Panther + BoingX

Apple's borderless OpenGL content demo, BoingX (direct: ftp://ftp.apple.com/developer/Sample_Cod...BoingX.sit info: http://developer.apple.com/samplecode/Sa...BoingX.htm) used to work fine on Jaguar. However, Panther seems to have screwed it up:

Open app, you will be presented with a borderless (but fully opaque) OpenGL view, with a ball bouncing around in it. Press 'm' to enable multisampling, 'l' to enable lighting (note: lighting "fades" in, give it a second), and finally, 't' to knock out the background in the OpenGL view, leaving you with a OpenGL ball bouncing around your desktop.

Only 't' doesn't work on Panther. The background begins to fade out, and then everything either disappears all together, or you are left with a window with an OpenGL view with a bad pixel format (that's what it looks like anyway). This erroneous view either is all white (with small holes of transparency in it, through which I can see my desktop), or appears to have the top-left of Panther window title-bars (close, minimize, maximize buttons) stretched across it (interlaced, every other line being fully transparent).

Has anyone found a way around this? I'd really love to use this effect.
Quote this message in a reply
OK I think I found the culprit.

In the OpenGLView class in the BoingX project, line 437:

Code:
if(bounceInsideWindow)        
    [[self openGLContext] flushBuffer];    
else
    glFlush();

Apparently, glFlush() doesn't work. Just replace that whole block with [[self openGLContext] flushBuffer];
It works OK on my Mac (without any changes)
Panther (10.3.1), ATI Rage 128Pro (16MB,AGP 4x), G4/466
you can try ventilloo here.. Holmes use this transparent thingy
http://holmes.danlabgames.com/
Perhaps it's just 10.3.2...
I verified that this does not work on two different machines (one with nVidia and one with ATI).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  SDL_image + libpng + Panther = version mismatch BobbyWatson 2 3,920 Oct 23, 2005 03:55 AM
Last Post: BobbyWatson
  OpenAL comes with Tiger, but what should I do for Panther? TomorrowPlusX 3 3,131 Jun 7, 2005 10:56 AM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  "boingX" (transparent ogl) under carbon GioFX 2 3,126 Jun 29, 2004 09:08 AM
Last Post: GioFX