Image Slicing

Limes
Unregistered

Anyone know of a relatively easy method/tool on the mac which can imitate PSP's Image Slicer function? That is, I've got a large-ish image with about 300 evenly laid out 23 x 26 sprites, and I want to turn it into 300 individual image files. Photoshop doesn't appear to be able to do this, neither does Appleworks.

I'm dreading having to do it manually... There must be an easier way...
Quote this message in a reply
write a photoshop script. surely that could solve your problem.
Limes
Unregistered

Photoshop script?... I'm afraid I don't really know how to do that. Sad
Maybe try GraphicConverter? I know it can composit many single sprites into one file, so I think it can also do it the other way round.

Have a look anyway.

- Iain
While I know of programs and scripts that will combine multiple images into one automatically, I don't know of the reverse. However, Image Ready (that comes with Photoshop) allows you to slice up an image and then save out the slices as separate images (all at once).
While I was working out the animations for Yoink, I wrote a Photoshop script which takes one animation frame from each layer of a Photoshop document and pastes them into a new document in a grid arrangement. That's not what you asked for (almost the exact opposite, in fact!), but it suggests that what you want is possible.

If you like, I can post my script for you to dissect. BTW, you'll need Photoshop 7 or newer and the scripting extension installed for it to work.

Neil Carter
Nether - Mac games and comic art
Limes
Unregistered

ImageReady did exactly what I wanted. Smile Thanks for your help.
DoG
Photoshop 7 and higher have custom slices built in. You can tell it to slice automatically based on image properties, slice a grid, or manually adjust the slices to your liking. Its quite nice to work with, too.
Limes
Unregistered

Sounds very useful. But, I've only got Photoshop 6.