Free Modeler

Sage
I'm trying to break into 3D space, what is a good (free/shareware) modeler, and corresponding code for loading models? I've been scared off by 3D before, so simplicity/ease is more important that features.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
I always recommend Wings ( http://www.wings3d.com/ ). It's the first modeler I ever "clicked" with, though I did have to do a tutorial or two first Wink

It's also one of only a couple of decent free modelers, the other being Blender ( http://www.blender.org/ ) which has a pretty terrible (though improving) UI.

Both export OBJ, which is the easiest format to use if you don't want animation. There's another thread currently about loading OBJ models, so I won't duplicate anything here, other than to say that even writing your own OBJ loader is not very difficult.
There's going to be a version of AC3D for OS X in the near future. It costs $49.95 but is an excellent package, widely used in the PC and Linux worlds.

See:

http://www.ac3d.org

for more info. There's even a screenshot in the forums.

Wade
Founder
Not sure if it is free, but there is a beta 3d modeler.. begins with "S" which I saw on versiontracker yesterday. The developer makes some cool little apps, like a 2D morph program. Also, look at Cheetah 3D.

Cheers

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
xype
Unregistered

I'm just about to finish the Blender 2.3 Manual (doing the layout), which has stuff from an introduction to Python to character animation (and baking the poses which should be useful for games). Comes with the Python reference on the CD-ROM and is a good value for the $35 it costs. It explains Blender in a nice way and you can also get the OBJ exporter Python script which should help you get the models into your application.

If I were you I'd wait till the book hits the Blender store since it will likely include the Blender Introduction chapter which should help you see whether you like Blender or not. All 3D software is overwhelming without a manual, though, unless really simple (and hence not really useable).
Apprentice
Now, I realise we all love Macs here Smile but I use Truespace (on a PC, there isn't a mac version). Version 3 is free, I got it on a magazine cover disc.
Camacho Wrote:Not sure if it is free, but there is a beta 3d modeler.. begins with "S" which I saw on versiontracker yesterday. The developer makes some cool little apps, like a 2D morph program. Also, look at Cheetah 3D.

Cheers
Sphaera. They also make Morph Age. The Spooky thing is: the guy who makes Cheetah also has a Morph program. MorphX.

How's that for confusing? Huh

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Modeler and Loader Code designdb 3 2,810 May 26, 2003 10:50 PM
Last Post: igame3d
  milkshape modeler for the mac? ghettotek 14 7,123 Mar 6, 2003 06:14 PM
Last Post: ghettotek