Constructive criticism

Quote:Originally posted by David Drew
Constructive criticism is very well accepted to most any developers including us but like I said that was far from it.

FWIW, I think OSC's replys were very constructive!

Why?

Because this is what you would expect an average Mac gamer to feel after playing each of the games. Much of the time we, as developers, lose sight of who it is we're making the games for, and in the end it shows when the average joe comes by, downloads the game and double-clicks the executable expecting it to play. Can we fault him that he is extremely disappointed because it doesn't "just work" as he has come to expect from other Mac software? Of course not, it is our duty as developer's to make sure our customers have a bright and cheery experience with our software, else it will just end up wasting most people's bandwidth. If you make a game which is multiplayer only and your customer tries to play but cannot join, what enjoyment is he getting out of the title? Should we be upset with him because he didn't get super excited about being able to *only* play the training mode?

Remember people, developer's need to have a thick skin in order to parse through their hurt feelings in order to see the diamonds hidden in the rough. Take a second look at what OSC said about your game... I know for a fact that what he said about my game was dead on the money.

Cheers,
Rocco
I agree that a developer needs negative feedback, maybe even more so than positive feedback. However it is just a shame that this level of feedback was not provided before the final builds were released.

In a production environment these issues would have been picked up by beta testers and resolved before the titles were released to the public.
David Drew
Unregistered

We've had a great deal of negatives as well as positives and don't mind them one bit. Infact we welcome each and every one. Hopefully they will help produce a better quality title. The response wasn't a reference to our game but to each review that was given. Most every comment was negative. If the average gamer hates games that much, it is a sad world for developers. People here (OSC especially) understands this was a contest for amateurs and shouldn't go blasting off about each and every game as if he was a flamer on the img forum. We are all here to encourage one another to make better games and further our experience in the field (or so I think).
Quote:Originally posted by David Drew
We are all here to encourage one another to make better games and further our experience in the field (or so I think).

And so we are! Unfortunately, the title of the thread is "Game mini-reviews", and with 40-odd games to comment on I don't think we should be upset with OSC that he had to be brief and only touch the most pertinent issues on each one. I understand that his tertness probably angered a few people, but try not to turn him into some evil monster because of it Wink

Quote: In a production environment these issues would have been picked up by beta testers and resolved before the titles were released to the public.

You'd be surprised just how many things beta-testers can miss. The lesson here is that when you're an indie developer you are the design, production, and (perhaps the most important of all) the QA team as well Wink

I'm sure that the lessons learned at this uDevGame will only improve the entries of the devs which try again next year.

Cheers,
Rocco
Luminary
Would it be a problem if Holmes added an option to turn off the parallax scrolling of the backgrounds, and eased down the difficulty of the pirates in the early game? I doubt it. The first would make the game more accessible to at least me (and probably others), and the second to many people.

Yes, the comments are all negative. I wasn't out to congratulate everyone on what a good job they'd done, I was making quick notes to myself about the areas the game most needed improvement in, to aid in voting. I thought I'd post those comments here so that those who are interested in improving their games can see what I consider to be the areas that most need work.

I'm sorry I offended everyone by not giving them a big pat on the back along with the negative; the comments here certainly don't mean I didn't like the games or enjoy playing them, and certainly don't mean I didn't rate the games highly. I think everyone who finished a game for the competition deserves a big pat on the back, and I think we got some incredible games out.

Ultimately, the competition is about producing games, though. Gamers are not developers, they don't understand about installing frameworks, they're not interested in multiplayer-only games with no players, they're not interested in games that crash on startup, they're not interested in games that rearrange their icons and windows. Ignore these things at your own risk -- the risk of far more hurtful and far less helpful things being said on VT and MGF.
Thread Closed