learn a programming language and make it yourself?
Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad

Remarks like that are, have been, and always will be out of line.

Not everyone wants to be a code monkey.

Game Players are the bread and butter of Game Developers

With that said, this game looks like KinderGarten Command and Conquer or ye olde Cannon Fodder games, so I doubt many lawsuits would fit if you made a game with similiar gameplay, since the developers ripped off another game to start with.

Looking at the graphics I'm not inclined to play this game, but reading the review makes its sound really tempting.

Quote:Considering all the modes, maps, COs, and strategy packed into Advance Wars, it's rather remarkable that the game looks as gorgeous as it does. Before each mission, manga-style character artwork sets the scene, eventually giving way to a soft-colored top-view map that is populated with hundreds of crisp, highly animated units--all with nary an instance of slowdown or flicker. Incidentals such as flashing tower lights and crashing waves on shorelines also give the game an aura of realism, but the true elegance of each battle is only realized during unit-to-unit confrontations, when animated cutscenes show the explosive nature of war.

Boil it all down and the one word that comes to mind is "great." Advance Wars is deep and easy to learn, and it contains a level of replay rarely witnessed in handheld gaming. Whether intentional or not, Nintendo and Intelligent Systems have created the consummate handheld strategy sim by which all others will now be measured.
By Frank Provo, GameSpot*

Sounds good doesn't it?
eekaydee
Unregistered

It is good. The graphics aren't fancy, but they are clean. And the gameplay is awesome.
I'm hoping someone makes this real! Man, I'd love a turn-based strategy game using modern age weaponry (if not a clone of Advance Wars).

Advance Wars is just perfect. I found the sequel added a few more strategy elements, but it didn't fee as cool as Advance Wars.
ibullard
Unregistered

igame3d Wrote:Remarks like that are, have been, and always will be out of line.

Not everyone wants to be a code monkey.

Then those people shouldn't expect other people to make games for them. Honestly, that's like saying I want to make a car but don't want to be a mechanic.

Everyone in the world has game ideas they'd like to see done and just posting a few paragraphs for a game idea and expecting other people to pick it up and make it is silly. Apologies to the original poster, but that's the way it is. Making a game is hard work and you can't expect other people to do all that work for you. Either learn to do it yourself, pay someone else to do it, or learn to live without it.

So, remarks like that are completely in line.
ibullard Wrote:Honestly, that's like saying I want to make a car but don't want to be a mechanic.

But maybe he wants to be the Electronic Engineer that links together everything electronic in the car, you don't have to be the hardcore mechanic to make a car, as long as you don't want to be that guy who sits around all day drawing concept cars.
Look, he never demanded that anyone do anything. He came with a suggestion for a PC game, and it was a good suggestion, which we have picked up on and discussed and maybe planted an idea in a developer's mind or maybe not. He has every right to show up here and offer ideas, in my opinion. And I do hope a coder here picks up on some of these ideas for a uDevGames entry, because it would be awesome.

Also, gamers always expect someone else to do all that work for them. It happens all the time. Someone does a lot of work, the gamer pays them to be able to play the result of that work. What's so wrong with that?
ibullard
Unregistered

Jake,
You're nit-picking. No matter what part of the car you want to make, you need to put a lot of time and effort into making it work. There is no "here's something I thought up make it work" position in car manufacturing nor is there one in games.

DaFalcon,
What, is my opinion not allowed here? Should I change my tone and lie to say "hey! that's great! I'm sure *someone* will pick it up and make your game for you!" The truth is, it's not going to happen unless he makes it happen. Unless he gets really lucky, that means programming it himself. If you're a programmer and visiting this site you probably have your own game in the works. The chances of someone picking up this game design and running with it is next to none.

If you don't like my opinion, that's great. I'm tired, cranky, and generally jaded by the game industry so feel free to ignore me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Avance Wars Online SUPJC89 1 3,425 Oct 25, 2004 06:18 PM
Last Post: Josh