21 Days Hints and Tips

Wow, those look nice. I like how you use people's avatars Smile

Chris Burkhardt
Quote this message in a reply
Extra points if someone (besides the creator) can tell me who made the background image. Smile
is there something in the rules against using images? am i not allowed to use card graphics? i could write code to generate them, but i'd rather not. that's a lot of extra work...
Luminary
No, I was just being cheeky, when I'd spent so long getting the cards drawing all nicely, the thought that you might just use a single image per card seemed unfair Wink

I thought I'd done a set a few years ago, but I can't even find them any more. Since it's the sort of thing it would be useful for iDG to have, are there any artists out there who'd like to take a stab? 52 cards + 2 different jokers + 2 different card backs, at a size that they can be scaled down, royalty-free with an iDev theme?
Just a note, if you are planning on using Python in your project, just distribute the compiled bytecode .pyc files and leave the .py files out, and your program will then be moderately difficult to disassemble. (Difficult enough)

-Jon
OneSadCookie Wrote:No, I was just being cheeky, when I'd spent so long getting the cards drawing all nicely, the thought that you might just use a single image per card seemed unfair Wink

I thought I'd done a set a few years ago, but I can't even find them any more. Since it's the sort of thing it would be useful for iDG to have, are there any artists out there who'd like to take a stab? 52 cards + 2 different jokers + 2 different card backs, at a size that they can be scaled down, royalty-free with an iDev theme?

I have a set of playing cards I had downloaded from iDG before the cataclysm. I was going to use them in my 21 entry... but I like OSC's idea of generating them on the fly. Just as an exercise in wasted time... Rasp

That might be a fun contest as well... generate 52 cards
argh! everyone talks about their images, but no-one posts links! i'll keep searching here...
I haven't been able to find any free playing card images at all... Could you post up a link to those assets, GoodDoug? Or could you make your code open source, OSC? I could really use one of them...
Thanks,
Steven

Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath the clear blue sky?
Steven Wrote:I haven't been able to find any free playing card images at all... Could you post up a link to those assets, GoodDoug? Or could you make your code open source, OSC? I could really use one of them...
Thanks,
Steven

I zipped 'em up and put them on my web server...
try http://www.gooddoug.com/PlayingCards.zip
Luminary
Wow, those are, uh, basic...

The source to my card-drawing routine is in Ruby, so it's probably not of significant use to anyone else... if you still want to see it, I'm sure I can put it up somewhere...
Yep, they're not very pretty... but they were all I could find royalty free when I needed some cards.
Bah, Ruby... Would it be easy to port to Obj-C? I've never seen Ruby code... And, thanks, GoodDoug. I'll use those If I don't find anything prettier...

Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath the clear blue sky?
i found some. check around sf.net for card games and look in their cvs trees. kde has some good card images in its games package, too. i think both of these sets are public domain.
blobbo Wrote:i found some. check around sf.net for card games and look in their cvs trees. kde has some good card images in its games package, too. i think both of these sets are public domain.

I bzipped them after ripping them out from KPoker, so here they are.
They were GPL'ed, so I don't think there should be any issues...

(BTW I renamed the files a bit, they make more sense now.)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  "21-Days Later: Carlosvision" Results Carlos Camacho 11 7,231 Jul 7, 2006 11:50 AM
Last Post: Leisure Suit Lurie
  "21-Days Later: Carlosvision" Entries Carlos Camacho 5 7,054 Jun 30, 2006 07:40 PM
Last Post: LaRue
  "21-Days Later: Carlosvision" Contest Rules Carlos Camacho 0 4,678 Jun 9, 2006 08:46 PM
Last Post: Carlos Camacho
  21 Days Later: Predator Score breakdowns Leisure Suit Lurie 36 15,523 Jul 17, 2005 09:58 PM
Last Post: Skorche
  21-Days Later: Predator Contest Results Carlos Camacho 8 13,082 Jun 16, 2005 10:03 AM
Last Post: NitroPye