3D animation?

Blake
Unregistered

does anybody know how one would go about animating a 3D model for a game?
Quote this message in a reply
Apprentice
The way I did it was by animating all my key-frames in Cinema 4D, then exporting each one of these keyframes as .obj files. After that I use my own tool to convert the obj files to a single md2 that i use in-game.
I bet there are much more efficient ways of exporting animated models but this works fine for me.

.johan
DoG
Well, there is the aforementioned approach to keyframe the mesh, and then just interpolate. Or, you can build a hierarchical structure and keyframe the primitives, and interpolate. Or, you can use bones to move the mesh, and interpolate. Or, you can use mathematical formulas for animation.

If you don't want to invest too much work, look into using .md2 files, as many editors and code are available, even though it is certainly not the best (technologically) format to use.
Quote:If you don't want to invest too much work, look into using .md2 files, as many editors and code are available, even though it is certainly not the best (technologically) format to use.

Where can I find md2 editors for Mac?
Apprentice
DoG Wrote:If you don't want to invest too much work, look into using .md2 files, as many editors and code are available, even though it is certainly not the best (technologically) format to use.

Not for mac, I just spent a day looking for one. Mad
Unfortunately, I think that is right. I don't recall there ever being an md2 editor for Mac. Have VirtualPC?
jabber Wrote:Unfortunately, I think that is right. I don't recall there ever being an md2 editor for Mac. Have VirtualPC?
Yes, but version 5 wich doesn't work anymore! Cry (on Panther, works OK in 10.1.5)
How about a something->md2 converter for mac?
Even better, how about making a simple "standard" model/animation format as an iDG community proyect? Then we could write importers/exporters and build a library of 3D meshes and add them to the game assets section Smile
Perhaps you might check out meshworks? I have used it in the past to create static models, but I am pretty sure you can do animation with it if I remember correctly.

You can always use something like Amapi (if it is still available) and save keyframes to a well known file format then re-combine to one file.

Lots of options. Meshworks is probably the best to use since it is really simple, but then again I dunno what type of functionality you need.

anyways I guess it depends on how you are doing your animations, Interpolation, Bones, IK?

/* Drunk...... fix later.... */