Cocoa Game Programming for Dummies

Apprentice
There was an earlier thread on here about community tutorials which seems to have died out. I'd like to recommend this idea again.

I've tried several times to learn from some of the sample code that was posted here, but many times the projects are simply too large. I really had no idea where to start, and in many the comments in the code didn't help much.

I don't think they should be anything too ambitious. It does need to start out simple, even if a tutorial only ends up being 100 lines of code and a couple of pages to explain. Here's what I think would be useful:

Drawing an image in a window
Animating images
Moving images using the keyboard (especially arrow keys)
Moving the images using a mouse
Collision Detection
Playing sounds on events

This would be a good start. I think once you get past those basics, you're ready to get going. The only thing I really know how to do out of all of these is drawing images in an NSImageView.

I would be willing to help with this project, to the largest extent I can. I'd probably make a great tester for the tutorials, and can give feedback before they get published.

Also, I have the book Java Game Programming for Dummies, which I think we could use as a basis for tutorials beyond the basics. It includes several different games, such as Pong, Golf, Pool and others. The authors give permission to reuse the code in your own projects, and the book is out of print, so I don't think it is a problem to use them.

I hope others would be interested in doing this along with me.
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
*plugs Xcode/GLUT tutorial, though unfinished*

http://onesadcookie.is-a-geek.net/~keith/XcodeGLUT

OK, it's not Cocoa, but since you'd probably use GL in Cocoa anyway, it should be mostly relevant...
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Upcoming Multiplatform Game Programming Book for Beginners JazonYamamoto 3 1,503 Apr 14, 2014 05:55 PM
Last Post: JustinFic
  Game engines with object programming JonnyThunder 3 8,220 Aug 16, 2010 10:42 AM
Last Post: SethWillits
  free mac game programming book jaked 4 6,790 Jun 8, 2009 12:48 AM
Last Post: SethWillits
  Game Programming Tutorial markvw 0 4,314 Jan 27, 2009 05:10 AM
Last Post: markvw
  Game Programming for iPhone? Help with Cocoa and MVC. holografix 7 6,688 Jan 22, 2009 08:17 AM
Last Post: AnotherJake