Free bones modelers?

I've settled on Wings3D for my character modeling. It doesn't however support any kind of animation or skeletal modeling. What free software packages can I use to add bones to the models I create with Wings3D?

I'm looking for ease of use and fast work flow as I don't have much time to invest in this right now.

(btw, I like the new squarlies. Mad !Grin )

---Kelvin--
15.4" MacBook Pro revA
1.83GHz/2GB/250GB
Quote this message in a reply
This looks like a job for
iGame3D

To my knowledge the only format supporting bones is Meshwork, but you can cycle .obj, .3ds, .lwo, and Coalesce models in and out of it.

Oh Coalesce also supports bones (possibly better than Meshworks format) but I don't know when Robert will have a new version of that coming.
BobimusPrime
Unregistered

Yeah, it's probably about time to update Coalesce now that its Winter break and all. It works totally fine the way it is now (has skeletal animation and stuff) but there are features I should to be adding in there. Coalesce can only load in Meshwork formats for models but that should change soon as Meshwork has some big problems with texturing.

Give it a spin at
http://www.bobbosoft.com/model.html

There is a project on that same page with code for loading the models into your own project.

Robert
Quote:Originally posted by igame3d
This looks like a job for
iGame3D
I don't want a scripted engine, I'm making my own engine.

---Kelvin--
15.4" MacBook Pro revA
1.83GHz/2GB/250GB
jamie
Unregistered

Doesn't Animator for Dim3 do bones? I'm not sure, but I think I've heard people here say it does.
Quote:Originally posted by kelvin
What free software packages can I use to add bones to the models I create with Wings3D?

I'm looking for ease of use and fast work flow as I don't have much time to invest in this right now.

iGame3D and Coalesce are the only free modelers you will find to handle what you need.

iGame3D is the only free modeler that will support
3DS files saved from Wings3D.

Of course you can always build a modeler with your own engine.
Quote:Originally posted by jamie
Doesn't Animator for Dim3 do bones? I'm not sure, but I think I've heard people here say it does.

I don't think the new version of Dim 3 Animator is out.
My understanding is that it has been overhauled and he's waiting to finish some things up before releasing.

The Source for Animator was released in June..should be a thread floating around here for that.
kberg
Unregistered

Quote:Originally posted by kelvin
I've settled on Wings3D for my character modeling. It doesn't however support any kind of animation or skeletal modeling. What free software packages can I use to add bones to the models I create with Wings3D?

(btw, I like the new squarlies. Mad !Grin )

... I'm working on it ... Wink No promises as to when I'll have something ready to use, but it will be free.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Bones, vertex skinning TomorrowPlusX 7 6,078 Jul 16, 2011 06:13 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie