OpenGL 2d tutorials????

menace690
Unregistered

I am looking for a tutorial for opengl 2d applications. I have been writing my own engine for a 2d game, but I have come on some snags due to my inexperience with 2d opengl. A simple demo with sprites and scrolling would be wonderful.

I also think a demo like this would help more than just me. 3-d game programming is an entirely higher level of complexity which for starters may seem daunting. Its hard enough to make 2-d art for non artists, never mind 3d.

Maybe, if none can be found, we could make the tutorial project that has been discussed recently a simple 2d engine to mimic mario bros or something similar. It wouldn't take months to code, and wouldn't be overly complex.
Quote this message in a reply
http://nehe.gamedev.net/data/lessons/les...?lesson=21

also check out the BOB2 source code (hell if I know where you can find it)
menace690 Wrote:I am looking for a tutorial for opengl 2d applications. I have been writing my own engine for a 2d game, but I have come on some snags due to my inexperience with 2d opengl. A simple demo with sprites and scrolling would be wonderful.

I also think a demo like this would help more than just me. 3-d game programming is an entirely higher level of complexity which for starters may seem daunting. Its hard enough to make 2-d art for non artists, never mind 3d.

Maybe, if none can be found, we could make the tutorial project that has been discussed recently a simple 2d engine to mimic mario bros or something similar. It wouldn't take months to code, and wouldn't be overly complex.

There's the Chopper source code.
There's also the Yoink source code (see my website). Although it looks complicated, when you dig into the code you'll see that all I really do is draw lots of textured quads.

Neil Carter
Nether - Mac games and comic art
menace690
Unregistered

Thanks for the replies everybody. Nether source code was close to what I was looking for. (Didn't check out chopper). However the idea still remains, shouldn't a tutorial be made to make a simple 2d game with scrolling. I mean the Nehe stuff is great, I had already gone through everything they had on 2d, but it never does the one thing that would make life easier on all beginners -> Combine the 2d lessons and explain whats going on.

Now I have a pretty good understanding of mac programming and opengl, but beginners have none. The nehe tutorials are all in windows format. I know you can download the mac versions, but then you are left with source code, not a nice documentation style code as in Nehe's original tutorials.

I think we need a mac tutorial on 2d game programming specifically. I'm sure this would help many more people who get frustrated in starting and give up. I know when I was 15 I gave up trying, tried again when 10.1 came out, gave up trying, and now am working on it again...this time actually accomplishing stuff.

I am seriously considering making my rpg engine open source and making a tutorial out of it when finished. Hell maybe when it progresses far enough I may even open it up to the community so everyone can help.
menace690 Wrote:Now I have a pretty good understanding of mac programming and opengl, but beginners have none. The nehe tutorials are all in windows format. I know you can download the mac versions, but then you are left with source code, not a nice documentation style code as in Nehe's original tutorials.
Most of the written parts of the tutorials are not Windows-specific.
Cripes.. I think people are becoming to lazy these days... don't get me wrong... I like tutorials.. but you can't have your hand held the whole way.. and from your post it seems your donig ok now.

Learning how to program is by doing... not someone showing you how to do...

I say, bite the bullet once in a while and dig into the mountains of documentation that apple provides on their site or buy a book on the subject you are doing.

Tutorials are good n' all.. but most of them simply don't help in the long run (unless they are very good).

My two cents: Keep developing your RPG, don't make it open source, finish it. You'll be a lot further ahead than most people (myself included). Making a tutorial out of a large project like an RPG is probably not the greatest idea unless you feel like writing a mini-series worth of tutorials.

Hank-

/* Drunk...... fix later.... */
Sage
I've found tutorials to be utterly useless myself. They don't give you enough information to figure it out yourself. You usually end up with enough information to do what they showed you and little more.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
menace690
Unregistered

I am not thinking of myself here. Like I said, I am doing ok now. There are a lot of people that come here and ask how to start programming games. We tell them they need to learn cocoa, carbon, opengl, obj oriented programming, etc etc etc. A community project that would give basics along with recommendations for where to learn more about specific topics along the way would be great. ie you get to opengl, explain what the current game needs, how it works, and then if the want to learn more pick up the red book, blue book, and let them know what they can learn from them.

I'm newer here, and I know my voice doesn't carry much weight, but I do have valid points. Tutorials may not work for some, but for others they do.

Tell me how to do something and then show me where to get info on how to expand that knowledge and I'm set.

Tell me to pick up a book (many people can't grasp book learning) and I'd buy the book, get frustrated by a part I don't understand, then quit.

Am I the only one that sees the benefit of a tutorial project????
If any one feels this is a good idea, please post.
Quote:If any one feels this is a good idea, please post.

It is a good idea. Unfortuantly due to other projects I can do nothing to help out in this area right now. Sad
I say this:

If people can't do a little bit of independent learning on their own, learning to program is going to nearly impossible for them.

The problem I think with most people is, they get frustrated learning to program because they can't/have no idea how to write that killer game they had planned and that turns many people away.

And another thing, so many people want to create games but have no idea how much work there is too them and somehow expect to create a huge master piece the first time out but fail to realize you have to put a lot of effort and work into it.

I know your thinking of "other" people more .. but ya what those other people are honestly in good hands when they come to iDev, just about all the developers here are nice and will help a person get on the right path to getting to their goal. A Community project would not help out as much as you think. It would be more an exercise in frustration. The type of development we are doing here; it is more beneficial for a person to work on their own as opposed to working in a team. A project that has a team working on separate things has an entirely different dynamic which is not something I think that would help a person just starting out.

A Community project would not go anywhere, I am not being pessimistic, but this is a website for developers and most of them already are working on projects they wanna do.

Of Course I am just a bitter developer, so that may have something to do with my negative attitude at the moment.

My advice, take the advice of the developers on the forum, try out different methods for learning (Book, internet etc..) then ask questions on the forums thats what they are there for.

Hank-

/* Drunk...... fix later.... */
DoG
Well, writing a GOOD tutorial is harder than writing a good program, and takes considerable time. Many here have probably attempted a tutorial, myself included, but found it impossible to find the time to ever render it useful for others.

And, programming means life long learning, so don't expect any ultimate tutorial. If you cannot research on your own for what you want, you are not destined to be a programmer.
menace690
Unregistered

Alright, it looks like I'm just gonna stick to my RPG on my own.

I do agree that everyone here is helpful, etc.

I just thought it would be a nice alternative to having people start in Metal. Point taken, I'll be quiet on this subject now.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  OpenGL Tutorials with video Taxxodium 14 5,596 May 15, 2008 07:00 PM
Last Post: FlamingHairball
  Beginner-Intermediate level OpenGL tutorials Jones 7 4,365 Jan 9, 2006 12:40 AM
Last Post: AnotherJake
  tutorials for setting up a window in opengl cocoa vbuser1338 6 4,414 Mar 14, 2005 02:16 PM
Last Post: maaaaark
  OpenGL mechanics tutorials? kelvin 4 3,512 Nov 24, 2004 10:10 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  2d game with opengl tutorials roka-tarat 3 10,308 May 1, 2002 03:30 PM
Last Post: Jeff Binder