cheat codes

I have a few cheat codes built into my game that I am planning on disabling for actual releases. My reason is that when I played games, after I started doing cheat codes I quickly stopped playing... things just got boring.

Are there any striking reasons I'm missing to why I should have cheat codes in the game?

-Jon
Quote this message in a reply
I agree that it can be quite a controversial decision. But, just to let you know how I play. Whenever I use cheats in games, I only use them to screw around and have some extra fun with the game. I never actually try to beat the game with cheats enabled fro my own personal reasons. Because if I do beat the game using those dirty cheats, I feel like I have missed something playing it, so I just use them to have 5 minutes of fun. You know? That's why it's cool when you throw in 'fun' cheats, things like 'Big Head Mode' and 'Trippy Colors', and all that stuff.

Another method is, you can have players earn cheats. Like if they accomplish a certain task or does it really well. In the end, it's up to the player to decide if they want to use the cheats. I know that not everyone is like me and they just want to beat the game under all circumstances possible though. And that's exactly where the problem is.

Also, there is yet one more option. What if you were to somehow change the game a little if they had a certain cheat enabled. Change it so it's a little harder, or maybe do some other stuff with it. Just some ideas. In the end, I vote 'yes'.
Sage
Cheat codes rule. Just don't make them obvious like "GODMODE". Make them more subtle, like LLRRUDUDBAS.
What type of game is it? If it's a puzzle game or an arcade-style game where the goal is simply to score as many points as possible or to advance as far as possible, then there really isn't any point in having cheat codes. If, on the other hand, it's a more level- or narrative-oriented game, you may want to consider keeping them in.
The game is a continuation of my uDevGames 2003 entry Papa Pizza Patrol. It is a 2d parallax scrolling game where you pilot your pizza wagon around different worlds to deliver pizza while avoiding nasties and keeping the pizza in back from getting destroyed. So there are different phases on each world, and probably about 4 different worlds total.

-Jon
By all means leave them in, but either make the player work for them or don't tell anybody that they're there until after the game's been out for a while. If you let everybody know all the cheatcodes when the game is released, and then also let the player use them right away, the potential for cheating is too high. And once the player uses them just once to beat a level, it's all over.

And that's UUDDLRLRBAS.
Bachus Wrote:By all means leave them in, but either make the player work for them or don't tell anybody that they're there until after the game's been out for a while. If you let everybody know all the cheatcodes when the game is released, and then also let the player use them right away, the potential for cheating is too high. And once the player uses them just once to beat a level, it's all over.

And that's UUDDLRLRBAS.

I think I won't have them enabled until you beat the game, and then have them secret for a long while. (Until sales dwindle)

-Jon
Good idea (what i was going to say). Have cheat codes that make the game fun though. Like, Slow Mo, or weird things that dont effect gameplay just seem cool. Like the pizzas are aliens, or u fly around in a shoe. Or, invisible mode. If they type in a cheat before they finish the game, they go invisible, so that they cant see where they are! Also, add some easter eggs.
Nibbie
I think all cheats should be fun, but maybe have a devMode type cheat that gives you no collision detection but stopping you from saving your game or beating anything. In Leuardra (my RPG) I am adding secret areas(in game) and easter eggs, not cheat codes. Secret areas are much more fun.
Nibbie
well, for some reason (especially in tomb-raider puzzle games) you can get a block that lasts for weeks about how to solve part of a level, and then never play the game again. how about cheat points, (this is of course not visible to the players who don't cheat) which you can spend, you get a certain number of cheat points for the whole game, something like a temp god-mode cheat would use a lot of points, a level skip would use loads of points, summon ammo for a pistol? very few points. Anway, it would mean you could cheat to avoid certain parts of the game where for some reason you can't pass it, but afterwards you would still be able to play the game because you couldn't cheat again for a while.
I usually don't like cheat codes, but I read a convincing article about how cheat codes should be left in a game -- if a player has fun running around with cheat codes on and no challege .... why take that away from them? Especially if it means an extra sale for you?

If it is shareware, maybe do not enable cheat codes unless the player registers, so that they at least give you money before they make themselves bored of the game by abusing cheats Ninja
Nibbie
hehe, or, if your games is good enouygh, sell the cheats individually afterwards....

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  If you can cheat in a game, does it hurt the gameplay experience? mercy^4 12 6,387 Jun 3, 2013 05:28 PM
Last Post: SitrepGames
  Cheat Codes kodex 12 7,431 Oct 30, 2006 01:21 PM
Last Post: Krazygluon
  Adding Cheat Codes to your Mac game Baldock 2 5,544 Mar 10, 2005 10:20 PM
Last Post: Baldock