what do you think about cell shading ?

all is in the title
Quote this message in a reply
without and with cellshading (cartoon rendering.. )
[Image: cell-shading.jpg]
I voted "It's really nice i love it!", but I only voted for that because I like the look, not because I think it makes a game any better. Also, it is more fitting for some games than others.
Very cool. Is that guy holding a can of RAID?
Sage
I really like the look, but the gameplay really has to fit the style. For instance, XIII was a pretty cool game in the way it tried to imitate a comic book. I think it worked really nicely. (the AI was terrible however.) The Zelda WindWaker game was also really well done. At first I thought it just looked bad in pictures, but once you see how fluid and perfect the animation fits the graphics style you can't help but say wow. The story was also made to be a little more cartoony (not really in a bad way) to make the style fit.

So if you're going to do cell shading for a game to which it doesn't necessarily fit. You'll probably get laughed at.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
Daniel_Lurie Wrote:Very cool. Is that guy holding a can of RAID?

Spray paint.

I think cel-shading is great from an art perspective. But, people call it too gimmicky. I will have to disagree with those people. I think they fit fine in the games that I've seen that feature cel-shading (Jet Grind series, Wind Waker, and XIII). Jet Grind was supposed to be wild, so the art went along fine. Wind Waker... it was just a good game. Smile XIII was based on the comic book so it fit nicely.

As long as the graphics fits with the game's style, story, etc., go for it. Now to see what Danlab will be releasing soon...
I think it is great if done correctly.
jabber Wrote:I think it is great if done correctly.
exactly....

I believe cel shading should be done to mimic cartoons or anime... I've seen several cases where it was done, just to be done, and in that case, that was way not cool.
Jet Grind Radio is perhaps the best looking cel shaded one I've seen
skyhawk Wrote:Jet Grind Radio is perhaps the best looking cel shaded one I've seen
Are you mad??? I've seen nothing better than Viewtiful Joe.

---Kelvin--
15.4" MacBook Pro revA
1.83GHz/2GB/250GB
kelvin Wrote:Are you mad??? I've seen nothing better than Viewtiful Joe.
Indeed, Viewtiful Joe has the best cel shading ever.
Max
Zelda The Wind Waker as awesome cel shading! Love

Freelance video game artist and video game compliance tester at Enzyme Testing Labs.
what are some bad examples of cel shading?
In the right games it can be awsome(like in Viewtiful Joe and Zelda : Wind Waker).

But then again, everyone else has already said that Smile

"Gameplay Uber Alles. And if you can make it psychedelic too, great!" - Jeff Minter
skyhawk Wrote:what are some bad examples of cel shading?

Well, it's more of a question about which games that featured cel-shading are bad. One that comes to mind is Cel Damage

It was pretty lackluster. Bored The art worked with the game, but the gameplay wasn't much fun.

I found XIII to be alright, and, again, the art worked with the game, but I didn't find it to be amazingly fun. It's mediocre, but not extremely great for a game.
applekid Wrote:Well, it's more of a question about which games that featured cel-shading are bad. One that comes to mind is Cel Damage

It was pretty lackluster. Bored The art worked with the game, but the gameplay wasn't much fun.

I found XIII to be alright, and, again, the art worked with the game, but I didn't find it to be amazingly fun. It's mediocre, but not extremely great for a game.
I liked that gameplay... the graphics were mediocre though...