what do you think about cell shading ?

Cel shading is great. Its nice to see something different once in a while. But what I really want to see is an impressionistic rendered game. That'd be cool.
Quote this message in a reply
Max
You mean like CapcomĂ­s Killer 7 video game for GameCube?

Freelance video game artist and video game compliance tester at Enzyme Testing Labs.
jSTIN Wrote:But what I really want to see is an impressionistic rendered game. That'd be cool.
YES! I'm thinking a game in the world of "What Dreams May Come"... It is something that I have been thinking about... but the computational power needed for that... I'd imagine would be expensive...
Oldtimer
The reason I love cel-shading is here: [url=http://slate.msn.com/id/2102086
]

But to mirror what everyone else has said, cel-shading for gimmick's sake is worthless. Cel Damage comes to mind, yes. There was another adventure game I've forgotten about (it was on the PC) that used it but didn't have any reason to. (They went with a realistic world, realistic movement, and a realistic GUI, and then just broke the lighting and rendered silhouettes).

Speaking of What Dreams May Come, that is one great movie, and one where the special effects team did their job to convey the story, not sell tickets.

I'm currently working on/planning/researching another step towards more hand-drawn graphics, but I can't speak about it just yet. Hush-hush. You'll see towards the end of the summer. Bwaha! :-D

As for you Danlab, I expect you are working on a new game. For you, cel-shading is always the right thing, since that is the tone you seem to keep with your games.
Fenris Wrote:As for you Danlab, I expect you are working on a new game. For you, cel-shading is always the right thing, since that is the tone you seem to keep with your games.

exact , i think colorful game is a good point and really dont like realistic games..
i finished 3 time Zelda WW and i really like cartoon style game

i have some reference in mind
yoshi islands on SNES
Paper Mario 2 on gamecube

i like the idea of paper mario.. becoz it use 3d for the background and sprite pasted on 1 or 2 polygones..

if you dont saw it Islands minigolf is on http://www.apple.com/games/trailers/
you can see how colors can make the difference ! Cool
Oldtimer
WOW! Congrats to the trailer!
Danlab Wrote:i like the idea of paper mario.. becoz it use 3d for the background and sprite pasted on 1 or 2 polygones..

I've toyed with the idea of doing something similar. I even got as far as getting some test graphics done.

My plan was to have the scenary of the game to be more like a stage set though. It was all inspired by the style of the orginalBBC Paddington Bear programme done by FilmFair back in the 1970's.
skyhawk Wrote:YES! I'm thinking a game in the world of "What Dreams May Come"... It is something that I have been thinking about... but the computational power needed for that... I'd imagine would be expensive...
okay, now that apple has release CoreImage/Video, I imagine that this could possibly be in the realm of possibility, but only on modern (late G4s, G5s) computers
should be nice to add some blure effect and toher 2d effect on top of 3d opengl

but we have some nice tool and we can make some fun things with opengl
i made some test in opengl with stencile buffer for making some cellshading
its not bad and fast i go to make more testes, but the idea is taking a different way of game looking and making somthing different.. lets see
Danlab Wrote:if you dont saw it Islands minigolf is on http://www.apple.com/games/trailers/
you can see how colors can make the difference ! Cool

How does a game get put on there? Did you ask apple, or did they put it on themselves?
you just need to send your trailer to apple web site team
Cry but they can refuse your trailer Cry
thanks, how would I do this? Do they have an email address?

Nice trailer by the way.
BeyondCloister Wrote:It was all inspired by the style of the orginalBBC Paddington Bear programme done by FilmFair back in the 1970's.

Who doesn't remember and love Paddington bear? (P.S. they had the show in the 80s too).
I like the idea of Cel-shading, but the only game I've even seen it done in was XIII, and that made a terrible job of it. I don't know what other people thought of it, but the graphics were terrible with artifacts everywhere, and the shading quality itself was pretty crap.

Maybe CMG should do that for one of their competitons. Best cel-shaded game.
Sage
SOUR-Monkey Wrote:the graphics were terrible with artifacts everywhere, and the shading quality itself was pretty crap.

How else do you think it's done? You take a model, turn off opengl lighting, and do the lighting calculations yourself. It's not going to look super smooth unless you are using really high res textures, and really high poly models. Which is true of any game regardless of the shading.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.