OffsetBumpMapping ported

Sage
I ported mogumbo's fancy new bumpmap demo. Those of you with a GeForce FX or Radeon 9600 or better can try it out here:

http://homepage.mac.com/arekkusu/SW/other.html
Quote this message in a reply
Is it supposed to move when you drag the mouse around? Are there any other movement controls?
Sage
You need three mouse buttons to rotate/pan/zoom. You can use GLUT's preference dialog to config modifier keys if you don't have a mouse with three buttons.

T cycles textures
L toggle light movement

(as in the about box.)
nifty program
Sage
Yes, very nifty idea. Makes me want to do more with vertex/fragment programs.

I updated it tonight-- added detail texturing to the shaders (made the textures myself in photoshop) and adjustable parallax bias with +/- keys.
deekpyro
Unregistered

I love it, visually at close range it makes a huge difference. Hopefully within a few months I can setup bumpmapping in my own game and have some real fun experimenting with this.

Great work,
Derek
isgoed
Unregistered

arekkusu Wrote:I ported mogumbo's fancy new bumpmap demo. Those of you with a GeForce FX or Radeon 9600 or better can try it out here:

http://homepage.mac.com/arekkusu/SW/other.html
I don't have the hardware to run this, but I would like to know how you created those heigt maps. Especially the texture "roots.jpg" just seems like a regular photograph. How do you make a height map from a 2D texture?
Sage
There are three images per texture:
* roots.jpg, a 24bpp photo
* roots_height.png, an 8bpp greyscale height map
* roots_detail.jpg, an 8bpp greyscale detail map

The photo is just a photo, tweaked to tile seamlessly. The height map was created by an artist to add a rough sense of depth to the photo. Basically, with the paintbrush tool in Photoshop. It is converted into a DOT3 normalmap at runtime, look at setupNormalMap() in the code to see how.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  SDL already ported to Mactel? MarkJ 8 4,604 Jul 1, 2005 10:49 PM
Last Post: ravuya
  Fur Demo Ported OneSadCookie 17 6,776 Jan 2, 2003 09:30 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie