SDL & Quicktime

DM6
Unregistered

Can someone help me get off on the right foot with playing back a movie in an SDL (C++) app? Should I render to a textured quad in OpenGL? What if I have a sound channel in my file? Is there another API that connects Quicktime to SDL more directly? I don't have any idea how to even begin trying to read a movie file. Can someone who knows the score with this stuff lend a little sage advice?

-Duncan
Quote this message in a reply
For reading a movie file, there's some sample code on Apple's website, look around...

Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath the clear blue sky?
Sage
I'm not so sure that you can use Quicktime through SDL. Using SDL_MPEG would probably be a lot easier.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
DM6
Unregistered

Skorche Wrote:I'm not so sure that you can use Quicktime through SDL. Using SDL_MPEG would probably be a lot easier.

I knew there was an library out there that could save me. Thanks man. Sounds nice, but I can't seem to open the RPM package it comes in; I can't find an expander app, and I'm not so hot with the command line. There's so many opensource tools out there that are so helpful; it'd be nice to be able to use them without needing a doctorate in engineering!

-Duncan
Don't get an RPM on your OS X machine (assuming you're using one)
RPM is usually for RedHat Linux only, unless it's a source archive. Get the sources and compile them yourself. If you must use a RPM, check out rpm2targz

Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath the clear blue sky?