Sound Effects

I am serious. The iLife 04 box contains a CD and a DVD. The CD has iTunes, iMovie and iPhoto. The DVD has iTunes, iMovie, iPhoto, iDVD and GarageBand.

If you try and install from the CD and you have a DVD it refuses to install and tells you to use the DVD.

Another thing is that when I tried one of the demo GarageBand tunes I got an error about my hard drive not being fast enough to play all the tracks.
Quote this message in a reply
BeyondCloister Wrote:Another thing is that when I tried one of the demo GarageBand tunes I got an error about my hard drive not being fast enough to play all the tracks.

What the ... ? I have read about GB being very processor intensive, but I didn't think for a second that it would be limited by the speed of your hard drive!!! Blink
Marjock Wrote:what is a good porgram for the creation/editing of sound effects, like bangs and laser sounds and explosions, etc. etc. ?

Back to the original question: one of our generous UDG sponsors donated three copies of SFX Machine as a prize. For that reason alone it's worth looking at.

http://www.sfxmachine.com/

There's a demo. It's currently on sale for $99.

Before the hacking hit us I remember there was a news item about a tutorial that someone had written about making your own sound effect (in this case an explosion.) But I don't know if it was our article or someone else's that we linked to.

Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.
MattDiamond Wrote:Back to the original question: one of our generous UDG sponsors donated three copies of SFX Machine as a prize.

But that is not a stand-alone application... this is part of the system requirements:

Quote:A VST 2.0 or Audio Unit host program

That would include a program like logic or soundtrack. There is a complete list on the website FAQ.

For sound effects I've always liked the classic app SoundEffects with the mac's built in microphone Smile Yeah, the quality stinks (relatively), but you can record some interesting noises and do intersting things with them, often just by making sounds with your voice and clipping them.
Good point. I see in the FAQ list that three of the programs that support SFX Machine have free beta versions, so it still might be worth a look, even for those on a budget.

Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.
Gonou
Unregistered

Indeed. It is worth noting that a VST 2.0 / Audio Unit host does not have to be a big shot heavy expensive application. There are shareware and perhaps even freeware apps that are simply "hosts" to run plug-ins.
As always versiontracker.com is a good place to search Wink
GarageBand is great for making sound effects. I made some very convincing explosions very quickly and could easily make lasers, guns, or whatever. It's supposed to be a music program, but hey it is flexible. You could even take a base effect from a different app and save it as an aiff and drop it into GarageBand for some sound effects fun. Then export it back to aiff and clean it up and package it up how you want.

Me thinks the audio scene on Mac OS X is changing like it did with video and iMovie...

My only beef with it is that I can't import midi's, and the Dent du Midi or whatever it is called doesn't work in Panther right now... at least not for me.

-Jon
Marjock
Unregistered

great!, do you think the same would be true for soundtrack?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Nice sound effects website Najdorf 3 6,939 Nov 5, 2012 08:34 AM
Last Post: josephsardin
  Free Sound Effects Jake 15 16,774 Mar 11, 2009 02:49 PM
Last Post: wootwootsound
  New Sound Effects site emr82 3 4,241 Aug 27, 2006 06:16 PM
Last Post: codemattic
  More sound effects - CastlesMusic.com Himiona 2 3,207 Aug 25, 2004 11:21 AM
Last Post: Himiona
  Sound Effects - Free for all Himiona 4 4,231 Mar 19, 2003 03:37 AM